DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing fog light bulbs on the M-tech front

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

I've checked out the post written by ch7656 on changing fog light bulbs on a regular e60 bumper. I went and checked my M-tech bumper and the wheel liner looks different from the regular e60. I wonder if the procedure is the same for both models. I also saw a torx screw on the fog light frame in the front and tried to turn it to both directions but nothing happen. What is that screw for?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Hello Bambi,
This concerns me as well. I will have my M-Tech installed next week by a body shop and I wanted to install the hoen fog bulbs right after it. A few questions that I have: Does the m-tech kit uses the same fog light bulbs as the OEM (I believe it is # 9006). Also, does the M-tech kit come with its own or do the body shop needs to take the bulbs front the stock bumper and install those into the M-tech bumper?
Thank you
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

If you haven't installed your M-Tech Aero kit yet why not get the Hoen fog bulbs right away so that the body shop can do it all at once? That's what I did with mine. I switched out the stock bulbs for PIAAs and had the shop install everything. The M-Tech Aero kit comes with it's own fog lights.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Thank you Vegas but the kit will be installed on Monday and I placed the order yesterday at hoen for a set of fog light bulbs so I'm afraid that they won't arrive on time. I ordered bulb type 9006 which I read here on another thread that is the type needed to replace the stocks, hopefully M-Techs are the same.
BTW, I can't stop looking at your avatar short video clip

Bambi, please let me know how you managed to install yours on the M-tech front bumper.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Contributors

I tried to install the bulbs last night but was unsuccessful. I opened up the wheel liner on the driver side but encounter the windshield washer tank right behind it. I then stopped right away since I don't want to move the tank or do anymore damage. I've also tried to remove the fog light housing from the front but again it doesn't again. I'm thinking if I'll have to remove the front bumper to do it but just don't want to start until I've heard more opinions from you guys.

So please, someone who has done that please let me know how to do it.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 BMW 545i, '03 Mercedes-Benz S-55 AMG, '06 Lexus IS-250 AWD

I have an m-tech kit on my car too, I had some trouble with the fog lights too. I know there are instructions on here for removing and changing the fog lights and it worked for me. The thing that you have to take into account is that when you take out the screws and bring down the cover, the mtech kit gets into the way and drop like those without one. What I did was bend the cover just enough to pass the mtech kit. For those that are scared to do so dont take my word on it then but that is what I did to make it work. Let me know if you have any questions!

Oh, and what bulb were you planning on using?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm
Xenonmatch type 9006

Does this mean I should better wait to receive the bulbs before having the kit installed? I'm scheduled at the body shop for Monday morning and I don't want to wait.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='394848' date='Feb 23 2007, 05:04 PM
Does this mean I should better wait to receive the bulbs before having the kit installed? I'm scheduled at the body shop for Monday morning and I don't want to wait.
That's the best way to go.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by khangluong' post='394839' date='Feb 23 2007, 04:57 PM
I have an m-tech kit on my car too, I had some trouble with the fog lights too. I know there are instructions on here for removing and changing the fog lights and it worked for me. The thing that you have to take into account is that when you take out the screws and bring down the cover, the mtech kit gets into the way and drop like those without one. What I did was bend the cover just enough to pass the mtech kit. For those that are scared to do so dont take my word on it then but that is what I did to make it work. Let me know if you have any questions!

Oh, and what bulb were you planning on using?
Maybe we can meet up and you can tell me how you do it.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='394848
That's the best way to go.
Dang, I really wanted to get that done ASAP, I've been anxiously waiting

Quick Reply: Changing fog light bulbs on the M-tech front