DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changed my bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Man that looks great!

Pleeez, tell us how it was done!!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Looks Blue Cool.

Did u buy them over the Internet or in a car accessory shop?

A colleague at work purchased some bulbs for his Ford Focus in November from a web shop in the UK.
He says they were Xenon (I haven't seen them) and he says they are definitely brighter than the replaced ones. Didn't really think he could replace standard halogen with Xenon without having some effect on either heat or power consumption. Maybe they were similiar to yours.

How many bulbs did u get for ypur E60? Two or four?
I had a look under the bonnet of my own in November and thought it might be a little tricky getting access to replace those bulbs. Was it easy enough?

Cheers
Old 01-01-2006, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' post='217904' date='Jan 1 2006, 11:39 AM
Looks Blue Cool.

Did u buy them over the Internet or in a car accessory shop?

A colleague at work purchased some bulbs for his Ford Focus in November from a web shop in the UK.
He says they were Xenon (I haven't seen them) and he says they are definitely brighter than the replaced ones. Didn't really think he could replace standard halogen with Xenon without having some effect on either heat or power consumption. Maybe they were similiar to yours.

How many bulbs did u get for ypur E60? Two or four?
I had a look under the bonnet of my own in November and thought it might be a little tricky getting access to replace those bulbs. Was it easy enough?

Cheers
They are philips Blue Vision. I replaced the H7 main headlights and the side lights W5W lamps which illuminate the Angel Eyes.

My headlamp units are bog standard non Xenon, changing the lamps was as easy as removing the circular covers (2 on each haedlamp unit) and then simply removing the old bulbs, a total of 8 (4xH7 and 4xW5W)

They are Xenon filled bulb units with an ellement like a haolgen, (non arc like true Xenons, so no need for balasts and starters) Car sees them as straight forward swaps.

This is the old H7, New has the same element, but filled with Xenon:-

Changed my bulbs-blue_lamps_018.jpg

Basically followed the instructions in the drivers manual, a 10 minute job, one slight hic up, I dropped one of the twist off covers into the well underneath the headlamp, cant get it out, so have had to buy a new one...arse!!

I ordered these from www.powerbulbs.co.uk who repackage the Philips and Osram brands as there own, ?48 the set of eight, they are doing 2 sets of H7's for price of one at the moment so thats why I took a punt. I'm happy with the results, seem too a have a sceptic fom the US who thinks its down to my camera, but I know its not so thats cool.

Changed my bulbs-blue_lamps_017.jpg

I havnt had the opportunity to drive in the dark yet...(New Year parties and all that) so cant comment on how well the road lights up (30% improvement claimed) but the angel eyes alone are worth it.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Thats really cool!!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Thanks for the info!

I have real Xenon so I will just replace the small lamps to "blue" ones and maybe a little stronger ones.

TNX./ Robert
Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='217919' date='Jan 1 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info!

I have real Xenon so I will just replace the small lamps to "blue" ones and maybe a little stronger ones.

TNX./ Robert
I'm going to have a go too! Although I've got adaptive Xenons and I've heard it's harder!!! We'll see...
Old 01-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

looks great, but the tricky part is the instal. Your car is non-xenon headlight so the install was easy. As somebody mentioned the xenon headlight are much more pain in the a$$ to get in to and exchange the bulbs. Anyone?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217916' date='Jan 1 2006, 12:43 PM
They are philips Blue Vision. I replaced the H7 main headlights and the side lights W5W lamps which illuminate the Angel Eyes.

My headlamp units are bog standard non Xenon, changing the lamps was as easy as removing the circular covers (2 on each haedlamp unit) and then simply removing the old bulbs, a total of 8 (4xH7 and 4xW5W)

They are Xenon filled bulb units with an ellement like a haolgen, (non arc like true Xenons, so no need for balasts and starters) Car sees them as straight forward swaps.

Attachment 13784

Basically followed the instructions in the drivers manual, a 10 minute job, one slight hic up, I dropped one of the twist off covers into the well underneath the headlamp, cant get it out, so have had to buy a new one...arse!!

I ordered these from www.powerbulbs.co.uk who repackage the Philips and Osram brands as there own, ?48 the set of eight, they are doing 2 sets of H7's for price of one at the moment so thats why I took a punt. I'm happy with the results, seem too a have a sceptic fom the US who thinks its down to my camera, but I know its not so thats cool.

Attachment 13783

I havnt had the opportunity to drive in the dark yet...(New Year parties and all that) so cant comment on how well the road lights up (30% improvement claimed) but the angel eyes alone are worth it.
Brilliant. Thanks for that.

However, stupidity still reigns.
I would have expected three bulbs each side?

1 x Full Beam H7 55W
1 x Dipped (Low) Beam H7 55W as well?
1 x Side Light W5W

It looks like the low beam has the same wattage as the high beam. I take it they are the same Bulb?

So your figure of 8 comes from the 6 above plus the 2 free H7's?

Old 01-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217916' date='Jan 1 2006, 12:43 PM

Mixterk

I have the standard headlights so I treated my baby to a couple of the Halfords Super Brilliance bulbs which claim up to 50% more light. They had them on a "buy one, get one free" offer so cost me ?17.99 for the pair. They also use Xenon gas instead of the standard halogen and you can definitely see they have a whiter colour than the standard ones. Only thing now is that the Angel Eyes, do look even more kinda yellow next to the new H7's. Think I'll go for some of the whiter looking side light bulbs as well now.

Did you have to unscrew anything to change the side light bulbs, or did you manage to get your fingers into the recess with everything still in place? (I changed the low beam H7's without undoing anything except the covers).

Also, are the side light bulbs Xenon gas as well, or are they whiter just because of the blue colour?

Any tips gladly received.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' post='217986

Attachment 13784

Attachment 13783

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

However, stupidity still reigns.
I would have expected three bulbs each side?

1 x Full Beam H7 55W
1 x Dipped (Low) Beam H7 55W as well?
1 x Side Light W5W

It looks like the low beam has the same wattage as the high beam. I take it they are the same Bulb?

So your figure of 8 comes from the 6 above plus the 2 free H7's?

[/quote]

2 x H7 per side and 2 x W5W per side for the angel eyes..

Quick Reply: Changed my bulbs