DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Add a Circuit in Fuse Box HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i

Has anyone added a add-a-circuit in the fuse box in the glove box? I plugged in the citcuit and my check engine light came on and stayed on. I am trying to power an accessory that pulls about 1/2 an AMP. What do you suggest I do. I do not want to go through the trouble of going straight to the battery and having to turn accessory on and off manually. What fuse do you suggest I pull and plu in the add--a-circuit? Thank god, my car had to go for routine maintanance yesterday and they mentioned that they had to program something in the car and the check engine light went off. ANyone have any experience? Circuit below.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=071-580
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Longsofty' post='798012' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:35 AM
Has anyone added a add-a-circuit in the fuse box in the glove box? I plugged in the citcuit and my check engine light came on and stayed on. I am trying to power an accessory that pulls about 1/2 an AMP. What do you suggest I do. I do not want to go through the trouble of going straight to the battery and having to turn accessory on and off manually. What fuse do you suggest I pull and plu in the add--a-circuit? Thank god, my car had to go for routine maintanance yesterday and they mentioned that they had to program something in the car and the check engine light went off. ANyone have any experience? Circuit below.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=071-580
Based on the rule V=IR
resistor should in 24ohm if want to draw 1/2 Amp under 12 voltage.

BMW OBC need to clear the code after code occured.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Please be warned that all power on the front fusebox is a T30 type output. What that means is that if you power a device from there your device needs to be 'smart' and understand the SLEEP command issues on the CAN BUS so that it stops drawing power, failing which you are going to return to flat batteries each morning.
The alternative is to tap power from a T30G output, this power output goes to sleep with the car, without the devices needing to do anything. There are T30G spare outputs only in the rear fuse box but some of the outputs are used in the front of the car for various devices like the sunroof etc. See my post on the Rear Camera for inspiration.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 AM
zen
Members

The top row of the fuse block (behind the glove box) is always "hot". The two five amp fuses in the top row on the right end are for the phone and the CD disk changer. You can take a "stakon" tab and stick it into the top slot next to the last five amp fuse. Then take a "inline" fuse holder and install it in the circuit. You can get a "ground" off of the mounting screw on the left of the fuse block. I have not had any problems and have this setup for over a year.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

Originally Posted by zen' post='798371' date='Feb 21 2009, 12:26 PM
The top row of the fuse block (behind the glove box) is always "hot". The two five amp fuses in the top row on the right end are for the phone and the CD disk changer. You can take a "stakon" tab and stick it into the top slot next to the last five amp fuse. Then take a "inline" fuse holder and install it in the circuit. You can get a "ground" off of the mounting screw on the left of the fuse block. I have not had any problems and have this setup for over a year.
If you can post a picture, that would be great.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
zen
Members

Originally Posted by Longsofty' post='798552' date='Feb 21 2009, 04:28 PM
If you can post a picture, that would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Add a Circuit in Fuse Box HELP!!!!!-fuse.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
zen
Members

NOTE: as I mentioned previously, this circuit is ALWAYS HOT.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by zen' post='798901' date='Feb 22 2009, 07:33 PM
NOTE: as I mentioned previously, this circuit is ALWAYS HOT.
And hence depending on how much power is drawn by the device you will return to a flat battery.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
zen
Members

He indicated that he planed on turning accessory on and off manually. I keep the Bluetooth on my phone turned on at all times and never had a dead battery and I only drive about 150 mi8lews a week. In addition when you have the phone setup in the center console, the five amp fuse feeds the circuit for the phone and it is always hot.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

If you read carefully he said he didn't want to turn his accessory on and off manually.

The phone set-up in the center console is a 'smart' device which turns itself off when the car goes to sleep. Try it : put your phone there and keep the armrest open and check if you see the phone charging when you switch and leave the car off.

Quick Reply: Add a Circuit in Fuse Box HELP!!!!!