BMW 2004 E60 530i (Pre-LCI) CCC DVD drive / player replacement
CCC CID displays blank map image, or map image is frozen
CCC CID displays message "DVD read error! Please check DVD."
CCC CID displays message "Please Insert Navigation DVD."
INPA shows DVD drive status as media inserted, media unrecognized, temperature normal.
The current 2007 BMW original navigation disc works OK in another BMW CCC system.
A new set of 2011 BMW original navigation discs did not fix the problem.
SI B 65 01 10
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRS July 2010
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B65 01 10 dated June 2010
*** designates changes to this revision
CCC - "Please Insert Navigation DVD" Appears on CID
E60, E61 (5 Series) produced from 1/2004 to 8/2008
E63, E64 (6 Series) produced from 1/2004 to 8/2008
E70 (X5) produced from 10/2006 to 9/2009
E71 (X6) produced from 10/2006 to 9/2009
E82, E88 (1 Series) produced from 9/2004 to 8/2008
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) produced from 3/2005 to 8/2008
All vehicles equipped with SA 609 (CCC Car Communication Computer)
The navigation map DVD cannot be read or detected. The message "Please insert navigation DVD" appears in the CID (Central Information Display). The navigation system is inoperative.
Faulty DVD drive; read error due to hardening of the anti-vibration gel on the read head
- Ensure that the map DVD is not faulty by swapping it with a map DVD known to work.
- Perform a vehicle test using the latest ISTA (Integrated Service Technical Application) diagnostic software. Diagnose any relevant faults that are stored by completing the test plans.
- Perform and complete the test plan "W6590_WAS2-CCC: malfunction" by selecting the fault system "411", "DVD not recognized". Please note the DIAGCODE presented at the end of the test plan. The test plan can be accessed the via the following path:
Select "Function structure\Body\Audio, Video, Telephone, Navigation\Fault patterns\Fault profile 2: Car Communication Computer".
- If the test plan prompts to replace the DVD drive, refer to ISTA Repair Instructions "REP 6583580 Removing and installing/replacing DVD drive for Car Communication Computer".
*** Note: If the DVD drive is replaced, it is not necessary to replace the map DVD or program the vehicle. Please refer to the attachment to this Service Information bulletin, which provides information on the differences when connecting the ribbon cable to the new drive.
Part Number: 65 83 9 241 764
Description: DVD Drive
65-83-9-241-764 Replace DVD player
$110, core $200
I elected to replace the CCC cooling fan as well.
65-83-6-933-200 Electric fan
Useful posts from forum members (Thanks, Georgieb):
nelson29 - CIC Retrofit Installation LOG
robg520d - Dash Trim Change Guide
BMW TIS / REP Instructions:
My-pre installation actions:
- Eject any disc still in CD and DVD slots
- Cover transmission shifter with a sock for protection from scratches; move shifter to a most rearward position (furthest from CCC)
- Use thick bath towel to protect transmission shifter area trim from scratches
- Tools: screw drivers: Philips #1, T8 or T7; socket 10 mm for vehicle battery negative post; auto trim removal tool from Harbor Freight Tools
; I used only the straight, tapered tool, 2nd from left
BMW TIS - 61 31 079 Removing and installing/replacing switch for hazard warning system/central locking
BMW TIS - 51 45 380 Removing and installing (replacing) right decorative strip on instrument panel
In the next procedure, I found the long screwdriver to be too harsh on on the trim, I used the same auto trim tool mentioned earlier.
BMW TIS - 51 45 310 Removing and installing (replacing) center trim for instrument panel
Use the next procedure to access the vehicle battery and to disconnect the negative power cable. Nut torque is only 5 Nm / 3.6 ft-lbs.
BMW TIS - 61 21 010 Removing and installing battery
BMW TIS - 65 83 010 Removing and installing/replacing Car Communication Computer
BMW TIS - 65 83 560 Removing and installing/replacing front trim for Car Communication Computer
Achtung! When working inside the CCC, be aware that metal contact with PCB boards may result in electrical sparks, even if CCC has been unpowered for one hour or more. I've been told this is just harmless discharge of capacitors. Use caution nonetheless. Try flipping the CCC over on a clean table to retrieve any dropped screws instead of trying to fish for them.
BMW TIS - 65 83 580 Removing and installing/replacing DVD drive for Car Communication Computer
BMW TIS - 65 83 550 Removing and installing/replacing fan for Car Communication Computer
My-post installation actions:
- Reconnect battery negative power cable
- Set correct time (and date if necessary)
- Check CCC operations: navigation, iPod, MP3 CD in CD slot, MP3 CD in DVD slot, MP3 DVD+R SL in DVD slot, Next/Prev/FastForward/Rewind, radio
- Check climate control button operations
- Check lower center console button operations: heated seat, DSC, etc
- Reset Active Steering warning (if applicable). Drive vehicle to an open space / parking lot. Proceed at a slow speed and turn steering wheel lock-to-lock and return steering wheel to center position. Turn off engine and wait at least 10 seconds.
Hopes this help someone else. Let me know if I missed anything.