DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d

Thanks for the DIY Anzafin!!

I installed my MSport wheel tonight. Had no problem getting the airbag off - I used a 5mm Allen key, the BMW instructions I got suggested a Torx T25 or T27, but mine were too short! This worked much better than a screwdriver. My major problem was in getting the plug that connects the wheel to the steering column off. This plug can be released by pushing a small screwdriver down the left side to release the catch. I think this is the same for both left hand and right hand drive vehicles. Because I had problems with this I inadvertantly changed the alignment of the bezel on which the socket for that above mentioned plug sits. This caused Active steering errors which I managed to correct, eventually, when I realised what I'd done.....

Very happy now. My car came with a Sports Wheel, which is similar to the MSport one except thinner rim and no thumbgrips. Even with a lesser change than what you had the car feels so much better, with the significantly thicker rim and softer leather.

Thanks again for the DIY - I wouldn't have attempted doing this but your DIY gave me enough information to do this myself. Having the new wheel is great but it's so much better having done it yourself!! Cheers!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Leong' post='1060628' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the DIY Anzafin!!

I installed my MSport wheel tonight. Had no problem getting the airbag off - I used a 5mm Allen key, the BMW instructions I got suggested a Torx T25 or T27, but mine were too short! This worked much better than a screwdriver. My major problem was in getting the plug that connects the wheel to the steering column off. This plug can be released by pushing a small screwdriver down the left side to release the catch. I think this is the same for both left hand and right hand drive vehicles. Because I had problems with this I inadvertantly changed the alignment of the bezel on which the socket for that above mentioned plug sits. This caused Active steering errors which I managed to correct, eventually, when I realised what I'd done.....

Very happy now. My car came with a Sports Wheel, which is similar to the MSport one except thinner rim and no thumbgrips. Even with a lesser change than what you had the car feels so much better, with the significantly thicker rim and softer leather.

Thanks again for the DIY - I wouldn't have attempted doing this but your DIY gave me enough information to do this myself. Having the new wheel is great but it's so much better having done it yourself!! Cheers!!
You're welcome and congratulations on your new steering wheel !
Thanks for sharing the tips too !

- Antti -
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Very detailed DIY write up!!
Thanks for sharing
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Members

My Ride: Plucked bmw.....

It's an old post, but again, thanks to Anzafin, for the nice DIY.
I have also changed my standard SW, to M5 sport SW.

And on my happiness, I found out that after technical FL ( from 9/2005->)
the SW doesn?t have the black switch box, so-called "brains".
So, it?s a simple plug & play.
Attached Thumbnails Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!-sw_fl.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 545i 04 Mods: Matte White / Black car color Matte Kidney Grills Angel Eyes White Fog Lights White lights license plate M5 Body kit RPI GT Exhaust

Great DIY !!!

keep it up
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT

The only thing i'd contribute to this great DIY is that the airbag comes out a lot easier if you push it in, as if honking the horn, while pushing in the spring. This allows all the hooks to release much easier. Also, on a newer steering column, it was much easier, as the airbag just plugs into the right side of the column.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Members

Holy thread revival batman....... Got a 2004 525d SE E60, and looks like someone has bodged a M-sport or M5 steering wheel onto it and done a rather poor job with the cables which has got the drivers airbag light on all the time, i had the codes read which said resistance too low which points to the clock spring. so then i bought a clockspring off the bay only to find out it doesn't fit....centre hole was too small and right hand connector was different shape?

On the right handside connector on my clockspring the pins are missing where the airbag would usually plug into, and at the bottom of the wheel there is a little circuit board where it now fits into?

Also when i took the airbag off the red ground wire you mention fell off (the one from airbag to steering wheel....where do i ground it?....tried to ground it but the horn went off continuously when i connected the battery and switched on the ignition?

Excellent thread btw, been searching for days for a thread like this.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Contributors

I believe your airbag is post-09/2005 production, while it should be pre-09/2005. There is a simple solution for it in another thread (link on the first post of this thread).

- Antti -
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply Anzafin.....i'm still confused, the red grounding wire from your airbag is it just to back plate of the airbag then to steering wheel?
I think everything else is fine ie horn and steering wheel buttons all work....next is to test the continuity of the clockspring....if thats ok i'm lost.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Sorry I'm not fully following you here. Can you take pics and point out which things don't work?

- Antti -

Quick Reply: Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!