DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Bulbs and More!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Hello all. I have a 2005 545i with EVERYTHING on it [no package left unturned]. I have the Adaptive Xenons that serve as my main lights. I have recently upgraded my Angel Eyes to the Angelibright v3.0, changed my Fogs to PIAA Extreme Whites all thanks to this forum - and I can tell you they now look and appear beau-ti-fool!! BUT - I need help with my flash-to-pass bulbs which are located on the inner aspect of the headlamp unit, most adjacent to the kidney grilles because I want to change them out too....

These are the bulbs you use when you flash your beams at all those non E60ers.... I have the Xenon lamps so this is not a Halogen Conversion or a Xenon question. I specifically am referring to the inner most bulbs on the E60 headlamp assembly. My question:

1. What Bulb types are these? Are they H7, 12V 55W?
2. Has anyone out there actually swapped them out?
3. I am looking for purer, whiter light that closely matches the Xenons so bulb suggestions are welcome...

BTW - if anyone needs any help with the Fogs or the AEs - post it here and I will do my best to help. It's not as simple as the DIY posts here would make it seem... Thanks in advance. Big Up to RUDY who suggested I post this....
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As far as the bulb type, I was able to find a TIS document that might help.

Here's what you need for cars with Xenon headlights produced prior to (or up to) March 2007 (pre-LCI):
Xenon_up_to_03_07.pdf
Here's the document for cars with Xenon headlights produced after March 2007 (LCI):
Xenon_after_03_07.pdf
(Obviously, the LCI cars use the main beams as flash-to-pass so upgrading the inner bulbs would only affect the cornering lights -- which, by the way, are not very white at all...)
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='466788' date='Sep 6 2007, 10:29 PM
As far as the bulb type, I was able to find a TIS document that might help.

Here's what you need for cars with Xenon headlights produced prior to (or up to) March 2007 (pre-LCI):
Attachment 37205
Here's the document for cars with Xenon headlights produced after March 2007 (LCI):
Attachment 37206
(Obviously, the LCI cars use the main beams as flash-to-pass so upgrading the inner bulbs would only affect the cornering lights -- which, by the way, are not very white at all...)
Perfect - thanks. Will do some research now on bulbs that meet these specs - pre 2007 for my vehicle. I will let you know what I chose....
Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

Ok - so did some research and came up with this.

The PIAA Extreme Whites are probably the safest bet - extreme white light with a hint of blue sets it apart from the Xenons when you flash to pass. I bought them online from eBay [search for PIAA H7] and got free shipping too. Will install and post pix when all lights are in full force.

Pity that BMW doesn't take the time to really put some nice bulbs in their vehicles. The OEM Phillips crap and the AE halogen bulb are really quite pathetic in the pre-LCI vehicles.

Will post a nice DIY with pix once I change them out - should be easy after my familiarity with the headlamp layout after my AE install.