DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY LCI tail-light retrofit (cheaper method)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ricky,

What is the difference with this new mod as compared to your original mod?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Peppermintloft' post='1014766' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi Ricky,

What is the difference with this new mod as compared to your original mod?
Save the time, no need to reverse the bulb, just jump one resistor in between.
Forgot to tell you need to remove the light bulb after mod.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by wolf' post='985464' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:27 PM

The third light only goes on when the driver hits the brake - (Positive confirmation that the brake was pressed). However, under normal driving (i.e. brakes not hit) the third light is off. If you are driving at night and the signals (i.e. brakes under the new mod) flicker, the driver behind will not necessarily have time to go through the analysis of saying to themselves, I didn't see the third light flash. They will simply see the flickering on the traditional brake / signal location and react. Depending on the driving situation they might be forced to react quickly (for example going through a turn). At night (when it is dark) they may not even realize there is a third light because it was unlit...

I'll agree this mod will not guarantee an accident but I think it will increase the probability of one (even if only slightly). Further, it is most likely that if the accident occurs it will be the car behind you and the one that hits that.... I wouldn't want that on my conscience for a mod.

I think many people dislike when drivers weave in and out of traffic, without signaling their intentions. This is similar in that it will be potentially providing misleading signals.

Let me say, I think the mod is cool - I just think the flickering is a bug that should be fixed.

Just my two cents.
+1 well said
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ricky1329
Hi guys,

Last night help other member in alternative method.

Use 2 more resistors 22ohm connected the brake and tail to ground thus to fool the computer worked fine.

Attachment 90742

Left connector
Connect Pin 6 (TAIL) with 22 ohm resistor to Pin 8 (GND)
Connect Pin 7 (BRAKE) with 22 ohm resistor to Pin 8 (GND)

Right connector
Connect Pin 6 (BRAKE) with 22 ohm resistor to Pin 8 (GND)
Connect Pin 7 (TAIL) with 22 ohm resistor to Pin 8 (GND)
Can you explain it a little more clearer? So I need to go get resistors, soldering iron and wires... I'm almost clueless for electronics... I would be grateful if you can post some pics on how you soldered those pieces... and also the pics for the pin 1 to pin 8.. I don't know which one is which... I'm just really confused...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf
The third light only goes on when the driver hits the brake - (Positive confirmation that the brake was pressed). However, under normal driving (i.e. brakes not hit) the third light is off. If you are driving at night and the signals (i.e. brakes under the new mod) flicker, the driver behind will not necessarily have time to go through the analysis of saying to themselves, I didn't see the third light flash. They will simply see the flickering on the traditional brake / signal location and react. Depending on the driving situation they might be forced to react quickly (for example going through a turn). At night (when it is dark) they may not even realize there is a third light because it was unlit...

I'll agree this mod will not guarantee an accident but I think it will increase the probability of one (even if only slightly). Further, it is most likely that if the accident occurs it will be the car behind you and the one that hits that.... I wouldn't want that on my conscience for a mod.

I think many people dislike when drivers weave in and out of traffic, without signaling their intentions. This is similar in that it will be potentially providing misleading signals.

Let me say, I think the mod is cool - I just think the flickering is a bug that should be fixed.

Just my two cents.
Can someone post a video on YouTube that shows how bad the flickering can be? Does it looks like someone is pumping the light on and off or how bad is it really?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer.
Can you explain it a little more clearer? So I need to go get resistors, soldering iron and wires... I'm almost clueless for electronics... I would be grateful if you can post some pics on how you soldered those pieces... and also the pics for the pin 1 to pin 8.. I don't know which one is which... I'm just really confused...
+1 I think a lot of members would appreciate a step-by-step DIY of how you did this.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by neoe60
+1 I think a lot of members would appreciate a step-by-step DIY of how you did this.
Version II have a lot info for your reference.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/882...od-verison-ii/
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by neoe60
Can someone post a video on YouTube that shows how bad the flickering can be? Does it looks like someone is pumping the light on and off or how bad is it really?
plus one of the video.

Need to see how bad is the flickering and how often does it happen.