DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Carbon Fiber Wrap of the Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Hi All,

First of all allow me to give you a break down of the parts you need, each individual pricing, as well as method of acquiring the parts. I think it is most useful to know exactly the steps from the beginning to the end in order to avoid 1000 questions down the line.

A - 3M BLUE HARD PLASTIC CARD SQUEEGEE 4 Carbon Fiber DiNoc -http://www.ebay.com/itm/370419425447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648 #ht_1791wt_737

B - 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap-BLACK 24" x 60" Sheet -
Amazon Amazon

C -Wagner Power Products 503008 HT 1000 1,200-Watt Heat Gun -
Amazon Amazon

D- Utility Razor blades - STANLEY TOOLS 10-150 Quick Point Utility Knife 9mm -
Amazon Amazon

E - two not so handsome dudes and a 12 pack of your beverage of choice (optional).

OK lets start the process;

- get a bowl of warm water and mix rubbing alcohol %80 water, %20 Alcohol.
- drench the terry cloth towel in the mixture and start cleaning the desired area (diffuser in this case).
- after you clean it throughly then dry out the the treated area, take special attention to the cavities and curves and make sure they are dry.
- tell your friend to stop cracking the bruskis and lend you a hand now!!!!
- take the sheet and hold against the diffuser and roughly estimate the install surface area and leave yourself 2 to 3 inches of overlap.
- make sure the pattern is correct!
- Stick the center of the sheet to the center of the diffuser first and pull on the top and bottom then make contact with the rest of the diffuser ( this is very important since by doing this you will minimize air bubbles.
- slowly start from the center working your way towards the outside using your squeegee. ( take your time)
- now you need to contour the sheet with all the corners and the exhaust opening, have your buddy heat up the area with the gun (HOLD THE HEAT-GUN ABOUT 5 INCHES AWAY FROM THE SHEET IF YOU OVER HEAT THE SHEET IT WILL RIP AND THEN YOU ARE IN TROUBLE)
- you can install the sheet around the contoured or cornered areas and using your thumb or fingers gently stick the sheet and contour it to the desired shape. I find it much better using your fingers at this point in case you over heated the sheet if you use the squeegee it will brake trough the sheet.
- now you can cut out the extra material and wipe it down,stand back and admire your work.

Have in mind this is my first time doing the diffuser and I must say some areas like the exhaust opening and the outside curves are a bitch and requires patience and finesse!!!!

IT IS TIME TO CRACK ANOTHER BREW, SMOKE'EM IF YOU GOT'EM!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Wrap of the Rear Diffuser-rear-diffuser.jpg