DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by chrislinney
good brakes instead of excellent brakes is the price you pay for les brake dust , having said that , it can take a while for a pad to wear in ,
i usually go for ebc brakes on past cars , generally opting for greenstuff over red , for less brake dust than stock pads but more than redstuff ,
Strangely i found red stuff has less dust than grenstuff, the new redstuff has ceramic compounds which improve the stopping power and lower dust
Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

This is so frustrating for me - reading this thread, first the Axxis deluxe pads are great, then someone says they aren't better than stock?!?!?! I think I'll go with the Hawk pads after all - SCCA chose them, they can't be that bad...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

^^^
Even you go w/ Hawk (SCCA recommended), it also depends on which pads you get.

If you get Hawk Ceramic then it's probably less brake than BMW OEM just like the Axxis Deluxe as they are designed for more of "OEM" replacement (OEM here means OE of "normal cars").

BMW OEM Sport package pads are not normal and it's actually pretty good (that's why it's DUSTY)
If you are doing AutoX/Track Day try your STOCK pads first and see if you are satisfied
(don't forget to flush the brake fluid too)

Then when you feel you need better brakes then try Hawk HPS or EBC Red if you want to do LIGHT track day/Autox.

Then if you feel you need more bite, then go w/ Hawk HP+ or EBC Yellow (if they made one for E60) - this is one step prior going to track compound which usually squeeks.

Aggressive: EBC Yellow / Hawk HP+
More aggressive: EBC Red (my choice)/Axxis Ultimate dust like crazy but cheap!
Mid aggressive: Hawk HPS (my choice)
Less aggressive: EBC Green probably same as BMW OEM Sport
Commute car quiet/low dust: Hawk Ceramic/Axxis Deluxe/EBC Ultimax (maybe same brake power as non sport BMW)

Just keep in mind the better the braking = dustier = noiser
Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by salaki
^^^
Even you go w/ Hawk (SCCA recommended), it also depends on which pads you get.

If you get Hawk Ceramic then it's probably less brake than BMW OEM just like the Axxis Deluxe as they are designed for more of "OEM" replacement (OEM here means OE of "normal cars").

BMW OEM Sport package pads are not normal and it's actually pretty good (that's why it's DUSTY)
If you are doing AutoX/Track Day try your STOCK pads first and see if you are satisfied
(don't forget to flush the brake fluid too)

Then when you feel you need better brakes then try Hawk HPS or EBC Red if you want to do LIGHT track day/Autox.

Then if you feel you need more bite, then go w/ Hawk HP+ or EBC Yellow (if they made one for E60) - this is one step prior going to track compound which usually squeeks.

Aggressive: EBC Yellow / Hawk HP+
More aggressive: EBC Red (my choice)/Axxis Ultimate dust like crazy but cheap!
Mid aggressive: Hawk HPS (my choice)
Less aggressive: EBC Green probably same as BMW OEM Sport
Commute car quiet/low dust: Hawk Ceramic/Axxis Deluxe/EBC Ultimax (maybe same brake power as non sport BMW)

Just keep in mind the better the braking = dustier = noiser
Thanks! I'm literally almost pulling the trigger on the Stoptech Premium Perfomance pads and now I've got to consider whether to go Hawk or not after all.

I have tried braking hard with the OEM brakes last summer, and on a course with lots of elevation changes, pretty difficult route with lots of braking points - OEMs faded a LOT, I thought. Basically, I don't really care about the dust - I'm going either gunmetal or black with my rims anyway, so it won't even show so much. Just not sure whether the extra few bucks for the Hawks is really worth the diff...
Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Thanks! I'm literally almost pulling the trigger on the Stoptech Premium Perfomance pads and now I've got to consider whether to go Hawk or not after all.

I have tried braking hard with the OEM brakes last summer, and on a course with lots of elevation changes, pretty difficult route with lots of braking points - OEMs faded a LOT, I thought. Basically, I don't really care about the dust - I'm going either gunmetal or black with my rims anyway, so it won't even show so much. Just not sure whether the extra few bucks for the Hawks is really worth the diff...
Looking at the track w/ downhill elevation changes, you track day the E60 pretty often, and you don't care abt dust/squeeks then I'd just go straight to EBC Yellow or Hawk HP+ unless you really want to try the stage of brake pads compound

I had Hawk HPS on my STI before and I felt they are still geared toward performance street or AutoX (which usually doesn't go over 60 mph w/ downhill braking).
Old 02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Members

Confusing thread. so if I want:

- similar to stock (for performance and rotor wear) but less dust? Does it exist?

- more bite than stock but no more severe rotor wear?

or the least dust possible?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
Confusing thread. so if I want:

- similar to stock (for performance and rotor wear) but less dust? Does it exist?

- more bite than stock but no more severe rotor wear?

or the least dust possible?
possible. most popular pad that our customers have gone with have been the posi-quiets, which we personally run too or have ran with. they do reduce brake dust and some feedback we've had is that the performance is about the same as stock if not a tad better. for our customers who have wanted more bite, we set them up with the Axxis Ultimates.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Contributors

I ended up going with a set of Hawk HPS pads and Centric Drilled and slotted rotors. So far, the pedal is numb and I've been told it is due to Hawk HPS pads, but I'm hoping that once they are broken in, I'll bed them in and they'll bite very well. As a matter of fact, I already feel that the initial bite is stronger than the stocks that I replaced. I'll start a new thread to report the details of my experience with these brakes when I get more time behind the wheel with them - so far it is both a little cold out and the brakes are brand new = feel numb, brake "lazily".
Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i...just bought so in progress...dont know where to start??? Want to do: LCI Tails, Xenon Headlights, Tints, Wheels, Trunk and Roof Spoiler, iPod Adapter...the list goes on.

hey guys when your sensor says you need to replace your pads do you need to buy a new sensor or can the sensors be re-used??

thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Members

You need to replace the sensor. Even if the sensor isn't worn down, I always recommend replacing it when replacing pads because it usually ends up having problems shortly after anyway.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads