DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: Shocks install

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Thanks for the specs on the torque! Great Job man!!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

One of the best explained and most comprehensive DIYs I have ever read here. Mad respect.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Last thing, did you ever have to cut down the bump stop? I am going to use your DIY in the spring to install the eibach. I remember someone mentioning to me that I had to shave them down, can someone confirm? thanks again.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Members

Note

when doing the right hand side , be careful of this linkage

It is a suspension position sensor of some kind. If you try lowering the lower suspension arms without undoing the lower arm pivot bolts in the chassis , you can over extend the rod and damage the angular position sensor, I did undo the lower pivot a long way and only afterward did I notice that the mounting bracket for the sensor had pulled down with the arm, and was ok , Undo the chassis bolt a long way , not just loosen it and the mounting bracket will pivot with the sensor and rod and not cause any damage
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the Xenon autoleveling sensor arm.

Great job. Nice of you to share with us.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Awesome DIY i can't believe i missed it! I can't believe Rizbel is in his 50's!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 PM
ODB
Members

Thanks for the awesome DIY!

Some additional notes for the front struts:

- Step 4: mark the position of the centering pin/nub in the upper strut mount. You want to put it back in the same spot later.

- Step 5: put painters tape or similar around the wheel well edge to avoid scratching it.

- Step 5: even for standard suspension, you don't need to unbolt/remove anything else other than what's shown in the DIY. It is hard but not impossible to get the strut out. I put the spring compressors on while the strut was still on the car, put my foot on the brake caliper and pushed down while pulling the strut toward the rear of the car. Keep at it and you'll eventually work it out. More advice: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

- Step 5: "pushing the strut assembly out of the spindle" may involve lots of WD40, pulling/twisting, and cursing.

- Step 5: support the hub/suspension with a paint can or a box or something while you work on disassembling the spring/shock.

- Step 6: I had to use an impact wrench to remove the top nut. If you don't have one, I bet you could bring the struts to a mechanic and get some cheap help on this step.

- Step 7: carefully note/mark the position of each end of the spring on strut and rubber pad. You can mark it with paint, take a picture, or compare it to the other strut. There's a good photo here: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/66/88

- Step 7: clean the metal parts with brake cleaner and the rubber parts with glass cleaner before reassembling. Also clean the spindle well so you can slide the new strut in all the way.

- Step 8: tightening the shock-to-mount nut properly can be a challenge. There's a great tip on page 7 of the bavauto.com Spring 2007 newsletter: http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf

Adding another search tag: "Replace E60 front struts"
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Members

Awesome DIY...

Never replaced a shock in my life and i did one of the read shocks myself in 2 hours. But it looks like i took the easy one (driver side) right away
Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Members

Step 6: I had to use an impact wrench to remove the top nut. If you don't have one, I bet you could bring the struts to a mechanic and get some cheap help on this step.
This is not necessary. The top of the shaft has a imbus/torx hole you can use to keep the shaft in one place while turning the nut.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm such an idiot.
I changed my shocks too... but i forget to unbolt the lower pivot of that autoleveling sensor arm...
Hopefully nothing happened to the sensor. Autoleveling is running ok.

Quick Reply: DIY: Shocks install