DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until now, all questions are in the article, but are read over
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Thanks for all the info so far buddy you have been very helpful

I did fine tune my setup and the subs didnt distort
This time il be punching the connection from the subs rather than rear shelf

Which wire is + from the sub wire on underseat subs?

I guess il have to solder my wires to a rca connector rather than use a loc if that will cause any problem as my amp has a rca connection only
For input

Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BallyM5
Thanks for all the info so far buddy you have been very helpful

I did fine tune my setup and the subs didnt distort
This time il be punching the connection from the subs rather than rear shelf

Which wire is + from the sub wire on underseat subs?

I guess il have to solder my wires to a rca connector rather than use a loc if that will cause any problem as my amp has a rca connection only
For input

Thanks
I hope you understand your rca input is end of life when directly connecting to speakerlevel signal

LOC is necessary of cause for bringing down voltage (speaker level to line level)

And which wire is clear in the pictures, but only for pessenger seat, there are no driver seat pictures.
So simply go back from speaker connector to the cable bundle.

NOT solder wires to rca ! or you want your amp function as Christmas light for coming december
Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Thanks for the reply buddy

Il connect the passenger sub wires to a loc and to the amp

They all should be fine didnt know the amp would of messed up if i soldered the wires to a rca plug
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Members

a few more points i need to clear up....

you only need to tap one site?

this is my loc it has 4 channels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-Out-C...item2c670bc385

does this mean i can....tap both left and right front speakers under the seats and feed them to 1 amp powering 2 suubs? or 1 amp and 1 sub?

and use the other 2 channels to tap the rear parcel shelf speakers and feed that to another amp and connect that to some 6x9's

this thread is progression

need to know the remote turn on pin on rear os a MASK unit as well please because thsi line converter takes it from when the speakers are on and goes sleep when i lock the car and the amp goes off! ?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
New Members

ive recently performed this mod and thought id share a couple tips and observations.. it definitely makes a difference connecting to the under seat speakers rather than the parcel shelf speakers. i had originally spliced into the two rear speakers and connected them to my amp (it has high level speaker inputs) it produced a reasonable amount of bass but i could hear that it wasnt quite right. i could tell that the low bass was missing from certain music tracks. the sub was only beefing up the mid level bass. when i connected it to the under seat speaker the proper low level bass returned. so the speakers are definitely filtered.

when we removed the torx from the passenger seat we just slid the whole seat forward right into the footwell. that made enough room behind it to access the speaker.

the hardest part was figuring out how to get the wire into the boot (trunk) of the car! right PITA. the sound deadening on the bmw is ridiculous and ive had to turn the amp up to full, on previous cars i only needed it at 10% but its now producing a reasonable amount of bass and im pleased with the end result.

ive got a couple alpine sxe-1025s speakers in the parcel shelf which made a big difference too. they only cost £20
Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 black saphire bmw 528i

Im def gonna try this. Im gonna use one 15" mtx 9500 and a 3000 wat amp. Im also gonna use a capasitor. What im planning to do is get the remote turn on from the lighter in the trunk that way my amp doesnt drain the battery when the key is off. Im also gonna port the rear seat that way my trunk doesnt rattle too much and doesnt look like its gonna explode with the bass. I will post some pics as soon as i begin.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
New Members

During my installation i found out that it's not necessary to tap in to the woofers under the seat. Instead you can tap into the woofer signal in the trunk on the left conpartment. Both woofers receive signal from a little box, I believe its a crossover. By doing this you don't have to mess with the seats or worry about runing wires to the trunk, all the aftermarket woofer upgrade can be done in the trunk.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 535d LCI

Hi all im thinking of doing this mod and was going to tap into the subs under the seats. However i have just read your post Esechyito, What wires did you tap into? Any pics or more detailed information would be very much appreciated
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 AM
New Members

For sure let me take some pics and i will post them today. Sorry for the late reply.

Quick Reply: add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk