DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

dash mount cd player

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530D Reg 18th Sept 2003 (uk launch date) xenons, wood, mirror pack, 17" rims, Hi Fi spkr, Met Black On Order 530D M Sport Auto Silver Grey Visibility & Media Packs Wood & Lumber Support

just had my e60 in for service and told that I have two cd's stuck in thr dash player, don't really use the dash player as i have the ipod interface but would like to get the cd player working again.
Dealer quoting the usual kings ransom +vat and just wondered if anyone had any ideas for DIY solution
Old 04-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Take the player out and take it to pieces.
Removing the player is reasonably easy, taking it apart may not be as I've never done it.
With the player out, you may just be able to remove the front panel so you could get a pair of snipe nosed pliers in to pull out one of the CD's, and let the eject mech do the rest
What have you got to lose? You can't use the CD anyway. Perhaps you could get a replacement from one of the breakers that advertise on eBay, or locally to you, then just swap it out.

Mike
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Members

... would you believe 3 cds ??????

Yep, and i got them all out, one by one. And i put them in... can't blame it on the kids or other 1/2 (but i was going to if pushed). Short version, and you are almost there, when i realized i had 2 stuck, i thought i could provide "a path" for the just-about-ready-to-barf cd player to spew out cd #2. I cleared a path with the ... dare i say, 3rd cd. By carefully placing the 3rd cd at the slot opening i could touch cd #2 and was hoping that it would just follow my path-finder cd. Before i could "snatch-the-pebble-from-the player".... the 3rd CD was eaten. Can you believe it... This player can eat like kobayashi eats hot-dogs on espn.... but it can't barf them out. Dealer ? No Way.

Had to pull the front pieces off but leave power to unit,
Hit the eject button, watched what happened, then gave it alot of help.
(I was fortunate enough that the player would cycle from play to eject positions... and figured out when to help the cd out)

I had to help the cd out ALOT. IT was either me or the CD.. I have the 6cd changer and Aux Input - i was not going to loose.

Beware that the cd power harness (on/off/mute switch) needs to be re-connected, otherwise you cannot power on the system - tuner, ipod, or cd changer, you will be stuck.

The in-dash unit is not used but i doubt it works correctly.
I may/may not try to find one on ebay, etc., etc. but w/my luck, will have to $pend more b/c of re-programming ?

Anyways, you're not alone, mike
Old 04-17-2008, 04:48 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D Reg 18th Sept 2003 (uk launch date) xenons, wood, mirror pack, 17" rims, Hi Fi spkr, Met Black On Order 530D M Sport Auto Silver Grey Visibility & Media Packs Wood & Lumber Support
Ok so thanks to evertyone for the help!
managed to get the dash off and removed the facia for the cd drive. once the facia was off I could see the CD's and there was actually three not two! grabbed the discks and pressed eject and one by one out they came with a bit of gentle coaxing.

Thanks agian for the help. This forum is ace!

Originally Posted by arosamond' post='556936' date='Apr 6 2008, 03:41 PM
just had my e60 in for service and told that I have two cd's stuck in thr dash player, don't really use the dash player as i have the ipod interface but would like to get the cd player working again.
Dealer quoting the usual kings ransom +vat and just wondered if anyone had any ideas for DIY solution