DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

caution when plastidiping shadowline , DIY removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011
Default caution when plastidiping shadowline , DIY removal

i plastidipped my shadowline almost a year ago. after so long, it just started to look very cheap and started weathering away. i always wanted to vinyl wrap it but just seem like too much to pay someone to do and looked kind of hard. well after practicing on stuff and getting familiar with wrapping, i finally did it. i am more pleased with how it came out than how it did when i first plastidipped it (and believe me, i was praising plastidip, told everyone to do their shadowline and did a DIY for it on here as well) well heres my horror story!

the plastidip started to weather away and slowly parts of it began peeling, i always thought its going to come off so easily when i do finally vinyl wrap it! WRONG! i don't know if its because of the heat recently in socal or just being on there so long, it will not peel off, every couple pulls, it just breaks. and i KNOW i put a nice heavy coat on it when i did it. i mean, how thick did i have to make this!

a few things i tried to get it off that didnt work:
1. clean surface and added more plastidip coats, hoping making it thicker would help peel it off, but this did not work and the new coat just peeled off
2. a pencil eraser also did not work.
3. really heavy duty tape/duct tape, now this kind of helped, it was a lot easier using this method to remove the parts that would feel.
4. rubbing it with my finger and using my nail was working but OUCH!! id be doing it for days!

finally what worked! i used some Ooops! graffiti remover. now i was really careful when using this, as i didnt want to get any on my paint, or window or anything like that...so i used painters tape and taped around the shadowline, and sprayed it...let it sit for a few minute and then sprayed it again. also lettting it sit for a few minutes. with each spray with a terry cloth i would wipe away anything on the tape so it wont run down. now you wont see it magically peel, but when i spray a little on the towel i was using and started to rub the plastidip , it started to rub away. so after hours of trying so many methods, i was able to clean my trim and have it ready for vinyl in like 10 minutes for each trim using this method.

i hope i can save people the headache, and trouble from my experience. please note this is MY method, it worked for me, but not im not responsible for any damage that can happen if you try this method. my rubber gaskets on the trim did not get damage or the chrome underneath. but it will be smart to do a test spray on the corner as i did before attempting this.

remember: better to do it right the first time, so you wont spend time and money doing it right another time. should have followed this rule that i knew for so long.

vinyl wrapped.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I have removed massive amount of Plasti Dip so I am going to offer my experience as well.

First of all, spraying on new Plasti Dip over old CAN work, however, you need to let it sit -- the longer the better. I tried it waiting for half and hour versus leaving it overnight, the section I left overnight came off pretty cleanly (despite my initial coat not being thick enough).

As far as the peel goes, it literally IS peel off you you have 3-4+ coats. It will come off easily.

Obviously the pain is when it's not thick enough. One product that I have found to work is Goo Gone. Note, it's GONE and not OFF. Gone is not abrasive like Off and is actually safe for the paint. It will make the job easier, but it's still some work to get it off.