DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525ise, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, 18'' Runflats, Folding mirrors, Automatic/man box,parking sensers front/rear,latest addition 645ci black saphire, with everthing on, nothing it does not have.

i had a power lead in that i must have pushed in to far, i have ended up nearly pulling the whole unit out and i can not get it back are there any instructions or easy access points for this.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Assuming that you are talking about the front lighter socket:

Remove the trim from the centre console -
Pull off the iDrive knob (lift straight up)
Squeeze the gear lever gaiter at the base to release clips (or use a wide bladed lever/screwdriver/pallette knife)
Undo the Torx screws you have just uncovered.
Using the aforementioned lever, lever under the trim, working from the back to the front of the car. The trim panel just clips in, but it may be tight! The trim will come away complete with ashtray cover. Remove the iDrive switch wires. You can feed the gear lever and gaiter through the trim panel. Put the panel somewhere safe where you're not going to sit or stand on it. You can remove the gear knob with a sharp upwards pull. Mine was so tight I gave up and threaded the gaiter through the hole! If you do try to remove the knob, I am told it comes off quickly, so you have to beware of a bruised forehead!!
There are Torx screws holding the ashtray/lighter assembly. The front ones are very awkward to get to without taking the CD/DVD mask and DTC switches out, but it is possible. I used a small torx bit from a screwdriver bit kit, along with a spanner to turn it. Tedious, but less time consuming if you haven't taken the other trim panels off.
The lighter is on a hinge - perhaps you have pulled that out of its slot???

As an estimate, the first time you remove the trim panel, it may take you half an hour or so. The next time you do it, it will take you less than five minutes!!

Have a good Bank Holiday!!

Mike