DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by taiyed' post='808059' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:51 AM
Looks great, very tempting. I might have to go scavenging around some Chicago area junkyards for a spare cluster.
+1
Get one from the scrap yards or ebay before you go ahead to do yours
Ricky has done mine yesterday and its well worth it
Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by taiyed' post='808059' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:51 PM
Looks great, very tempting. I might have to go scavenging around some Chicago area junkyards for a spare cluster.
yes best test it on a sraped 1 1st and see if it works, then start doing it to the real 1
good luck, if you need any help please ask us, we will try and help you.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Members

Good DIY and a good job
I can?t it not better, but you must make the rings in silver and the yellow sticker 1cm, the rest red and he`s perfect
Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jakober' post='808177' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:24 AM
Good DIY and a good job
I can?t it not better, but you must make the rings in silver and the yellow sticker 1cm, the rest red and he`s perfect
I am adding the yellow sticker tonight will post pics when done
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Hand down!!!! Your a brave dude! Everything i touch, i break... So, i'll just pay to get it done. Looks Great!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60' post='810837' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:27 AM
Hand down!!!! Your a brave dude! Everything i touch, i break... So, i'll just pay to get it done. Looks Great!!!!
I only did the white colour change on the ring and the red needle.
ricky1329 did the led change for me, he the pro with the ele.
It is very easy to take it apart 1s you seen some 1 do it.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aristent' post='802199' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:18 PM
Congratulations!!! Don?t forget to thank Jakober.

GREAT DIY, LOOKS LIKE A JOB TO DO THOUGH
Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='802205' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:21 AM
All I can say is WOW! Great Mod, and a GREAT DIY! Nice work Pingu!!
Wow. Wow. WOW.

Exceptional work by pinguhk and ricky1239.

You have no idea how this has COMPLETELY transformed my plans regarding a planned purchase of a 650i -- a car I really love except for one single, ugly, annoying feature: I despise the amber instrument cluster - DESPISE. I don't care how "BMW tradition" it is, as far as I'm concerned it's garbage. It is completely non-relaxing to my eyes, lacks any aesthetic beauty in my opinion, and ruins an otherwise beautiful machine, not to mention the fact that it actually STRAINS my eyes. When I'm cruising at night, I like to chill -- white/blue/green inspires that sentiment; amber only reminds me of my alarm clock in my bedroom ... of analog technology from the 80s ... of instrument lighting from archaic government machines.

I had seriously debated buying another car ... if not the S5, then maybe a used M6 just to avoid the amber in the 650i, but since the M6 is not a practical vehicle (plus it doesn't have a pano, which is something I gotta have), and since the S5 is no 6 series, it was not a happy decision for me. BUT ... after seeing this ... all of that matters no more! 650i here I come baby! Come to papa. YEHAAAAAAAAAW.

Man, I can't thank both of you enough for helping solve a problem I've seriously been struggling with for a long time now (and one everyone I spoke to, including BMW dealerships, told me would be a massive undertaking that would require me to tear apart my dashboard, blah blah blah ...). Many of them were amazed that such a minor detail would impact such a huge decision for me, but hey, I'm all about the details, and this is no minor detail to my eyes.

Now I can actually move forward with finding the right 650i, then IMMEDIATELY complete this mod.

Thanks again. Brilliant.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by espperre' post='816410' date='Mar 14 2009, 05:09 PM
Wow. Wow. WOW.

Exceptional work by pinguhk and ricky1239.

You have no idea how this has COMPLETELY transformed my plans regarding a planned purchase of a 650i -- a car I really love except for one single, ugly, annoying feature: I despise the amber instrument cluster - DESPISE. I don't care how "BMW tradition" it is, as far as I'm concerned it's garbage. It is completely non-relaxing to my eyes, lacks any aesthetic beauty in my opinion, and ruins an otherwise beautiful machine, not to mention the fact that it actually STRAINS my eyes. When I'm cruising at night, I like to chill -- white/blue/green inspires that sentiment; amber only reminds me of my alarm clock in my bedroom ... of analog technology from the 80s ... of instrument lighting from archaic government machines.

I had seriously debated buying another car ... if not the S5, then maybe a used M6 just to avoid the amber in the 650i, but since the M6 is not a practical vehicle (plus it doesn't have a pano, which is something I gotta have), and since the S5 is no 6 series, it was not a happy decision for me. BUT ... after seeing this ... all of that matters no more! 650i here I come baby! Come to papa. YEHAAAAAAAAAW.

Man, I can't thank both of you enough for helping solve a problem I've seriously been struggling with for a long time now (and one everyone I spoke to, including BMW dealerships, told me would be a massive undertaking that would require me to tear apart my dashboard, blah blah blah ...). Many of them were amazed that such a minor detail would impact such a huge decision for me, but hey, I'm all about the details, and this is no minor detail to my eyes.

Now I can actually move forward with finding the right 650i, then IMMEDIATELY complete this mod.

Thanks again. Brilliant.
You are welcome and nice have one more BMW omwer in the world
Old 03-14-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i 6M

You are one brave man

Quick Reply: Changing the orange LED to white LED on the cluster to look like M5 or