DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drivers Airbag light is on and when i removed airbag a wire fell off, i think it was the one that is a ground for the airbag but im not sure where i attach it i know that it maybe goes on steering wheel but not on airbag? Also had the codes read and it was resistance too low on airbag which someone said that normally was the clockspring at fault. I will take some pics soon.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hmmm...

I believe the ground cable wasn't attached anywhere, and now the too low resistance is because of that. So there isn't a place on a backplate for the ground cable like I do? Try grounding the airbag to the backplate for example with a tape at first and see if it helps anything.

- Antti -
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 AM
Members

So basically that single wire clips onto the steering wheel then to anywhere on the back of the airbag?....apart from the horn rail.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I decided to make a DIY about installing an MSport steering wheel to your E60. There's another DIY about this already, but it's a bit more complicated project, since it guides to mount the newer (09/2005-->) type MSport steering wheel into the "older" (-->09/2005) car. A great thread, but I recommend you buy a proper model for your car. Here's that thread anyways.

My thread concerns about the "older" (-->09/2005) model, but I'm quite sure the project goes quite the same way in a newer car. The "cross-matching" will require much more work.

You will need these at least:
- MSport steering wheel with airbag (you can't use the one in original SW)
- 10mm open-end wrench (to disconnect and connect the minus cable in battery)
- 15mm box key with some extension and a lever (to dismount and mount the steering wheel itself)
- mid-size screw driver (to dismount the airbag)
- different sizes of torx keys
- tiny screwdrivers (to hassle with the cable plugs)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work phases:
1) Disconnecting the minus cable from the battery.
2) Dismounting the airbag from the original SW.
3) Dismounting the original SW.
4) Disassembling the original SW and collecting the parts you need for the new one.
----- A break maybe ----
5) Disassembling the MSport SW to put parts in.
6) Mounting the parts into the MSport SW.
7) Mounting the MSport SW.
8) Mounting the airbag into MSport SW.
9) Connecting the minus cable into the battery.
10) Ignition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then more detailed instructions following the phases above:

1) Disconnecting the minus cable from the battery.
- Use a 10mm open-end key to open the nut in the clamp and pull the clamp out.
- Cover the clamp with a sock or something to prevent the connection with the battery.

2) Dismounting the airbag from the original SW.
- Find a small hole on the bottom side of SW.
- Use a mid-size screwdriver to push the metal wire inside of SW to release the mounting of an airbag.
- This was the hardest part for me! I often managed to release only the other side of airbag. Had to push it back many times and try again.
- Note!! I suggest you do this from outside the car. I kneeled to the driver's door and operated it from there.

- Carefully pull the airbag from it's place. Disconnect the airbag wiring harness plug from the module on the bottom of SW. Don't mind the other texts in the pic at this point!
- Place the airbag outside of the car just for sure. Emblem up!

3) Dismounting the original SW.
- Open the bolt in the middle using a 15mm box key. You will need some extension to do this. The pic above.
- Note!!!! Don't wring against the SW lock! It might break. Ask someone to hold the SW instead.
- When you get your fingers to the wiring harness plug, gently pull it out. You may find a little scredriver handy here!

4) Disassembling the original SW and collecting the parts you need for the new one.
- You will need the module, wiring harness and a little white plastic part for the MSport SW.
- Deattach the metallic base plate to get the wiring harness out. Use a torx key to open the bolts (red). The buttons will be disconnected too with the base plate.
- Open the bolts (green) to deattach the plastic part.

- Note!!! When you dismount the base plate and buttons, the wiring harness is still connected to buttons!

- Carefully pull the plugs out. I had to disassemble the button parts even more to get these little plugs out without braking them. There are six torx bolts on the backside to do this. You will see them after dismounting the base plate.

- Take the module and wiring harness out.

Now, maybe that coffee brake .
i have 2005 nonsport wheel with heat option , i would like to switch it to 2008 550i thicker heated sport steering wheel with paddle shifters(i have wheel already) , this newer wheel i guess has module built inside and it is not removable(sealed) , so i am wondering if i have to buy lci sport airbag and try program everything or get prelci airbag and switch the metal plate inside the steering wheel from my existing one.
i appreciate your help Eric
also my wheel is bit different in the back...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pavrom
i have 2005 nonsport wheel with heat option , i would like to switch it to 2008 550i thicker heated sport steering wheel with paddle shifters(i have wheel already) , this newer wheel i guess has module built inside and it is not removable(sealed) , so i am wondering if i have to buy lci sport airbag and try program everything or get prelci airbag and switch the metal plate inside the steering wheel from my existing one.
i appreciate your help Eric
also my wheel is bit different in the back...
If your car is manufactured before the 09/2005, then you have to mod the steering wheel to fit the steering column. Here you can see the differences between the wheels and how to mod it.
Here's a pic as well:

I would buy a correct airbag for the wheel (LCI), because I think they are easier to find and it would be a straight fit to a steering wheel. I can't tell about the coding stuff.

- Antti -
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mother
So basically that single wire clips onto the steering wheel then to anywhere on the back of the airbag?....apart from the horn rail.
Hmmm... I'm not sure. Look for an obvious looking spot for it. Hence it's the ground wire, I'd guess it should be attached to the airbag's metal body.

- Antti -
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Members

heres some pics of the mess....i earthed it today....its the black wire.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Members

Airbag light still on?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Contributors

I think airbag error light won't disappear by itself even though the problem was eliminated. The airbag error must be cleared with a scan/diangostics tool/program.

- Antti -
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Members

I used the INPA software and it was still there?.....maybe the clockspring is broken? as the same 2 errors come up after a reset.....resistance too low?

Quick Reply: Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!