DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

dealer couldn't fix it...so I did!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cost...$0 The dealer had replaced my steering wheel buttons to fix the rattle and failed...made it worse actually. so to fix it I simply inserted some O-Ring material that I trimmed to size and inserted it between the button housing and the steering wheel itself. Problem solved.

As for the trunk, this is great. For some reason my trunk sensor started going off, saying it was open when I was driving and how ANNOYING!! Everytime I stopped and started going again. DING! TRUNK OPEN!! ahhh!! Die in a fire, car!! So after having the dealer replace the trunk latch and saying it was fixed, they failed. I simply adjusted the bump stops out a little more on teh deck lid and voila, no more error message AND for some reason it is also 10x easier to close which baffles me. Either way, tomorrow I'm going in to apply for a BMW tech position
Old 07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

LOL I'm glad to hear you solved the problems... I know how annoying things can get when it just doenst work right.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Members

In my experience, most BMW technicians are good at fixing ' normal ' faults or service issues, but when it comes to annoyances such as noises & rattles I have always been disappointed by them. I too fix them myself now. They tried 3 times to fix my parcel shelf rattle, new shelf/clips/airbag covers ( due to trashing them taking out the shelf ), 4 days off the road, & within 30 seconds I knew they hadn't fixed it. Did it myself in an hour of so by inserting felt like material between shelf & seatback.
I guess they have no interest in this kind of problem, but they should as this is what drives you nuts & ruins the E60 experience.
In my experience, fix it yourself if you can, as you will get a better job done & save a lot of time & aggrivation going back & forth to the dealers..
Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Uk525i' post='317158' date='Jul 31 2006, 09:08 AM
In my experience, most BMW technicians are good at fixing ' normal ' faults or service issues, but when it comes to annoyances such as noises & rattles I have always been disappointed by them. I too fix them myself now. They tried 3 times to fix my parcel shelf rattle, new shelf/clips/airbag covers ( due to trashing them taking out the shelf ), 4 days off the road, & within 30 seconds I knew they hadn't fixed it. Did it myself in an hour of so by inserting felt like material between shelf & seatback.
I guess they have no interest in this kind of problem, but they should as this is what drives you nuts & ruins the E60 experience.
In my experience, fix it yourself if you can, as you will get a better job done & save a lot of time & aggrivation going back & forth to the dealers..
I also guess - but no more than guess - that what is an "acceptable fix" to some it's a bodge to others, so the technician will not even try to fix things in unorthodox but effective ways, just in case this leads to being taken to task for "not doing it properly".

I have fixed my indicator stalk rattle with a little piece of rubber stuck into the hole at the back of the check button (not unlike Dirty30's OR fix), but I really should have taken the stalk apart and put in a stiffer spring... at the risk of breaking the stalk case, not finding the right spring, losing the other button's spring and generally causing grief. But it's my car, my work and my time - plus my risk in case anything goes wrong (the thought of not being able to switch between time and date on the instrument panel is just about unbearable, but the idea of getting the accelerator stuck in fully open position is quite another thing...).

Just my 0.02p

D