DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530I

nigxdoof is a great guy helped me a lot with this mod he just mentioned, even though its not a DIY he sketched it out for us and you can always ask him and he will help you if he can. Great guy.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof
Whacha talking about??

I know its not a DIY, but it give the rough idea on how to do everything and how to wire it up.

Using DRL's and Using fade on and fade off angel eyes with a relay.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/968...st__p__1151275

Here is a quick diagram. Like I always say, ask questions if you have any.

Attachment 105920
This powers the eyebrow and the angel eye. If you tap these wires, you can power them on. Make sure you put a diode in between it.
Attachment 105919

Joe, a Diode is so the current doesn't go reverse in flow and cause problems / errors.
Don't quite understand why you're using relays... do you have LEDs in your AE's? LED's don't really fade in and out. when tapping into the footwell (they fade) the AE's should fade with the interior automatically but like i said LED's aren't quite made to fade so they'll fade a little and then shut off.

I don't think relays are required. it just complicates things. running wires and using existing wiring harnesses does the same job if it's wired correct
Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by schulrog
Don't quite understand why you're using relays... do you have LEDs in your AE's? LED's don't really fade in and out. when tapping into the footwell (they fade) the AE's should fade with the interior automatically but like i said LED's aren't quite made to fade so they'll fade a little and then shut off.

I don't think relays are required. it just complicates things. running wires and using existing wiring harnesses does the same job if it's wired correct
I use relays for DRL lights. The relay will activate once ignition is on, the power for the Angel eyes stay on constant. But once I turn off the ignition, it switches power to the footwell light. The relay is meant to keep the power seperate. And my Angel eyes do fade in and out, I have the Orion V2's.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

Originally Posted by nigxdoof
I use relays for DRL lights. The relay will activate once ignition is on, the power for the Angel eyes stay on constant. But once I turn off the ignition, it switches power to the footwell light. The relay is meant to keep the power seperate. And my Angel eyes do fade in and out, I have the Orion V2's.
When do you want to wire mine up? Haha that pic might as well be scribble to me... I'll make a donation to the "wifey ring foundation"
Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Ok.. I love that you used relays bc it makes it a little more interesting to me but I still don't quite understand the need for the relays.

PS for wire taps the part number is 64-037 from radio shack.

I know that to some relays might be confusing, so i wanted to keep this as simple as possible. Instead of using relays, wouldn't this setup have the same effect and be easier with less wiring?

With this setup, the AE's, eyebrows, tail rods and license plate lights would illuminate when unlocking the car.

When turning the ignition, only the AE's and eyebrows would be illuminated (AE as DRL) until the light switch is actually turned on.

Is that the setup you have or did I miss something?
Attached Thumbnails AE Illumination when unlocking the car-wiring.png  
Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Slightly different setup but the relay initially came with the Orion V2 setup. The harness umnitza provided gave most of the wiring. The extra wiring I did was routing the wires from the tails / license plate light. Figured since its used that way, just copy it from how Umnitza did it and viola. But you method does make sense too. I also only have the Angel eyes as DRL's. And the eyebrow / angel eye / tail rods / license plate turns on only when unlocking the car or turning off ignition of car.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Ohh ok that makes sense... if you already had all the wiring in place then using that is a no brainer.

So I got bored and decided to test it out. Here's the results

First pic is the 12V outlet for the passenger side cig lighter socket. Tap into the green and black (12V) then bring it across to the drivers side and tap into the already existing wire that runs to the AE's.

Checked everything and it works great. unlock turns on AE's. Turn ignition and AE's become DRLs. You have to make sure to follow the connecting points as i pointed out in my diagram including the diodes.

passenger side cig lighter socket tap needs a diode that has to go after the diode from the footwell light.

if you want tail lights etc. then you need to tap before the diode from the footwell light.
Attached Thumbnails AE Illumination when unlocking the car-dsc00833.jpg   AE Illumination when unlocking the car-dsc00834.jpg  
Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Contributors

Hey schulrog I tested nigxdoof way and your way both way works, the diode gets pretty hot though when its on for long period of a time.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Contributors

hmm i've been checking on em and they always seem cool to my touch... even after a 8h drive that I just did this weekend. What diode did you get? the 200V ones? If you wanna be sure just get the 400V or 600V ones and they shouldn't even warm up at all

Oh I know both ways work just fine but I think for someone who has no experience with relays, that it would be easier to just wire it up with diodes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Contributors

I used the http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2049725# maybe I should use the 1 amp diode then. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036269

It won't affect it at all right if I use a higher diode.

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car