DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011
Default AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes

As probably many of you I have replaced my LM1 for LM2 for the AE DRL.

After I have paid and replaced the unit I noticed than there is something wrong and my Adaptive (Dynamic) Headlights are not working any more.

In my case I had the fault even before I was hoping to sort this out by this way.
Unfortunately it never happened.

As I couldn't find any information about this and there were no one to go this way I have started my little project and this is what I have found.

I did this myself just couple of day ago and I can confirm this is working perfectly as required.

I'm probably the first person to go this way, so please feel free to comment or ask and if there is something I have forgot, let me know.

All the car with AHL before #0305 are using extra modul dedicated to AHL, it is behind the glove box, this needs to be taken away and connected directly with the new LM2 module, in the attachment you will find the exact pinout and what to do to make it working.

There are missing signals for the Signal, braking force-dependent brake light
Pin 5 and 62 but with the information I found it was not use on pre LCI cars anyway, but if someone really needs that it goes to the rear light .

There is also missing wire on pin 11 (Parking lights) and my best guest is this is used for the LCI rear LED strips.
In WDS this is showing as for front headlight, but the pinout itself says it is pin 40

After the LM replacement I didn't have my RLS (rain and light sensor) working also, but after the modification it has start working as before.

There is also missing cable on pin 1 which goes to the RHS marker light, but all pre LCI have this as one single wire, but I would suggest to double the output
(connect pin 1 and 2)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by madein; 03-29-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 645ci S '04

Thanks for these instructions! I also PM'ed you alread, but to keep the post and forum usefull for other members aswell I'll post my question here.

Do you think the pinout works on my 2004 E63 aswell? I am planning to do this workaround but I can't find the pinout for the E63. I was also wondering if you have a link on how to remove the glove box? I think it is the same for E63.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19

Originally Posted by bulletrs
Thanks for these instructions! I also PM'ed you alread, but to keep the post and forum usefull for other members aswell I'll post my question here.

Do you think the pinout works on my 2004 E63 aswell? I am planning to do this workaround but I can't find the pinout for the E63. I was also wondering if you have a link on how to remove the glove box? I think it is the same for E63.
It would be better if you check here:

WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - 5 E60 E61

The glow box was pretty easy, after taking the foot panel out you will see kind of hinges, few screws and that is all. Of course the bits from the top.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM
New Members

It is indeed easy to reach the AHL module under the glovebox. However the connector under the glovebox has more than 12 cables running to it, was this the same in your case? Do you think that some cables are unused? My car is 2004 645 also with adaptive xenon but the rear lights are LED.

Last edited by bulletrs; 03-29-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 AM
New Members

Well i checked the wiring diagrams for my 2004 645 and found out how to connect these to the LM2 module it is the same as your 5 series, but I can't find pins for the following:

Pin1 30G<70 0.75 RT/VI
Pin7 15WUP 0.35 RT/GN
Pin4 31 0.75 BR

By the way, in your document you swapped Pin 2 & 3... Pin 2 goes to 38 and Pin 3 to 37. Just to let you know.

Last edited by bulletrs; 03-29-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Members

Well i checked the wiring diagrams for my 2004 645 and found out how to connect these to the LM2 module it is the same as your 5 series, but I can't find pins for the following:

Pin1 30G<70 0.75 RT/VI
Pin7 15WUP 0.35 RT/GN
Pin4 31 0.75 BR
that is simple,
Pin 1 is the power - you don't need that any more as well as
Pin 4 gnd

Pin 7 wake up signal (15 basically 12V after the ignition) you don't need that also as all this are already in LM2

By the way, in your document you swapped Pin 2 & 3... Pin 2 goes to 38 and Pin 3 to 37. Just to let you know.
Thanks a lot, I have fixed that in my document and uploading this as we speak
Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Members

Guys, there is the trace file from my unit.

There is also point:

ALC_SG_VERBAUT (adaptive headlights (AHL) Control unit installed (by NCS Dummy)
set to nicht_aktiv in my case,

check that on yours and maybe just set this to aktiv will sort out the issues with the vertical control?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
FSW_PSW.zip (5.4 KB, 738 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by madein
that is simple,
Pin 1 is the power - you don't need that any more as well as
Pin 4 gnd

Pin 7 wake up signal (15 basically 12V after the ignition) you don't need that also as all this are already in LM2

Thanks a lot, I have fixed that in my document and uploading this as we speak

Thanks! One more thing, do I need to connect pin 10 (from ahl) or not? It seems pin 10 can go to pin 51 on LM2. Tomorrow i'm going to do this, today I prepared the cable . I''ll keep you updated!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Members

Thanks! One more thing, do I need to connect pin 10 (from ahl) or not? It seems pin 10 can go to pin 51 on LM2. Tomorrow i'm going to do this, today I prepared the cable . I''ll keep you updated!
I didn't run this cable, as the LM has already brake signal
Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 AM
New Members

Are you sure that the pins that go into the LM connector are partno 61138369696? Provided that BMW gave me the correct pins, they don't fit inside the LM connector...

Btw, how have you managed the cable on the driver's side? Behind the steering wheel rod? I can't seem to find a proper location to manage the cable somewhere. Maybe you have some pictures?

Quick Reply: AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes