DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Headlight Lens Restoration! Remove all Grim, Sun & Rock Da

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by elite_motorsports_BMW' post='610663' date='Jun 26 2008, 02:25 PM
No problem! i am here to help my fellow e60 brothers!! The same way they help me!

- 1000 Grit Sandpaper WetorDry (Opitional dont really recommend)
- 1500 Grit Sandpaper WetorDry $4
- 2000 Grit Sandpaper WetorDry $4
- Turtle wax polishing compound "and scratch remover" $3.50
- Meguiar's Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish $6.50
- 2 Polishing/Buffer Pads with drill (or electric polisher if you have one) $5
- Clean rags... HAD
- Masking Tape...HAD
- Water (bottled)...HAD

TOTAL ABOUT $23
Elite,
where can i get turtle wax polishing compunt " and scratch remover
& Meguire's Plastix clear plastic cleaner & Polish

can i find these at AutoZone? or PepBoys?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i Black Sapphire Metalic/Auburn Interior, Sports Package, Premium Package, Side and Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth with IPhone connected.

Originally Posted by RJH&CO' post='612249' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:36 AM
Elite,
where can i get turtle wax polishing compunt " and scratch remover
& Meguire's Plastix clear plastic cleaner & Polish

can i find these at AutoZone? or PepBoys?
Sure I bought mine in discount autoparts.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i Black Sapphire Metalic/Auburn Interior, Sports Package, Premium Package, Side and Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth with IPhone connected.

Originally Posted by elite_motorsports_BMW' post='612257' date='Jun 29 2008, 05:08 AM
Sure I bought mine in discount autoparts.
Has anyone done it yet? I am loving my lights still
Old 07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Members

Good write-up. Thank you.

a bit of constructive critism: keep the tape on until you are completely done, the plastic polish will harm your paint as it is much to abrasive. The polishing pads are a bit too large to avoid hitting your paint which is bad. I would use painters masking tape which is blue or bright green; the reason for this is to avoid adhesive material on your paint but, there is probably not much difference. Otherwise it is perfect!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 320d touring' post='610701' date='Jun 26 2008, 03:00 PM
Looks like new !!

Before everyone here is starting wet sanding their headlights I feel the need to give a little warning. With this process you also remove the UV-protective coating which prevents the plastic to turn dull, so beware that after this the headlights have to be treated more often to keep them shiny.

Exactly... Plexus is a good product for this!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Contributors

isnt it safer to take the headlights off? then do the job? like our member friend did to change his headlights?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have the same thing as you on the head light.
thanks for the info
I will do to my Headlights on Friday.

BTW do you park your car out side in the sun?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

Hi All,

I was worried when I first tried this out, but the results are AMAZING. Erick, you da man! Anyways...I had really bad damage on the headlight lens, so I wet-sanded with 120 grit (it's for wood, I know) and sanded it down until all was smooth. The headlights looked horrible at this point, looked like I took a paint brush with white paint to it! Day 1 of work was finished, came back today and used 600 WETORDRY to take out the scratches left from the 120 grit (used a hose this time instead of a spray bottle). I too used about 2 sheets per headlight...continued on to 1000 WETORDRY with the hose running, I took off the water intermittently to even out the sanding. Finished with 2000 WETORDRY and dried off the lights with a clean rag.

That Turtle Wax polish and cleaner stuff really does work wonders. I went to Lowe's and picked up a Black & Decker polisher/waxer ($26.95 on sale) with some extra pads and what not. Applied the Turtle Wax polish and cleaner with a soft applicator (not a rag) and let it set for a couple of minutes. Make sure you don't let it harden, just a light dry. Took the B&D polisher to it using the wool pad (runs at 4800rpms?) and GONE were the scratches. LOOKS NEW. I re-applied the Turtle Wax polisher 3 times and moved on to the Meguiar's. Used the other side of the applicator and did a light coat, again went over with the B&D polisher (used a new wool pad). Reapplied the Meguiar's 3 more times and did a wipe-down with a soft rag.

I don't have a file hosting site, so I had to attach the images as attachments; you can see how bad the lights were from rock chips and other debris. Cheers! Thanks again Erick!
Attached Thumbnails DIY Headlight Lens Restoration! Remove all Grim, Sun & Rock Da-before.jpg   DIY Headlight Lens Restoration! Remove all Grim, Sun & Rock Da-after-1.jpg   DIY Headlight Lens Restoration! Remove all Grim, Sun & Rock Da-after-2.jpg   DIY Headlight Lens Restoration! Remove all Grim, Sun & Rock Da-after-3.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I would think 120 grit sandpaper is a somewhat drastic measure, but your lights look great! I'm in the process of getting all the required materials and looking forward to this project.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

oh yeah, 120 grit freaked me out, but it REALLY got out all the knicks, completely smooth. the 600 WETORDRY grit will take out the scratches left from the 120 grit. my headlights were completely WHITE from the 120 grit and i sanded down small chunks at a time, but viola! they came out looking real nice!

Quick Reply: DIY Headlight Lens Restoration! Remove all Grim, Sun & Rock Da