DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='736968' date='Dec 3 2008, 06:17 PM
I haven't yet, but I ought to. Maybe on christmas holidays.
I had a conversation lately with a member TjVirta (Finnish guy too) and he was told by some Finnish BMW dealer, that cars made after the 8th of April 2004 have the reinforced flap axels (4mm --> 4,5mm). I remember member Tramposo had also found this out. So my car should have this reinforced mechanism, but I wouldn't trust this reinforced axel much more.

Like I said, I haven't removed them yet, but I quote myself from another thread:

Well, I didn't , but I will surely inform you guys when/if I have removed them.
i thought it was oct 04 on for reinforced flaps, so if it is april 04 maybe im ok, these flaps are giving me a headache to remove or not to remove.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Members

Ive removed the vacuum pipe and blanked the pipe off that controls the swirl flaps so they are inoperative, to see if the engine seems affected in any way before i go to the trouble of removing the flaps all together.

car starts as normal
No warning messages
been for a short test run and cant tell any difference really.
if i were splitting hairs id say the engines seems a little smoother below 3k .

Will try for a few days i think just to be sure but based on this i think the flaps will be removed.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='738580' date='Dec 5 2008, 05:13 PM
Ive removed the vacuum pipe and blanked the pipe off that controls the swirl flaps so they are inoperative, to see if the engine seems affected in any way before i go to the trouble of removing the flaps all together.

car starts as normal
No warning messages
been for a short test run and cant tell any difference really.
if i were splitting hairs id say the engines seems a little smoother below 3k .

Will try for a few days i think just to be sure but based on this i think the flaps will be removed.
Good for you. Please inform us about your test run when done.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

With them in that state I guess they are full open ? , thanks for the test mate
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='738665' date='Dec 5 2008, 06:40 PM
With them in that state I guess they are full open ? , thanks for the test mate
Yes, they are full open when the pressure tube (part 10) is plugged.

I will leave the mechanism itself working. I'm going to just remove the flaps instead of removing everything and leave the tube plugged.
I think that electric valve (part 11) that controls the mechanism could cause messages in time if the tube is plugged.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Members

before i plukked up the nerve to disconnect the vac pipe, i clamped and unclamped the vac hose with the engine running, so opening and closing the flaps on tickover and the engine didnt respond in any way. Ive now done around 40 miles with everything driving as normal and no problems.
I agree with you Anzafin that the plug to the valve needs to stay connected to avoid errors.
The mystery deepens for me as to the purpose of the swirl flaps, i understand that they are to swirl the intake mixture at low revs, but surely youd notice a difference with them not working ? They do seem to be either open or closed as opposed to some other manufacturers that operate them via stepper/servo motors for finer adjustment, so im guessing they are quite basic swirl flap technology ?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Members

Would you prefer i start a new thread on my findings Anzafin or would it be better keeping all this info together do you think ?

Have done over 200 miles this weekend with swirl flaps disconnected in most driving conditions. It is slight and very 'is it or isnt it' but the engine does seem smoother/quiter somehow at low revs which makes me wonder if the torque is reduced but any application of the throttle results in the usual shove in the back acceleration.
Mpg doesnt seem to be affected. The mornings are below freezing here and the cold starting is instant as usual.
Im wondering if the flaps could possibly fail now anyway with them not working and just leaving them as is?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='740409' date='Dec 8 2008, 11:01 AM
Would you prefer i start a new thread on my findings Anzafin or would it be better keeping all this info together do you think ?

Have done over 200 miles this weekend with swirl flaps disconnected in most driving conditions. It is slight and very 'is it or isnt it' but the engine does seem smoother/quiter somehow at low revs which makes me wonder if the torque is reduced but any application of the throttle results in the usual shove in the back acceleration.
Mpg doesnt seem to be affected. The mornings are below freezing here and the cold starting is instant as usual.
Im wondering if the flaps could possibly fail now anyway with them not working and just leaving them as is?
You don't have to ask me to make a new thread bro !
I think you could make a new thread. Just name it descriptive and maybe a link to this thread and opposite. There are some other threads already about this issue too.

I don't know could the flaps broke now if you leave them as they are right now. Good question . However, they are still there to collect soot and stuff...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

There is nothing to stop us simply using a blanking plate on the exhaust gas intake pipe tho ?? thats my plan , so I can keep all those other additional sensors happy but still disable the gunge collector

Bad idea you think ?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='740743' date='Dec 9 2008, 12:29 AM
There is nothing to stop us simply using a blanking plate on the exhaust gas intake pipe tho ?? thats my plan , so I can keep all those other additional sensors happy but still disable the gunge collector

Bad idea you think ?
If you mean shutting the EGR off, I'm quite sure you will get an error message without reprogramming...

Quick Reply: Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine