DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY CF fabric wrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='963049' date='Aug 2 2009, 02:47 PM
I got the Charcoal Carbon Fiber. I have an all black interior. I was leaning towards titanium but I thought it was a little too loud.

I just finished the install this weekend, and it was TIME CONSUMING (About 4 hours alone)! But not difficult. The only hard part was removing the plugs to the switches of the buttons, I broke a few clips already . I also did not wrap the door handles, because I didnt want to pull apart my doors. So I painted them SATIN BLACK! I think it looks perfect, Too much carbon fiber can be a little cheap looking.

FYI: YOU NEED SUPER GLUE FOR THE EDGES!!!! IT IS A MUST!!!

I will post pics soon!

Cheers!
Joe
which clips did you break?? the one from the center trim?? the one that holds the hazard and door locks buttons?? post pics when you get a chance thanks!!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS' post='963070' date='Aug 2 2009, 06:32 PM
which clips did you break?? the one from the center trim?? the one that holds the hazard and door locks buttons?? post pics when you get a chance thanks!!
The clips that I broke were from the AC controls. There is little lever that you have to pull on the connector in order to pop them out of their sockets. It's tricky, but I didnt realize there was a spot that you PUSH to release that little lever in place. I sort of forced it and broke the little lever

You also should not have any fabric wrapping along the inner walls of your "menu" button near the idrive knob. Anything that gets in there will make your "menu" button stick and NOT pop back up. Also, you dont want fabric near your DTC button area... that space is very little and any fabric that gets in there will give you a hard time placing that DTC button panel back in.

Sorry, I didnt take pics of the install. But let me know if you need any help.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i 6spd

there's a few DIY threads on this forum, but for some odd reason, I haven't seen a complete set of DIY, that includes tricky parts like door handles.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by richard313' post='964269' date='Aug 3 2009, 03:08 PM
there's a few DIY threads on this forum, but for some odd reason, I haven't seen a complete set of DIY, that includes tricky parts like door handles.
i know, hopefully someone will take time to do a DIY with pics, it would really be a big help
Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Hope you get the DIY - I've searched too and haven't found anything on this. Basic principle is simple - you take the pieces, clean them with smth like the glass cleaner tinting places use, spray the 3M Super 77 glue on the trim and the CF fabric, let it dry a little, spray again, let it dry a little and fit the fabric. Make sure to stretch it a little and make sure that you've got all the openings correctly and so on, bc the glue does dry kinda quickly...

That^ said, I'd say - no matter what - you should find a piece of plastic (or 10) that you can simply practice on - practice going around the openings and so on - it will not be pretty if you mess this up. And btw that Super 77 sh!t gets into EVERYTHING!!! I tried is a couple of times and each time was washing it off of everything that was in the area of a sq. mile for like a month... ok, I'm exhaggerating, but you get the point, I think...

GL bro - that's really all I can say...
Old 08-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='964337' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:23 PM
Hope you get the DIY - I've searched too and haven't found anything on this. Basic principle is simple - you take the pieces, clean them with smth like the glass cleaner tinting places use, spray the 3M Super 77 glue on the trim and the CF fabric, let it dry a little, spray again, let it dry a little and fit the fabric. Make sure to stretch it a little and make sure that you've got all the openings correctly and so on, bc the glue does dry kinda quickly...

That^ said, I'd say - no matter what - you should find a piece of plastic (or 10) that you can simply practice on - practice going around the openings and so on - it will not be pretty if you mess this up. And btw that Super 77 sh!t gets into EVERYTHING!!! I tried is a couple of times and each time was washing it off of everything that was in the area of a sq. mile for like a month... ok, I'm exhaggerating, but you get the point, I think...

GL bro - that's really all I can say...

thats what i wanna know really taking the trim pieces off, and hopefully i'll be able to handle the sticky part on putting the fabric hehe honestly im more worried on messing and breaking clips by taking off the trims
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS' post='964353' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:39 PM
thats what i wanna know really taking the trim pieces off, and hopefully i'll be able to handle the sticky part on putting the fabric hehe honestly im more worried on messing and breaking clips by taking off the trims
If you're in SoCal id be more than happy to help you do your interior and document it with pictures for a DIY.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='964506' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:13 PM
If you're in SoCal id be more than happy to help you do your interior and document it with pictures for a DIY.
im in san fernando valley i can come to you dont have much tools with me
Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS' post='964529' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:37 PM
im in san fernando valley i can come to you dont have much tools with me
Yeah cool no prob. Just PM me when you want to have it done. Friday or Sunday would work for me.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS' post='964353' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:39 PM
Just search - there are DIYs on removing the trim on here and on other BMW forums.

Word of advice: wear rubber gloves when even handling the Super 77 - it does not wash off that easy off your hands either.

Quick Reply: DIY CF fabric wrap