DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AUX cable mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Here is my step-by-step procedure to remove the resisitors/capacitors from the AUX input cable.

Forgive the blurry pictures. I had to use my cell phone camera, and it doesn't like zooming in so close.

I started by removing the faceplate, which makes manipulating the cable easier.

Next you will need to remove the cloth wrap which protects the wire. Look for the fat end near the input faceplate. Remove the sheathing until you expose this board.

Cut the wires on either side of the board to remove.

Next you will need to strip the wires with an 18 AWG wire-stripper tool.

Next I cut some heatshrink tubing which will be used to protect the new connections I am about to make.

Place the tubing over each of the three wires, before you make the connections.

Twist the appropriate wire ends together.

I soldered my connections. You could also use butt connectors, but soldering is best.

Once all the connections are soldered, I positioned the heatshrink tubing over each wire and used a heat gun to shrink them.

Last, I used a large piece of heatshrnk tubing to cover all three of the wires in a neat bundle. That's it. The wire looks almost as good as new.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job, Subfuse!

P.S. Time to buy new cell phone?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Yeah. I have had this RAZR since October 2004. It's LONG past due for a new one.

I want the Motorola Q, but it still hasn't released yet, and when it does in a few weeks.... it will be on Verizon.

This sucks because that means the phone won't be GSM, so I can't unlock it to use with T-Mobile or Cingular.

The GSM version won't be out for 6 months after Verizon gets it.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

Does this make the aux in louder? Mine is lousy quiet, I?ve to turn the gain up. Changing the source the volume is horrible loud.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Harry' post='261949' date='Mar 29 2006, 06:09 PM
Does this make the aux in louder? Mine is lousy quiet, I?ve to turn the gain up. Changing the source the volume is horrible loud.
I think it made mine very slightly louder, but there is still a real difference compared to other sources.

Just have to remember to turn the vol down if you switch back to radio (or get deafened)
Old 04-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Harry' post='261949' date='Mar 29 2006, 06:09 PM
Interesting DIY...what are the benefits in doing this mod?? I have a Nano via the AUX in, I would like to achieve the volume levels of the MP3 CD's I play via the single slot.

Having the L7 HiFi, base is of interest also...

What does it give??
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='266673' date='Apr 9 2006, 11:39 AM
Interesting DIY...what are the benefits in doing this mod?? I have a Nano via the AUX in, I would like to achieve the volume levels of the MP3 CD's I play via the single slot.

Having the L7 HiFi, base is of interest also...

What does it give??
This doesn't do anything to correct the volume difference between the aux in and cd's.

The resistors removed in the modification are there to protect the sound system from overloading, but as a side effect they also stop any proper bass coming through. Snipping them out makes the aux in sound MUCH better, but not any louder.

If you do this you should also run a programme called mp3gain on your mp3's to normalise their volume levels at 89dba and ONLY connect via the line out. This will mean that the output from your nano is never powerful enough to damage your speakers or amp.

If you just want to sort of the volume difference, then you could try using mp3 gain to up the volume of your mp3's, but would need to leave the resistors in place - and will hence have rubbish bass.

Altering the cable is REALLY easy - I didn't even solder mine, just twisted the ends together and wrapped with electricians tape, and the sound improvement is dramatic.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='266776' date='Apr 9 2006, 11:26 AM
This doesn't do anything to correct the volume difference between the aux in and cd's.

The resistors removed in the modification are there to protect the sound system from overloading, but as a side effect they also stop any proper bass coming through. Snipping them out makes the aux in sound MUCH better, but not any louder.

If you do this you should also run a programme called mp3gain on your mp3's to normalise their volume levels at 89dba and ONLY connect via the line out. This will mean that the output from your nano is never powerful enough to damage your speakers or amp.

If you just want to sort of the volume difference, then you could try using mp3 gain to up the volume of your mp3's, but would need to leave the resistors in place - and will hence have rubbish bass.

Altering the cable is REALLY easy - I didn't even solder mine, just twisted the ends together and wrapped with electricians tape, and the sound improvement is dramatic.
You're either too lazy to solder yours or you don't have soldering iron
Chances are the second one
Old 04-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Contributors

You're either too lazy to solder yours or you don't have soldering iron

My soldered and heatshrink-wrapped connections OWN! Bow to me.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='267773

My soldered and heatshrink-wrapped connections OWN! Bow to me.
I think the heatshrink MIGHT be going a bit far

But seriously - no harm in doing it right

Quick Reply: AUX cable mod