DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changed my bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Ok, I ordered several bulbs from autolumination.com.

One is a 5-LED 4.6 lumen bright white LED with a Ba9 mini-bayonet base, the same lamp type used in the angel eye assembly. I tried for quite a while yesterday to figure out how to easily get at the angel eye bulb assembly through the access hole in each headlamp, including slightly removing each headlamp. I haven't been able to figure out an easy way to get them out.

So, I went to my dealer and ordered one of the angel eye bulb replacement assemblies, discussed earlier in this thread, just to see if the bulb will work, and if it appears bright enough inside of the reflector compared to the standard bulb. I can also try some "bright white" conventional incandescent Ba9 base bulbs I ordered. The lamp assembly will be in next week, so I'll try it then.

I did convert all of the brake/tail and turn signal lamps on the rear to LED using the 20 LED high-flux lamps from autolumination, as well as converted the side fender blinkers to LED using a mini-wedge LED, and the rear license plate lamps to LED using bright white LED festoon assemblies. They all look great, especially the rear light assemblies with everything being LED. For pictures, see here.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

DAS, could you specify which model number of bulbs you are using for the rear lightings? There are just TOO MANY bulbs on the autolumination site and I couldn't tell which one is which.
By the way, do you have a picture of the new licence plate lamp? Is it as bright and white as the new Lexus GS?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='223191' date='Jan 12 2006, 05:20 AM
DAS, could you specify which model number of bulbs you are using for the rear lightings? There are just TOO MANY bulbs on the autolumination site and I couldn't tell which one is which.
By the way, do you have a picture of the new licence plate lamp? Is it as bright and white as the new Lexus GS?
I put some pictures of the new license plate lamps here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=223058

Also, I have links to the pages with the lamps, and tell which ones I am using.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='219723' date='Jan 5 2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Mick, the bulbs look cool.

A bit off topic but can you post some pics of your black dakota/maple interior as I don't think I've ever seen that combo?

Cheers
No chance of taking a pic yet will do on Saturday....until then

Black on black
Old 01-16-2006, 02:08 PM
das
Site Founders

Ok, here's an update on the LED angel eye retrofit. Unfortunately, I have bad news: the new LED is just too dim to light the angel eye lightguides sufficiently. For those that haven't been following, the halogen headlamp assembly on E60 uses two W5W wedge-base lamps per side (for a total of four) to light each angel eye ring. The bulbs are in very close proximity to the end of the angel eye lightguide. However, the xenon headlamp assembly uses a single 10 watt Ba9 base halogen bulb per side inside of a special reflector assembly, aimed about 1" away from the end of the lightguide, at the reflector's focal point, lighting both rings.

I ordered:

- a 4.6 lumen "Matrix" bright white 5-LED Ba9 base lamp
- a 5W blue conventional incandescent "xenon color" Ba9 base lamp

I encountered several issues. First, the lamp does NOT come out of the assembly, because the bayonet nipples do not fit through the hole in the reflector. This was expected, and is the same way it was on E39. You have to cut two "melted" pieces of plastic on each side to get the lamp out:

Changed my bulbs-picture_1.png

The angel eye bulb assembly is also relatively difficult to get out. I had to remove the headlight assembly a bit to get in through the access hole, and then remove the H7 "high beam"/flash-to-pass lamp to get at the assembly. It's too small to really get your hand in there, unless you have small hands, and I'd do a full writeup if this were actually a DIY, but suffice it to say that it's hard to get out.

The second issue was that the bulb socket was reverse from the polarity that the LED lamp needed, so if it were to be permanent, you'd have to switch the wires (which would require cutting them -y ou probably could also get a new connector end).

Luckily, I ordered a replacement angel eye lamp assembly from my dealer so I could take it apart.

Unfortunately, both lamps are far too dim to effectively light the lightguides. Pictures below:

Stock 10W halogen lamp:

Changed my bulbs-dsc01946.jpg

Changed my bulbs-dsc01944.jpg

White LED lamp:

Changed my bulbs-dsc01951.jpg

Changed my bulbs-dsc01942.jpg

Blue incandescent lamp:

Changed my bulbs-dsc01947.jpg

Changed my bulbs-dsc01945.jpg

The problem, with the LED anyway, is that it is too far away from the lightguide...almost 1.5" - because it's designed to be at the focal point of the reflector with the halogen lamp. If you could get a high-brightness LED right at the end of the lightguide, it might work.

Ultimately, something like this will probably be a much better solution:

Changed my bulbs-white_led701.jpg Changed my bulbs-white_led703.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere online yet, including PIAA Japan's site. Hopefully, there will be some easy way for us to get this in the US too. They might not be as bright as Soaristo's custom job, but they'll be better than what we have now stock. And they both share the necessary key point, which is getting the output of the LED very close to the lightguide.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:34 AM
das
Site Founders

Ok, with the help of SOARISTO, I have found out that the PIAA 6500K LED angel eye retrofit is now on the market in Japan:

PIAA_LED_Ring_Marker.pdf

Changed my bulbs-tj4960311238768_l.jpg.jpg

I'm going to try to find if either PIAA and/or Autobacs can (easily) sell this part into the US. The cost is about US$170. More info as I find it.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Members

http://www.autobacs.com/cgi-bin/inetcgi/sc...=1&t=0&o=0&lf=0

lol i'm korean but im going to ask my japanese friend to translate some of this
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Originally Posted by das' post='227863' date='Jan 22 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm going to try to find if either PIAA and/or Autobacs can (easily) sell this part into the US. The cost is about US$170. More info as I find it.
any updates on this?! i cant wait!!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Same as PIAA I think its for bi-Xenon not sure, any comments?

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=...oten/bre-gd120/
Old 01-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217715' date='Dec 31 2005, 07:43 PM
Gone has the Amber...

?48 well spent...happy man

Attachment 13769

Attachment 13770

See signature for a before pic...
Ordered mine on Mon past will post pics when installed

Quick Reply: Changed my bulbs