DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='825843' date='Mar 25 2009, 02:38 AM
i forgot the brand but it was called "the red stuff"

it's amazing and very very little brake dust. i can go weeks without having to wash my car just for my rims.
Its called EBC
Under rated product in here
Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW525i 20 inch wheels, tinted tails windows, and headlights, acs style spoiler, painted calipers, HID fogs, angelibrights, 1999 Chevy S-10-lambo doors, retractable license plate, rims, lowered, custom thru body kit exhaust w/twin slash tips, ect..., 2007 gsxr750 fully modded.

do duralast pads leave a lot of brake dust? or just go with the Green or Red EBC's?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i Monaco Blue

Thanks guys

It looks like most of you favor the axxis deluxe. By the way is the brake sensor difficult to install?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Ahsan' post='827235' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys

It looks like most of you favor the axxis deluxe. By the way is the brake sensor difficult to install?
just intalled my rotors and pads. I went with Axxis deluxe and really happy with them. Sensors are really easy, one the passenger rear and one in the driver side front. Below is a link if you need a guide. This was my first time doing a rotor and pad change ever, was really nervous. But thanks to the guys on this site, it gave confidence and help on how to do it.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=545+brake

--Reggie
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i Monaco Blue

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur' post='829044' date='Mar 28 2009, 10:58 AM
just intalled my rotors and pads. I went with Axxis deluxe and really happy with them. Sensors are really easy, one the passenger rear and one in the driver side front. Below is a link if you need a guide. This was my first time doing a rotor and pad change ever, was really nervous. But thanks to the guys on this site, it gave confidence and help on how to do it.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=545+brake

--Reggie
Thanks great info

Is it necessary to change out the rotors with the Pad change? I have about 31000 mile on mine.

Which rotor did you go with and if you don't mind, how did they cost you?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Ahsan' post='829231' date='Mar 28 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks great info

Is it necessary to change out the rotors with the Pad change? I have about 31000 mile on mine.

Which rotor did you go with and if you don't mind, how did they cost you?
To be honest, I am not an expert but I changed mine all the way around due to my mileage. Now I think you might be able to get away with just changing the pads due to your miles. But if you have the $$, I would change rotors and pads. I went with R1Concepts E Lines rotors due to my budget with Axxis delus pads and bought new sensors so the error will clear on your iDrive. I wanted to get the premium but figured this will be as good as I dont drive my car that hard and I do a lot of Highway driving. Auto Trinity sells them or you can just google the name and will give you other sellers. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ahsan' post='825822' date='Mar 24 2009, 09:51 PM
I have read the threads and surfed the web and found that their are many options when choosing brake pads. Which one do you guys recommend for great performance and no/low dust?
I have the axxis deluxe pads on stock rotors. I went from washing my wheels twice a week to just going through a touchless car wash once a week and the wheels never show dust. I did pay a penalty though. I would say that the axxis pads have about 85-90% of the bite that the stock ones had. This resulted in havind "good" brakes instead of "excellent" street brakes.

I am interested in attending some driving schools and maybe acouple of autocrosses this year. My research on the web told me that the axxis deluxe pads should not be used on the track. I have just ordered Cool Carbon pads from Brav Auto because I've read that they don't dust too much on the street, but they will resist fading at the track. (driving school, not all day racing) I was originally going to get the axxis ult pads, but I've read that they make a lot of dust, and I don't want to go back to scrubing wheels every week. I'm looking forward to getting the bite back in my brakes. I just hope the cool carbons don't dust too much.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Deano' post='829533' date='Mar 28 2009, 10:42 PM
I have the axxis deluxe pads on stock rotors. I went from washing my wheels twice a week to just going through a touchless car wash once a week and the wheels never show dust. I did pay a penalty though. I would say that the axxis pads have about 85-90% of the bite that the stock ones had. This resulted in havind "good" brakes instead of "excellent" street brakes.

I am interested in attending some driving schools and maybe acouple of autocrosses this year. My research on the web told me that the axxis deluxe pads should not be used on the track. I have just ordered Cool Carbon pads from Brav Auto because I've read that they don't dust too much on the street, but they will resist fading at the track. (driving school, not all day racing) I was originally going to get the axxis ult pads, but I've read that they make a lot of dust, and I don't want to go back to scrubing wheels every week. I'm looking forward to getting the bite back in my brakes. I just hope the cool carbons don't dust too much.

Good luck!
nice, please let us know how the cool carbon pads compare to the axxis pads in terms of daily driver performance and brake dust
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

good brakes instead of excellent brakes is the price you pay for les brake dust , having said that , it can take a while for a pad to wear in ,
i usually go for ebc brakes on past cars , generally opting for greenstuff over red , for less brake dust than stock pads but more than redstuff ,
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Members

how do these Deluxe pads compare to OEM pads for rotor wear? Less?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads