DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

After market navigation system in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a 04' 545i without Navigation built in, I was told by the Dealer that it would not be possible to retro navigation into the dash. Has anyone had any luck installing the BMW navigation for an 04' 545i? Is the cost prohibitive?

Alternatively, I was curious if it might be possible to install an after market navigation system into the dash? Any thoughts or solutions are appreciated, thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. you can just use one of those portable aftermarket navigation systems. i forgot where the thread is but there was also actually one member who took out the whole idrive screen and made his own screen with navigation and everything else. sorry im no better help. enjoy the forums.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

You can do what I actually did, as my car did not come with the navigation and I did not want to spends thousands of dollars to install it. I custom fabricated a dash that replaces the factory center console. This eliminates the factory radio, I installed an aftermarket Kenwood Double Din indash with Navigation. Which sounds ten times better than the factory radio. as it has a much much better crossover.

The only problem is that the factory radio has to remain plugged in or the I-drive will not work, the factory screen wont turn on, and you can't control anything from the I-drive (ex. Climate). So i had to have the factory radio remain plugged in and reloccated it to underneath the steering colum (Very Very tight fit) and you also loose the steering wheel control and the control of the radio with the i drive as you are no longer using the factory radio but instead the aftermarket.

In addition you can hook up a rear view camera, as I did and you have DVD capabilities and all new indashes also play MP3.

I'll take some picture today and post them up.

Hope this helps!!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributors

Here Are Some Pics. When the screen is off it motorizes back and sits flush.
Attached Thumbnails After market navigation system in Dash-picture_230.jpg   After market navigation system in Dash-picture_232.jpg   After market navigation system in Dash-picture_233.jpg   After market navigation system in Dash-picture_235.jpg  
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='449274' date='Jul 18 2007, 10:08 AM
You can do what I actually did, as my car did not come with the navigation and I did not want to spends thousands of dollars to install it. I custom fabricated a dash that replaces the factory center console. This eliminates the factory radio, I installed an aftermarket Kenwood Double Din indash with Navigation. Which sounds ten times better than the factory radio. as it has a much much better crossover.

The only problem is that the factory radio has to remain plugged in or the I-drive will not work, the factory screen wont turn on, and you can't control anything from the I-drive (ex. Climate). So i had to have the factory radio remain plugged in and reloccated it to underneath the steering colum (Very Very tight fit) and you also loose the steering wheel control and the control of the radio with the i drive as you are no longer using the factory radio but instead the aftermarket.

In addition you can hook up a rear view camera, as I did and you have DVD capabilities and all new indashes also play MP3.

I'll take some picture today and post them up.

Hope this helps!!

Great job im doing the same thing! courtesy of marquiese
Attached Thumbnails After market navigation system in Dash-img_1283.jpg   After market navigation system in Dash-img_1284.jpg  
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Your is coming along nicely, I did mine a little different I took the factory radio of the dash all together and relocated it, I didnt put the screen on an angle, I just bought an indash with tilt features. Put up so pics when you are done, I'd love to see how it comes out. Good Luck>
Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='449501' date='Jul 18 2007, 10:33 PM
Your is coming along nicely, I did mine a little different I took the factory radio of the dash all together and relocated it, I didnt put the screen on an angle, I just bought an indash with tilt features. Put up so pics when you are done, I'd love to see how it comes out. Good Luck>

everything is almost done on my car just waiting to finish this and then tune up the system

rj
Attached Thumbnails After market navigation system in Dash-post_5104_1183498864.jpg   After market navigation system in Dash-post_5104_1183498309_thumb.jpg   After market navigation system in Dash-rons_280.jpg  
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributors

Dude, Kick Panels and trunk look sick, I'm also almost done doing my system, Im running an all Alphasonik Competition setup, I'll send you some pix when I am done.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='449494' date='Jul 18 2007, 08:05 PM
Great job im doing the same thing! courtesy of marquiese
I was thinking about doing the same thing RJ, but I don't exactly have the skill to pull it off. What navi unit are you going to use? I like how you left the cd player.

I was wondering it there was enough space in there to fit a navi unit.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='449534' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:42 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing RJ, but I don't exactly have the skill to pull it off. What navi unit are you going to use? I like how you left the cd player.

I was wondering it there was enough space in there to fit a navi unit.

Thats a 7" touchscreen Alpine TME M740bt unit, its gorgeous, i will be using the Alpine navigation unit its a little pricey at 1300 bucks on ebay but its one of the best navs out there.

Quick Reply: After market navigation system in Dash