DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Comfort seat installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

Well,

After a long anticipated wait my new comfort seats are finally here. I spent a few hours last night getting to know the inner workings of them in preparation for installation. I am planning on taking very detailed pictures. I really doubt most people will attempt this but the process might be fun for some of you to see. I will keep you posted as I progress. Stay tuned....
Old 10-13-2005, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I read that it was really hard to do. Because they have a different frame and cable work. But good luck man!

btw, just curious what did you pay for them?. (do you have normal or sport seats now?)
Old 10-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

You're sure they're not going to require reprogramming (which only the dealer can do)?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I think there might be some recoding involved. The seats have gas cartridges that are part of the active head restraint system. Most of the coding is avoided do to the seat modules. But I think I may need to recode to sync the comfort seat seat module with the K-CAN. Not sure yet but I will know soon enough.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

You didn't check this out before you bought the seats? What if the dealer says they won't do it for liability reasons?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Contributors

The dealer that I found to order the fillister screws has said that they will code the car if needed. They spoke to the Parts Group and were told that there should not be any recoding if the car had heated sport seats to start with. I think the important part was just the fact that it had heated seats. Anyway....I am back in town now and I have the neccessary wrenches. I am just waiting on a few more parts and I can start this project.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Contributors

FYI....For a retrofit code you just need the Ativa pass thru tool and the code. It is MUCH less involved than a total CIP upgrade.
About a five minute deal.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tool and the code are unreachable at the moment for end users like us.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributors

I am curious another way. I have the comfort seats and seek assembly details that may offer a way for me to lower the driver seat an inch or more. I need the headroom due to my body shape. In my older cars, with manual seat rails, I removed the seats, torch cut the mounts and rewelded with 1.5 inches less metal. It was a headache to screw back, but it was lowwww. I wish to see mounting details that offer metal to shave off.
I would wonder that the many adjustments in the comfort seats would require special encoding to the key so it will remember the settings. If the wireing harness is the same for all seats, then it should be trivial to r & r them. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Comfort seat installation