DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Attempting transmission oil change on 545i any help? Dont know what fl

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
How many miles do you have? Just wondering cause I have 115,000 on my 05 545i and thought about doing this also. Ive worked at Honda for 5 years and I know that if the cars have a lot of miles and never had the fluid changed that you should leave it cause it can cause it to slip. I don't know if it's an issue on the bmws
I have around 65k on mine but i have to do it due to a leak wich ive read is common on these cars. I am also going to replace the oil pan, gasket,o ring, and the mechatronics sleeve
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Members

Any one know how many liters your suppose to have in the transmission my car has had a leak so i dont want to over or under fill it
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by jc545
Any one know how many liters your suppose to have in the transmission my car has had a leak so i dont want to over or under fill it
did you read the diy thread?
you cant overfill it.
about 5.5 litres
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Members

I have ben ready alot of threads all over the web i cant recall wich ot was exactly i have them all bookmarked though. I do remeber reading in one that over filling can cause harm. Thanks for the info i am just about ready to order everything i need
Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

I have ben ready alot of threads all over the web i cant recall wich ot was exactly i have them all bookmarked though. I do remeber reading in one that over filling can cause harm. Thanks for the info i am just about ready to order everything i need
this thread.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/881...-drain-refill/

and if you did read up on it, you'd realize you cant overfill the trans, since the fluid would come out of the fill hole.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Members

I read that one in fact i have it saved also. I have skimmed many threads on changing out the i just happen to come across one comment that daid you could over fill the trans and wanted to make sure i was going to do it correctly thats all
Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As per the written DIYs it is a two step procedure of drain and fill once, drive a few hundred miles and do a second drain and fill.

Amount that will drain (and you will have to refill) is a function of how long you let the sump drain. I let mine drain for two hours and got out roughly 5.75 quarts. Leaving it drain overnight will yield a more complete drain (I have heard up to 6.25-6.5 quarts). Plan on around 12 quarts total for the two procedures.

RE Overfill - The ATF, like all fluids, has a coefficient of expansion. As the fluid temperature increases it expands. If after starting the engine and stirring through the gears you were to do a final fill and then quickly reinstall the fill plug you would get a very slight overfill. If you allow the fluid to reach the specified temperature it will dribble out excess fluid until the correct level is reached.

Serious transmission overfilling only happens where a fluid filler tube design is involved and the operator neglects to follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding reading a dip stick.

In non-dip stick transmission designs serious under filling can result if the engine is not started, gears shifted and a second additional top-off fill performed before reinstalling the fill plug.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Members

Ok so as i was attempting this today i ran into a huge problem. While i had turned the car on to play though the gears while i had 3.5 liters of fluid replaced a transmission failure message came on and the cars reverse did not want to engage can anyone please steer me in the right direction ?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so as i was attempting this today i ran into a huge problem. While i had turned the car on to play though the gears while i had 3.5 liters of fluid replaced a transmission failure message came on and the cars reverse did not want to engage can anyone please steer me in the right direction ?

Just finish the second fill with the engine on. Don't worry if the gears won't engage just move the shift lever all the way back and forth a few times and then finish your fill.

Dash warning light may have come on because of low fluid level until you finish the fill.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

id like to thank everyone for their help i finished the fluid change but forgot to update the thread. right after finishing i drove the car and it shifts smooth really smooth better than ever before.i am still debating getting the 2-1 tip procedure just as some reassurance to eliminate the bit of slam it had.i dont know if its a must beacuase the slam is gone..?