DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I am surprised no one has posted this, at least my searches turned up nothing. I am assuming the car I ordered does not come with a CD Changer, since I did not order the Premium Sound package. Has anyone done this, where could I buy the changer? Thank you!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

On my '04 Carrera, I had the CD changer installed after delivery by the dealer, and with the MOST system, it is no small task. After installing and wiring for power and attaching to the MOST fiber optic bus, the dealer needs to program the car to recognize the new device. At least on a Porsche, not a DIY.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I was lucky my Boxster had it already installed. But what I like about this car is that it is the glove-box, so I wont have to get out and run to the front trunk at stop lights! Does anyone know what changer(s) work with a 06 525?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I think all US E60s are pre-wired for the BMW CD changer installation in the glovebox. Its a dealer installed option because it requires software re-programming.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

i think it's a simple diy job but it won't link with idrive. so you have to take it back to your dealer to reprogram it and they'll probably charge you 1-2 hours labor :'(.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

so we can buy our own bmw changers form lets say ebay and just have the dealer program/enable the changer?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

i think so. but make sure you buy the right changer and from a good seller. get the part number correct and ask your service dept about the labor cost first. if they charge you ridiculously high labor, might as well buy straight from them. or you can always ask another dealer to do it.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

I specifically ordered cd-changer prep. Because I wanted MP3 but was in doubt wether that would ever become possible. Costed me like 50 euro from the factory. Now they can attach a changer when i order one.
Without the prep it will be an expensive upgrade for sure.

Meanwhile i'm still waiting for bloody MP3 compatibility. Who needs a middle aged cd-changer when you can put a ton of MP3 on a single disk?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PeterJoyce' date='Apr 13 2005, 06:42 PM
I am surprised no one has posted this, at least my searches turned up nothing.? I am assuming the car I ordered does not come with a CD Changer, since I did not order the Premium Sound package.? Has anyone done this, where could I buy the changer?? Thank you!
[snapback]115067[/snapback]
================================================== ===

Hey PeterJoyce!

I purchased the BMW OEM six cd changer from my BMW dealer along with dealer installation to the iDrive, and my drive out price was around: $750.00 - $800.00 last April 2004

NOTE: I have found two other BMW dealers on the www that will come off 20% to 24% less on the BMW MSRP OEM parts and accessories than most all USA BMW dealers, but being loyal to my BMW dealer, I always run the deal by my BMW Parts salesmen first, (but along with the written evidence), and if he cannot match it, then I take my business to Chapman BMW! (by the way on BMW OEM parts not listed you will have to call Chapman BMW in AZ for a quote)

CLICK ON: aka: Chapman BMW Scottsdale AZ

CLICK ON: aka: Pacific BMW - Glendale CA

I wish I had known this last year when I bought my BMW CD changer! But of course I did try to negotiate price down some, just 10% off, and being my first BMW and without any hard evidence the BMW salesmen gave me that same line that many do, he said: "Hey this is the cheapest we can do this, we are already taking a loss!" (I thought then to myself BS!!! LOL) ...just kidding, but seriously all in all I like my BMW iDrive cd changer, and I am glad I got it!

Hope this helps!

Sincerely.

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

10% off is bs ! almost everyone, even a non-bmw driver, can get this if they ask. try to make friend with the parts manager or your sales advisor. they can give you their employee discount .

Quick Reply: DIY CD Changer