DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Cup Holder Quick Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

The problem with the cupholder - pushing a can/cup up - has been addressed in a number of threads. Wolverine suggested a fix he described as "not for the faint of heart" which required removal of the entire cup holder.

I just came up with a quick and easy fix, which after a spirited test drive seems to work. Sorry - no pics.

The problem seems to be excessive spring tension, which forces the two concentric, semi circular "leaves" to push too strongly against the can/cup. There are two springs which create the tension. My fix was to simply remove one.

You can see the two springs by looking striaght up from the bottom of the cup holder. They are coil springs and run parallel to the ground. There seems to be a third spring, running veirtically, but I did not mess with that one.

Each spring is on an arm at the end of the leaves. The coil springs wrap around the arms. The arms fit into recesses on the cup holder body in a typical male /female arrangement. The leaves and the arms on the leaves are plastic. By simply grabbing the center of the leaves and one end, you can deform the leaves sufficently so that one male end disengages from the female end. Once this is done, simply slip the spring off the end and then reinsert the male end. I suppose it is possible to break the plastic, but it bent very eaasily for me and I did not feel like I was even close to the breaking point.

One note. While this did greatly improve the performamce of thecupholder, it remains an extremely poor design. The center of gravity of the can/cup reamins very high as compareed to the support of the cupholder and I still would not trust the cupholder for a very tall container.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Nice DIY.
Thanks for the info.

Note: There is a DIY section. This type of post would be great for that forum.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Members

I need to try this out?

You got any suggestions for the cupholder (closest to driver) not opening when pressing the black button? I always have to tap on the front of the cupholder before it slides out,