DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC916
positive to positive but make sure the diode is facing the right way.
Do I put the diode on the ae wiring brown and white or on my harness? Do I need to put a diode on the negetive wire too?Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

just tape one end of the diode to the wire you want to light up which is the positive, then the other end you would attach a wire that runs through the wire you want it to light up like the angel eyes or eye brows. you dont need to do anything to the negative, by the way what are you trying to do? have it light up when door is open or on when you unlock your door?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Members

just tape one end of the diode to the wire you want to light up which is the positive, then the other end you would attach a wire that runs through the wire you want it to light up like the angel eyes or eye brows. you dont need to do anything to the negative, by the way what are you trying to do? have it light up when door is open or on when you unlock your door?
I have the umnitza harness for the drl's... It has a relay and also a tap to the ecu and the footwell. Then two wires going to the ae's.. I hid the hid figs my whole dash lights up fir a second.. It runs well... I'm just trying to rig the drl's and the lock and unlock. Unmitza gave me the harness for about nothing. So I'm stuck...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I did mine today:

Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

so do the AE come on if you turn on your interior lights?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Members

thanks for help. i figured it out, was not putting the right way. drls and closing and turning on the doors ee's fade also when door is open..Now the hards part how to route the wiring to the rods for the tailights and liscense plate light? any one with a picture or a explanation if a easy way?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by mvagusta
thanks for help. i figured it out, was not putting the right way. drls and closing and turning on the doors ee's fade also when door is open..Now the hards part how to route the wiring to the rods for the tailights and liscense plate light? any one with a picture or a explanation if a easy way?
how about running the wire to the headlight switch? to the parking lights? but if the headlight switch activates a relay for the lights, you wont get the fade.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
so do the AE come on if you turn on your interior lights?
I don't know. Does the footwell light turn on when you turn on the interior lights?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

Originally Posted by west
I don't know. Does the footwell light turn on when you turn on the interior lights?

yes and yes they come on with interior lights
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Contributors

holy crap... i don't check this thread for a couple days and it explodes lol... hope this was help for everyone.

PS: i've seen this questions a LOT... the diode has a little stripe on it going all the way around it. this stripe should be facing the direction you want the current to flow and it will block anything coming the other way.

Also, make sure you don't solder the diode too hot. this causes the diode to fail completely.

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car