DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY changing a damaged M-ASK

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 03/2003 530i manual, silver, leather truffle brown, wood dash, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) , alarm, protective windows, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, phone pro with sliding armrest, nav business/mp3, logic 7, cd changer, rear heated seats, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, fold down rear seats, skibag, run flats on 17" 122-style rims

Hello,

I need to change my M-ASK (DVD Player unit on business navi) due to mechanical problem: I can?t extract the DVD after my 3-year-old son inserted a second CD in the player and broke the load/unload mechanism.
My nice dealer offered me to exchange the M-ASK for 2000 Euros ! (1500 Euros for the MASK)

So I bought a used one from Ebay for 160 Euros and installed it this morning.
It seems after re-connecting the battery, that the MASK does not start at all (black screen on the display, plus fault messages for SOS call and active steering). I installed my old one back, and it starts perfectly, without any fault message (and of course DVD still stucked in the player).

I do not know the reason, why the one I bought does not start: is it normal and I have to go to my dealer? does it need coding? Is it not compatible with my car? Has it got an overvoltage in its previous car?

Any idea?

My old M-ASK is from 3/2003, updated in 12/2006.
The bought one is from 2004, updated in 12/2006 CIP23.2.2

Thanks for your ideas.

Dominique
Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

No idea regarding compatibility (but I do know that early E60 had a very different set of hardware than ~2004 on), but M-ASK installation needs coding, according to TIS.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 03/2003 530i manual, silver, leather truffle brown, wood dash, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) , alarm, protective windows, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, phone pro with sliding armrest, nav business/mp3, logic 7, cd changer, rear heated seats, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, fold down rear seats, skibag, run flats on 17" 122-style rims

I have re-installed the new M-ASK and it is now working again. There must have been some bad connection. There are still some differences between this new one and my original equipment (Logic 7 etc..) but it should be solved after re-coding.
Thank also for your hint dlevi67.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Members

As i did not have time to go to BMW for the coding, i finally removed once more the MASK from the dashboard, opened it, removed the DVD player only from the new MASK and mounted it inside my old MASK, and the whole back again into the dashboard. Now everything is running perfectly, without having to re-code !
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

My respect for that mod!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Members

My Ride: "Angel I's" 2005 525i Debadged, Remote Homelink, Full Burl Package, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, BMW Wheel Stems, Biege Rubba Matz, EURO Tag, Dual Zone Vents, Automatic Car Ventilation, Rescue Kit. Due up: Aux Input, TINT, and K&N Filter and some Zaino LOVE for my Angel.

Originally Posted by adonf' post='398294' date='Mar 4 2007, 10:18 AM
Hello,

I need to change my M-ASK (DVD Player unit on business navi) due to mechanical problem: I can?t extract the DVD after my 3-year-old son inserted a second CD in the player and broke the load/unload mechanism.
My nice dealer offered me to exchange the M-ASK for 2000 Euros ! (1500 Euros for the MASK)

So I bought a used one from Ebay for 160 Euros and installed it this morning.
It seems after re-connecting the battery, that the MASK does not start at all (black screen on the display, plus fault messages for SOS call and active steering). I installed my old one back, and it starts perfectly, without any fault message (and of course DVD still stucked in the player).

I do not know the reason, why the one I bought does not start: is it normal and I have to go to my dealer? does it need coding? Is it not compatible with my car? Has it got an overvoltage in its previous car?

Any idea?

My old M-ASK is from 3/2003, updated in 12/2006.
The bought one is from 2004, updated in 12/2006 CIP23.2.2

Thanks for your ideas.

Dominique
Here's another M-ask.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-05-BMW...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

if all that is broken is the dvd-drive, i think that you are able to switch the drive alone without the entire m-ask. if this method goes good, then you will have a spare m-ask for emergency..

try to take the drive from the new unit and fit it to ur original old m-ask...