DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Change Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyhigh_l' post='750181' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:51 PM
Just wondering if I can just pour in the brake fluid dot 3 or 4 when my break fluid is low instead of changing the whole thing?
Is there a brand that you can recomend or I have to buy it from BMW?
If it's low you can just add in some more to get between the min and max levels. I'd stick with what is already in there; in other words, if it's the standard OEM fill I'd go with that.

If you're replacing it, go with either ATE SuperBlue (or gold), or the BMW OEM stuff. Either will be fine.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i. Built 5/2005. Bought by me 7/2008. Olivin Green, beige interior; 6MT; sport package; cold weather package; premium sound package; xenon lights; PDC; rear shades.
Model Year: 2006

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=bleed+brakes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

If you have the proper tools (a pressure bleeder helps) and access to a lift you should be able to perform a brake fluid flush. I do, however, think the modern ABS systems require some massaging of the electronics to ensure the system is completely flushed and replenished with the proper clean brake fluid whilst preventing any air to enter the system.

That said, and I'm a big DIY believer, I've seen area BMW dealers offering brake fluid flush/replacement "specials" for less than $100. When I factor in my time and using proper tools and such, it may be a better "deal" to leave some tasks to the pro's!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='752888' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:00 AM
If you have the proper tools (a pressure bleeder helps) and access to a lift you should be able to perform a brake fluid flush. I do, however, think the modern ABS systems require some massaging of the electronics to ensure the system is completely flushed and replenished with the proper clean brake fluid whilst preventing any air to enter the system.

That said, and I'm a big DIY believer, I've seen area BMW dealers offering brake fluid flush/replacement "specials" for less than $100. When I factor in my time and using proper tools and such, it may be a better "deal" to leave some tasks to the pro's!
You don't need a lift: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=60186

Also, I can't see where the electronics factor into it regardless of ABS or not. What kind of "massaging" would you do? I can't think of anything electronic that would verify that the system is flushed, or insure that air isn't introduced.

Use different color fluid to tell when everything is flushed, and use proper technique to make sure no air is introduced. Bleeding brakes is really quite simple; it was my first DIY (other than changing oil once) and it couldn't have been easier.

I've seen dealers just suck out the master cylinder and refill and call it a flush and fill. No thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='753005' date='Dec 26 2008, 09:37 AM
You don't need a lift: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=60186

Also, I can't see where the electronics factor into it regardless of ABS or not. What kind of "massaging" would you do? I can't think of anything electronic that would verify that the system is flushed, or insure that air isn't introduced.

Use different color fluid to tell when everything is flushed, and use proper technique to make sure no air is introduced. Bleeding brakes is really quite simple; it was my first DIY (other than changing oil once) and it couldn't have been easier.

I've seen dealers just suck out the master cylinder and refill and call it a flush and fill. No thanks.
> What kind of "massaging" would you do? > There are several methods (depending on the ABS system) to achieve cycling of the system and ensuring the brake fluid flush is complete and that no air is trapped.
> I've seen dealers just suck out the master cylinder and refill and call it a flush and fill. > You've seen the wrong dealers but I'm sure they exist.
> I've done my share of brake fluid flushes etc over the past xx# of years but now decide what DIY stuff I choose to do and what other repair and maintenance tasks I leave to a select group of skilled mechanics who help maintain my cars.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='753065' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:16 PM
I've done my share of brake fluid flushes etc over the past xx# of years but now decide what DIY stuff I choose to do and what other repair and maintenance tasks I leave to a select group of skilled mechanics who help maintain my cars.
Kind of my point: you don't need to be a skilled mechanic, or even a unskilled one to do a brake fluid flush and fill. There is a lot of voodoo myth about these floating around that just isn't true.

I've always been amused at how many people will leave a brake fluid change to a dealer because they think it's complicated, but have no problem plugging a $100 internet-purchased device into their ECU.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

Just a quick question, how much brake fluid is needed to flsuh the system? Just 1 liter will do?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 330CI & 545I

After the flush how do you reset the I-drive?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=44579

Check out the 2nd post.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lawr' post='765815' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:05 PM
Just a quick question, how much brake fluid is needed to flsuh the system? Just 1 liter will do?
That would be more than enough.

Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid