DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Digital TV retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Carbon black 545i sport

Hello all, I'm looking for some guidance on retrofitting an OEM digital TV tuner to my (sat nav pro equipped) 545.
I've managed to source the brackets/cable/antenna kit and tuner separately and made a start on it today.

I got the tuner mounted in the boot and started loooking at the cabling. Now as I'm a data storage engineer, fibre cables hold no fear for me, but the kit I got seems to have 3 or 4 different lengths of cables and terminate in various different plugs (some with just end pieces on them) and without any install guide, I'm totally lost.

My other issue is the replacement antenna. Again without any install guide I'm wary of starting to haul at the roof lining without and idea where the clips etc are!

So I suppose my question is, does anyone have access to the retrofit guide? Or even pass on personal experience of this retrofit?

Thanks

Alan
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

this might help...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry678033
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='749926' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:29 PM

Hi, thanks for that, I did see that posting, but wondered if maybe someone had maybe had any more info.
I've found a link where I can subscribe to the BMW TIS service, so I must do that and get the latest and greatest info.

cheers
Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alan545' post='749943' date='Dec 21 2008, 05:07 PM
Hi, thanks for that, I did see that posting, but wondered if maybe someone had maybe had any more info.
I've found a link where I can subscribe to the BMW TIS service, so I must do that and get the latest and greatest info.

cheers

Got the install guide. Should be an "interesting" wee project!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Your one brave dude, all the very best luck mate, hope it all works first time for you, you deserve it for the bravery lol.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Members

Nothing ventured!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Members

Ok guys, a quick update on this retro-fit.

Got the car recoded and it appears that the TV tuner was "seen" by the coding system, and the TV option now appears in the Entertainment display, but, it's "greyed" out and I can't select it. They called me when they were doing it to confirm the part number of the module and confirmed it was correct before starting recoding.

Having done the aux in retro-fit at the same time, that works fine.

I asked the guys in the service department about how things connected together and wether the fact that the tuner was visible to the coding system indicates all should be well, but they weren't exactly clued up on it, soooooooooo, my question is, is it the MOST fiber cable that allows the CCC to "see" the TV tuner, and the copper wires that are run to the CCC are merely TV type signals?
I'm kinda assuming that if the coding system saw the TV tuner, that implies the MOST bus is correctly connected?

Thanks for any suggestions

Alan
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alan545' post='761592' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:06 AM
Ok guys, a quick update on this retro-fit.

Got the car recoded and it appears that the TV tuner was "seen" by the coding system, and the TV option now appears in the Entertainment display, but, it's "greyed" out and I can't select it. They called me when they were doing it to confirm the part number of the module and confirmed it was correct before starting recoding.

Having done the aux in retro-fit at the same time, that works fine.

I asked the guys in the service department about how things connected together and wether the fact that the tuner was visible to the coding system indicates all should be well, but they weren't exactly clued up on it, soooooooooo, my question is, is it the MOST fiber cable that allows the CCC to "see" the TV tuner, and the copper wires that are run to the CCC are merely TV type signals?
I'm kinda assuming that if the coding system saw the TV tuner, that implies the MOST bus is correctly connected?

Thanks for any suggestions

Alan
I don't know much about these things but sometimes when you add hardware to the e60 it has to be done in 2 stages. First you recode the entire car which you appear to have done. Then sometimes a retrofit procedure has to be carried out which is basically running another piece of software to tell the car to enable the new hardware. Good luck with this.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tubby' post='764369' date='Jan 10 2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know much about these things but sometimes when you add hardware to the e60 it has to be done in 2 stages. First you recode the entire car which you appear to have done. Then sometimes a retrofit procedure has to be carried out which is basically running another piece of software to tell the car to enable the new hardware. Good luck with this.
Thanks for that, the dealer also did the retrofit programming as well. I did have some suspicions about the MOST fibre cable connections, and having reseated them, the TV can now be selected but there is no TV signal, and the only menu options I have is "autostore", but that doesn't seem to do anything. Having read the user manual I need to change the "TV system" country entry from its current setting of Germany to UK under the "video" menu in the I-drive system, as the TV system in the UK is different, but it won't let me do this.

One more small step towards success!!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alan545' post='765076' date='Jan 11 2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for that, the dealer also did the retrofit programming as well. I did have some suspicions about the MOST fibre cable connections, and having reseated them, the TV can now be selected but there is no TV signal, and the only menu options I have is "autostore", but that doesn't seem to do anything. Having read the user manual I need to change the "TV system" country entry from its current setting of Germany to UK under the "video" menu in the I-drive system, as the TV system in the UK is different, but it won't let me do this.

One more small step towards success!!
Have you made any progress in getting this to work?

Quick Reply: Digital TV retrofit