DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Auto Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have retrofitted M5 mirrors in a US 530i. Everything was working fine except the autofolding function. Since the non M5 E60 was never offered this as an option or as a retrofit by BMW NA the dealers have no option to load the software into our cars.

I don't know why BMW NA never offered this as an option or as a retrofit in the US. I know they read this forum and it would be nice to stand up and give us an explanation for once. My communication to BMW NA always resulted in a generic no-content answer which can be summarized as to "talk to your dealer".

After puzzling with the autofolding function for a while, I have finally solved the problem. I got two door modules from a European car that had the autofolding option. As soon as I put them on everything worked like a charm. The mirrors folding and unfolding nicely. The part number for the door modules for up to March 05 (3 wires mirrors) are:
61.35.9.110.845 (Driver's side) and 61.35.9.110.846 (Mother in Law side)

Of course the mirrors fold only by pressing the button on the door switch and not with the key when you lock the car. Until BMW NA offers this retrofit (I hope you are hearing BMWNA) our dealers probably cannot program our keys to do so.

Now the bad side. I am guessing that before I take the car to the dealer for a software upgrade I need to fit the old door modules in fear the software will be overriden with the non auto-folding US version.

Another side benefit if you get the rear door modules. You can re-trofit the electric sun blind. This is controlled by the rear door modules. However, since this has been an option in the US you are not running the risk to override the software of the door modules with a CIP upgade.

I can see "my530i" taking his door panels out soon.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='406487' date='Mar 24 2007, 04:14 PM
I have retrofitted M5 mirrors in a US 530i. Everything was working fine except the autofolding function. Since the non M5 E60 was never offered this as an option or as a retrofit by BMW NA the dealers have no option to load the software into our cars.

I don't know why BMW NA never offered this as an option or as a retrofit in the US. I know they read this forum and it would be nice to stand up and give us an explanation for once. My communication to BMW NA always resulted in a generic no-content answer which can be summarized as to "talk to your dealer".

After puzzling with the autofolding function for a while, I have finally solved the problem. I got two door modules from a European car that had the autofolding option. As soon as I put them on everything worked like a charm. The mirrors folding and unfolding nicely. The part number for the door modules for up to March 05 (3 wires mirrors) are:

Of course the mirrors fold only by pressing the button on the door switch and not with the key when you lock the car. Until BMW NA offers this retrofit (I hope you are hearing BMWNA) our dealers probably cannot program our keys to do so.

Now the bad side. I am guessing that before I take the car to the dealer for a software upgrade I need to fit the old door modules in fear the software will be overriden with the non auto-folding US version.

Another side benefit if you get the rear door modules. You can re-trofit the electric sun blind. This is controlled by the rear door modules. However, since this has been an option in the US you are not running the risk to override the software of the door modules with a CIP upgade.

The Luxury cars mirrors should have features like retractable/ collapsible like steering wheel, sliding up/down, heating, defrosting, auto dimming, memory settings, BLIS(blind spot tech as in volvos), lighting on ground, These are useful.(instead auto folding:no big deal for me, anyway these are STD. OR come with Premium pkg on MY 2008 E60).

I like to have features that are useful in safety and convinience but not just for fun. There are other BMW cars for fun.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='406491' date='Mar 24 2007, 11:32 PM
The Luxury cars mirrors should have features like retractable/ collapsible like steering wheel, sliding up/down, heating, defrosting, auto dimming, memory settings, BLIS(blind spot tech as in volvos), lighting on ground, These are useful.(instead auto folding:no big deal for me, anyway these are STD. OR come with Premium pkg on MY 2008 E60).

I like to have features that are useful in safety and convinience but not just for fun. There are other BMW cars for fun.
Ahh, it is very useful function. I can make sure whether I have locked my car, or no, from a distance 100 metres far, haha
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='406487' date='Mar 24 2007, 11:14 PM
I am guessing that before I take the car to the dealer for a software upgrade I need to fit the old door modules in fear the software will be overriden with the non auto-folding US version.
You could advice dealer to deter/cancel the door modules upgrade during programming
Old 03-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='406515' date='Mar 24 2007, 06:10 PM
You could advice dealer to deter/cancel the door modules upgrade during programming
I can but i don't trust them that much and I don't want to import a second set of modules from Greece.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='406487' date='Mar 24 2007, 05:14 PM

How much did you pay for the 2 door modules ? I think it ain't cheap ....
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

I paid $50 each but that was a very friendly price. New ones are about $300 each and some dealers can take 25% off. I think there was a post in this forum that Newport BMW was offering the 25%. I am guessing you can get them second hand for $100 to $150.

Just to clarify, these will not fold/unfold the mirrors when you lock/unlock the car with the key. They provide folding functionality when you press the fold button on the window switch.

I am working on making the mirrors fold/unfold when you lock/unlock the car. This will take a little while to do it correctly with current sensing so the mirror motors are not burnt if the mirror is stuck.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='407571' date='Mar 27 2007, 11:45 AM
I paid $50 each but that was a very friendly price. New ones are about $300 each and some dealers can take 25% off. I think there was a post in this forum that Newport BMW was offering the 25%. I am guessing you can get them second hand for $100 to $150.

Just to clarify, these will not fold/unfold the mirrors when you lock/unlock the car with the key. They provide folding functionality when you press the fold button on the window switch.

I am working on making the mirrors fold/unfold when you lock/unlock the car. This will take a little while to do it correctly with current sensing so the mirror motors are not burnt if the mirror is stuck.
Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to seeing your mod to come true ...

BTW, your door modules were from Europe, correct ? If that is the case then we cannot order them in US, otherwise, we will get the non-folding door module
Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='407583' date='Mar 27 2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to seeing your mod to come true ...

BTW, your door modules were from Europe, correct ? If that is the case then we cannot order them in US, otherwise, we will get the non-folding door module
If you order from the US then you need the door modules from the M5. M5s always came with folding mirrors.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='407587' date='Mar 27 2007, 12:14 PM
If you order from the US then you need the door modules from the M5. M5s always came with folding mirrors.
I see. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Auto Folding Mirrors