DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY LCI taillight retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 AM
mja
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Had: 530D 170kW Black 6MT

Hello again,
I would like to warn you (well, at least people in Europe) about a certain Romanian wrc.rider -person who sells badly made copies of Bruce Miranda's cables on Ebay. I bought mine for eur150 a couple of months ago and the seller claimed he had sold his E60 and was selling 2nd hand Bruce Miranda cables for me. After I had already closed the deal, I was contacted by Bruce Miranda and warned about the cables that they are probably not made by him but a copy. After I got the cables, I tried them and they worked, so I thought that I'd keep them. There was a strange buzzing noise though from the left unit that stopped after a couple of days.. only for me to realise a bit later that now one of the bulbs was dimly lit all the time. I took the unit open and was shocked.. well, have a look at the attached picture.
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-circuit.jpg

NOW THIS GUY IS SELLING SEVERAL OF THESE SETS ON EBAY. Do _not_ buy from him! He is now asking for eur210 and claiming, that he is giving some sort of extra cabling (worth eur45..yea right) that would do the trick for the front LCI lights! This is total BS - he is just selling what's left of the BMW LCI-light cabling set after he's used the plugs for the rear lights. This BMW cabling set costs ~eur23 total.

Since I usually want to learn if I make mistakes, I had a look at the circuit (a relay was broken) and designed myself a new board (and asked a fellow who is in an electronics student club to etch me a decent PC. I also think that the relays are not necessary. The relays can be replaced by a couple of transistors and a zener (if someone is interested, I can send the schematic).
Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Hey. Just trying to get up to speed on these LED tail lights for Pre-LCI vehs.

If I understand correctly -

1. Get OEM LCIs from BMW - ie. Gary @ BMW of Newport (and I presume these will be Amber turn signals ??? )

2. Purchase Bruce's cables

This sounds like a more dependable way to mod the tail lights than say this ebay item (with resistors) ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=

Thanks for bearing with me if these questions are redundant (again).
Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by sportzfan76' post='719086' date='Nov 12 2008, 04:52 PM
Hey. Just trying to get up to speed on these LED tail lights for Pre-LCI vehs.

If I understand correctly -

1. Get OEM LCIs from BMW - ie. Gary @ BMW of Newport (and I presume these will be Amber turn signals ??? )

2. Purchase Bruce's cables

This sounds like a more dependable way to mod the tail lights than say this ebay item (with resistors) ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=

Thanks for bearing with me if these questions are redundant (again).
The lights in this ebay listing are not the OEM lights. They are aftermarket lights so cannot be considered as an option for the LCI lights.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Contributors

OMG..that looks like a mc donald straw used as insulation...

i use bruce's cables, well made and no chance of my car catching fire...
you get what you pay for.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='719125' date='Nov 12 2008, 12:43 PM
The lights in this ebay listing are not the OEM lights. They are aftermarket lights so cannot be considered as an option for the LCI lights.

Bruce - just to clarify ...Your cables only function properly with OEMs and not the various aftermarket lights that are available on ebay, etc ?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by sportzfan76' post='719157' date='Nov 12 2008, 06:16 PM
Bruce - just to clarify ...Your cables only function properly with OEMs and not the various aftermarket lights that are available on ebay, etc ?
I'll rephrase that a bit.

My cables ONLY function with OEMs.

The various other aftermarket lights do not need any special cables at all.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Bruce do you know of anywhere in the UK I can source some LCI rears or is it dealer only?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Dealer , Breakers or eBay.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Thanks to Dav for this excellent thread, I fitted my LCI lights today using the write-up.
Also a massive thanks to Nick (M3>535d) for supplying the Lights and Cables and agreeing to take time out of his day to meet me halfway

I'm currently using Bruce's V4 cables and have found that when the lights are on "Auto" & I start the car there is No Strobing; But if the lights are in any other position and the car is started there is Strobing for around 4-5 seconds.

DIY LCI taillight retrofit-lciretrofit3.jpg

DIY LCI taillight retrofit-lciretrofit4.jpg

DIY LCI taillight retrofit-lciretrofit6.jpg

DIY LCI taillight retrofit-lciretrofit7.jpg

DIY LCI taillight retrofit-lciretrofit25.jpg

Sag
Old 01-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

I will be doing this mod for sure, but my wallet will be so much lighter

Quick Reply: DIY LCI taillight retrofit