DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY : Mtech Front Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All -

Here is my DIY to remove the mtech front bumper. The reason I decided to create this was because I never found complete, common sense directions on the forum. Yeah, I read the TIS documents but didnt feel like this went into enough detail. Here is a nice, step by step DIY to help you remove the bumper with pictures. Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

I left the DIY in word format as I didnt have the capabilities to convert into PDF.

This was in reference to my original topic: https://5series.net/forums/topic/928...&#entry1097659
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by mag75
All -

Here is my DIY to remove the mtech front bumper. The reason I decided to create this was because I never found complete, common sense directions on the forum. Yeah, I read the TIS documents but didnt feel like this went into enough detail. Here is a nice, step by step DIY to help you remove the bumper with pictures. Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

I left the DIY in word format as I didnt have the capabilities to convert into PDF.

This was in reference to my original topic: https://5series.net/forums/topic/928...&#entry1097659
Nice write up. I do agree with step no.3- you dont really have to take the tires off
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Members

All -

This was great! Very helpful for the future. Please post if you ever remove the rear bumper!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Members

Thank you for a very informative DIY. We need more of this.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Troush
This was great! Very helpful for the future. Please post if you ever remove the rear bumper!

Thanks!

Thanks. I try and create a DIY for everything I do to the car, unless of course there is one already on here.

I will definitely post the bumper if I ever remove.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Thanks for posting this. I need to replace the outer PDC sensor on my E61, so this will help a lot.
One question though, when you take out the front headlight are you able to see / access the front PDC sensors?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kErb
Thanks for posting this. I need to replace the outer PDC sensor on my E61, so this will help a lot.
One question though, when you take out the front headlight are you able to see / access the front PDC sensors?
That is a good question but I cant help you out unless you give some more detail of where it is. I dont have PDC so I am not sure where it is located.

I can tell you this though, after you remove the headlight you have access to a lot of things....fog lights, headlight washers, horn, part of the radiator....so if these things are around the PDC, you should be good. If you snap a pic I can give you a better answer.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Hi Mag75
If you don't have PDC it would be difficult for you to confirm. The PDC sensors are located in the front bumper about half way between the bottom of the headlight and the foglight. There are two sensors on either side, one near the grille / number plate and one near the corner of the bumper under the headlight area. The headlight doesn't look difficult to take out so I will take a look once the replacement sensor arrives.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kErb
Hi Mag75
If you don't have PDC it would be difficult for you to confirm. The PDC sensors are located in the front bumper about half way between the bottom of the headlight and the foglight. There are two sensors on either side, one near the grille / number plate and one near the corner of the bumper under the headlight area. The headlight doesn't look difficult to take out so I will take a look once the replacement sensor arrives.
From what you say, I think the sensor located in the corner of the bumper will easily be accessible after removing the headlight....the other one, however, might be a little difficult.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Members

From what you say, I think the sensor located in the corner of the bumper will easily be accessible after removing the headlight....the other one, however, might be a little difficult.

Keep us posted.
All fixed. You were 100% correct, I took out the headlight and the outer PDC sensor was easliy accessible. The job was done and dusted within 30 minutes. Thanks once again for the advice, as I didn't fancy taking the whole bumper off!!

Quick Reply: DIY : Mtech Front Bumper Removal