DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dash Trim Change Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Members

Them instructions worked a treat!
Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

anyone know where to get trim pieces?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Originally Posted by JTHL
When do we get a new door trim DIY
Thats gonna be the next guide i do, just need to sort out some better pics

Originally Posted by HarryS
Them instructions worked a treat!Thanks
Glad they worked, its good to know

Originally Posted by joebaggg
anyone know where to get trim pieces?
I find that car breakers and ebay tend to be the best for getting bargain priced interior trim, dealers are pathetically over-priced
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by robg520d
This Do-It-Yourself guide is based on myself actually doing the change over in my own, right-hand drive car. I changed my existing silver dash trim to the M5 Madeira trim.

Changing the trim above the light controls:

Firstly, you need to remove the lighting control unit. Note, if you have push button start, then avoid disconnecting this unit, as i would not like to guess what problems could arise from this.

This control panel is merely slid into place. A small plastic wedge placed under the trim at the points shown in the pic above would pry it out easily, and the whole thing should gently slide out and hang free without the cables being removed.

To remove the trim peice, the two screws outlined in the pic above will need to be removed and the whole trim, along with its vent should slide out without a problem. All that you need to do is unclip each of the holds which is keeping the vent attached to the trim and you're done. re-attach your vent to your new trim and repeat this process in reverse and thats your trim changed...
Do the same apply for the pre-start-button models?
My car is a 2004 545i LHD.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Members

Chaps, i have fitted my fascia back, but the part that fits under the stereo above the ashtray does not seem to click in correcly. Its the part that fits around the heated seats and DTC button, is there any specific way of putting it back in. the fascia seems to sit out and not flush.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Originally Posted by mrfva
Do the same apply for the pre-start-button models?
My car is a 2004 545i LHD.

Thanks
Yeah, the whole process is the same for the pre-start button models, you can just unplug the light switches and remove the panel. I wouldn't advise unplugging the start button, thats why i left mine plugged in and hanging around lol

Originally Posted by HarryS
Chaps, i have fitted my fascia back, but the part that fits under the stereo above the ashtray does not seem to click in correcly. Its the part that fits around the heated seats and DTC button, is there any specific way of putting it back in. the fascia seems to sit out and not flush.
I'd suggest that you might have your switch bank in wrong, there a little rail that the switches sit on, and then the panel should clip around it. It is abit tricky to get it to fit, just take the cover off and check its all lining up right before trying it again. Hope this helps
Old 05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Nice detailed diy!I 've just changed all mine from the gloss black wood to the aluminium cube(silver carbon fibre look)and it all went well until I had to release the trim from the heater/satnav facia,the clip's that held that lot in was rock solid and took some reasonable force to release it!One final thing,I had a go at the door trim's but after taking out the two screw's and releasing all the clip's I could'nt get the damn thing to push up and move away from the door,anything here i've missed?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sanj
Nice detailed diy!I 've just changed all mine from the gloss black wood to the aluminium cube(silver carbon fibre look)and it all went well until I had to release the trim from the heater/satnav facia,the clip's that held that lot in was rock solid and took some reasonable force to release it!One final thing,I had a go at the door trim's but after taking out the two screw's and releasing all the clip's I could'nt get the damn thing to push up and move away from the door,anything here i've missed?
If you've tried releasing all screws, including the one under the airbag clip, then released all clips, etc, there is one huge clip that holds it to the door, in tyhe centre of the panel, you need to carefully pull the top of the panel towards you, while lifting it up, to effectively pop it off the clip. You will find that after removing the panel, the plastic clip will remain attached to the door, remove this, and re-attach it to the panel, prior to putting the panel back on the car
Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Doh! I did'nt realise that there was a screw under the airbag clip!Thank's for letting me know and i'll have a go at it once we get a bit of Sun and warm weather here in the UK.

Quick Reply: Dash Trim Change Guide