DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 07:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by smartshah
Check this URL for all the PIN assignments

https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-p...-147257/page3/
I'm starting to lose faith. do I have to do this for the left right headlight as in the picture? .I'm starting to lose faith. do I have to do this for the left right headlight as in the picture? .

Old 12-10-2021, 08:03 AM
New Members

I use the connection version shown in the picture below. Question, because I took out the plug from the AHL module and connected to this plug with the LM.
is this schematic correct? and do I have to add or remove anything else?

Old 12-10-2021, 08:29 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by Seba9009
I use the connection version shown in the picture below. Question, because I took out the plug from the AHL module and connected to this plug with the LM.

Where did you get that pin assignment from. Look at WDS, it has all the info. I will help you as much as I can. Write this down, as much as you can
Old 12-10-2021, 08:30 AM
New Members

Mine was harder as I did not have a AHL module.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:43 AM
New Members

Where did you get that pin assignment from. Look at WDS, it has all the info. I will help you as much as I can. Write this down, as much as you can
I have pin assignments from the Polish forum, but only that, but they agree with the pdf guide on the first page. I don't know much about the diagrams. do I still have to add or remove a pin?
Old 12-10-2021, 08:47 AM
New Members

I have pin assignments from the Polish forum, but only that, but they agree with the pdf guide on the first page. I don't know much about the diagrams. do I still have to add or remove a pin?
Are the PT Can Bus cables equal length?
From Pin 13 and 14, they must be equal length, twist them together.

I am having a look at the diagrams now.

Ignore my Pin assignment for the time being. That is for someone who does not have factory Adaptive lights
Old 12-10-2021, 08:53 AM
New Members

Are the PT Can Bus cables equal length?
From Pin 13 and 14, they must be equal length, twist them together.

I am having a look at the diagrams now.

Ignore my Pin assignment for the time being. That is for someone who does not have factory Adaptive lights
I will check and let you know
Old 12-10-2021, 08:55 AM
New Members

Seems like you have not followed all the instructions properly. There is one cable from each side that need to be disconnected, or removed. Just unplug them at the LM. And unpin them, tape them up. There is one cable each, from both lights that need to be grounded. Please read through the above and do as it states, make sure you are unplugging and plugging in the correct cables.

The AHL Fault should not be there. As you should code it out.
Your car is still looking for the AHL Module, you need to change the FA for the CAS and the LMA. Write FA to both Modules. The AHL Unit should not be there, and you should not have any codes for it either.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 E60 530d
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M57 218HP

@smartshah In no way I intend to hijack the thread but I'm really struggling and you seem to have quite an extensive knowledge on the way AHL works on these cars.
My thread: https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-p...trofit-152143/

It's a bit different from this one (since my car never had AHL to begin with) but maybe you'll be able to provide some insight. It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2022, 09:33 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: BMW e60

Originally Posted by madein
As probably many of you I have replaced my LM1 for LM2 for the AE DRL.

After I have paid and replaced the unit I noticed than there is something wrong and my Adaptive (Dynamic) Headlights are not working any more.

In my case I had the fault even before I was hoping to sort this out by this way.
Unfortunately it never happened.

As I couldn't find any information about this and there were no one to go this way I have started my little project and this is what I have found.

I did this myself just couple of day ago and I can confirm this is working perfectly as required.

I'm probably the first person to go this way, so please feel free to comment or ask and if there is something I have forgot, let me know.

All the car with AHL before #0305 are using extra modul dedicated to AHL, it is behind the glove box, this needs to be taken away and connected directly with the new LM2 module, in the attachment you will find the exact pinout and what to do to make it working.

There are missing signals for the Signal, braking force-dependent brake light
Pin 5 and 62 but with the information I found it was not use on pre LCI cars anyway, but if someone really needs that it goes to the rear light .

There is also missing wire on pin 11 (Parking lights) and my best guest is this is used for the LCI rear LED strips.
In WDS this is showing as for front headlight, but the pinout itself says it is pin 40

After the LM replacement I didn't have my RLS (rain and light sensor) working also, but after the modification it has start working as before.

There is also missing cable on pin 1 which goes to the RHS marker light, but all pre LCI have this as one single wire, but I would suggest to double the output
(connect pin 1 and 2)
Hi Madein,
I have the same your problem.
Now, I have read your PGD AHL unit removal and I am confused about the existing wires in the ALC plug.
The question is: shall I cut existing wires from the socket/ALC plug and link the new wires or
keep them as they are and just link new wires and back the plug on the ALC as before?)If I used the diagram on the PDF pined/link bellow link wires from ALC to LM

(What about the wires in the LM2 plugs:

Link the new wires with the LM2 current wires or

Remove current wires and add/Pin new wires in to the LM2 Plugs or

Just cut the current wires in the LM2 plugs and connect the new wires?)