DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

These questions might have already been asked, but can't find any reference here. How do you get rid of the error messages for the parking and high beam lights if you wire the Orion AE directly to the ECU ?

Second, they are many red/white wires in the ecu, which one to use? BTW I'm using the Harness from Umnitza. Thanks

Will
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Bueller?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i
Model Year: 2004

Anyone got "Parking Lamp Malfunction" left and right after doing this?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 AM
New Members

Hello guys. Do you have anny errors after that DIY?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
New Members

I am thinking of doing this mod too and after reading through the whole thread there are some things that are still a bit uncleared.

Some people are experiencing diodes being too hot, I was wondering if this relates to the type of angel eyes they are running? stock angel eye bulbs vs led angel eye bulbs? I currently am running the Umnitza's VXX led angel eye bulbs and would like to know if the 1N4003 200v diodes will work without overheating?

Also, for the people that have done in so their license plate lights come on as well, did you guys use the same diode?

I don't know a thing about wiring, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I was thinking about the similiar mod and found this thread after posting about the same idea. So I've read through most of the pages and looked at the diy already, my question still: so the AE (license plate lights/if also hooked up) will always turn on if one of the doors are open, or if I hit the interior light switch? as the source/trigger comes from the foot well light.

Putting a relay in can solve the issue if the car is running, but it still doesn't solve the issue if I'm just sitting in the car and decided to turn on the interior lights, but don't want the AE to switch on. Guess it's either on or off with the simple wire and diode connection.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: Bmw E60 530d

Hey guys . Im thinking to do the AE's as DRL.
My question is. Does the AEs get more bright if i use a relay, or Will it just be Like the parking light ?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM
New Members

LOOKING FOR SOMEONE IN THE SOCAL AREA TO WIRE UP MY 530i PRE LCI FOR AE ILLUMINATION AND DRL ANY TAKERS?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d E60 *///M Pack* CarbonSwartz

I know this is an old thread, but i just saw it and i think this is and utterly insane method of doing this simple job.

Wiring the whole car only to turn on angel eyes, and tail lights as welcome lights, and having Angel Eyes as DRL is not necessary and it can be done much much easier and cleaner using some logic:

All lights of the car are directly connected to the light module, and the light module is on the driver side footwell, just next to the driver's footwell light you are all using as 12v source, so... why the hell is someone going to wire around the whole car only to tap some wires when you have all of them together on the very same place?, The LM.

The process is the same as this tutorial, but instead of tapping wires directly from the headlights and taillights (with all the work it involves), tap the wires directly coming from the light module, they are the same wires, but at the other end. This way you only have to remove one single panel, and if you are handy enough, you could fit all the circuitry in a small box, put some connectors and make it plug and play.

According to WDS these are the interesting pin numbers we need:

Pin 9: 12v constant (50A fused) - You don't need this but it is useful for testing purposes
Pins 56 and 57: Ground - You don't need this but it is useful for testing purposes

Pin 2: Eyebrows (Left and right ones are connected to the same wire on pre-lci cars)
Pin 40: Right Angel Eye (Pre-LCI)
Pin 25: Left Angel Eye (Pre-LCI)

Pin 3: Left License plate light
Pin 49: Right License plate light

Pin 64: Left Tail Light
Pin 10: Right Tail Light

Pin 23: Rear Left Fog Light ---- You can wire a 12v to 5v ebay stepdown converter in between to make rear fogs light the same as when they are position lights.
Pin 67: Rear Right Fog Light /

Pins are numbered by rows in the light module white connector, but if you remove the white housing of the connector, they are all numbered individually.

Connecting footwell lights to these cables using scotchloks (with the corresponding diodes in between) should do the welcome lights job just fine. And if you take +12v from the cigarrette lighter and connect it directly (with diodes in between) to the cables coming from pins 40 and 25, you will have a fully working angel eyes as DRL.

I have LCI car, so it has welcome lights and DRL from factory, but this way, and making a custom circuit, i made a "coming home lights" like the Mercedes Benz have. When i left the car and even if i close it, lights stay on for 30 seconds (just like when you use the stalk, but without using it, and without xenons on)

Cheers.

Last edited by RoberMC; 04-08-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

Anyone in Nor-Cal that's still doing this ?

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car