DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

ACS Rear Roof Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='553880' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:55 PM
This is exactly what my body shop did, however they used these giant clamps with wood boards and clothes in between to allow it to set. They also heated up the roof spoiler to make it more pliable and easier to bend. The funny part was driving my car home with all the tape on it and letting it sit overnight. It was fugly.

As for the bonding agent, it's a must with these replica's. Otherwise, it doesn't sit properly and can easily come loose when washing. And of course, you don't want this thing flying off your roof when you're going 90mph down the highway. However, I do know of a few members that used tape only. I still don't know how it stayed on all this time.

Anyway, great write up! Thanks for posting.
Hi,
I'm not sure if I asked you this before but can you tell me what shop you went to? I'm in the NYC area and would like to get my roof and trunk spoiler installed.

Henry
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Thumbs down

Guys, here are the finished pix. Your comments are welcomed!

ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_001.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_002.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_003.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_005.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_006.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_007.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_008.jpg
ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-spoiler_install_009.jpg
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

If anyone is interested in ordering this for their rides, make sure you touch base with member CTC as they are also thinking of ordering from Delsa Motorsports. You could probably get a group rate discount going if enough are interested. Questions on install are easily handled by me or other members who have installed this themselves..rudeja, newreezy, etc...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Nav, Xenon and PDC

I put up a post in the Group Buy section of the Classifieds. Alex is willing to offer a group buy discount, depending on the quantity.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ctc1010' post='558581' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:01 AM
I put up a post in the Group Buy section of the Classifieds. Alex is willing to offer a group buy discount, depending on the quantity.
CTC -- I posted a notice in the DIY section also so that everyone could look at the emails I recieved from Alex. If you need to move this over to the Group Buy Section, that;s fine...just thought I would leave it close to the DIYs so everyone could get access to it!!!

S
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='553874' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:48 PM
AC Schnizter Rear Roof Wing Spoiler Install

Alright you guys...your long awaited wait has paid off. Big ups to all my fellow E60 members for help with this topic!

Equipment needed:

1. Two people [to accurately line up the spoiler]
2. Painters 3M Masking Tape [any gardware store, $4.00]
3. 3M Molding/Trim Tape for Cars [approx $10.00 at Autozone]
4. Silicone Adhesive [comes with spoiler]
5. Patience!

Estimated Time:

Variable for prep work but usually no more than fifteen to twenty minutes for total install

Spoiler Details:

I bought my ACS Replica Spoiler from Delsa Motorsports on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/DELSA-MOTORSPORTS-INTERNATIONAL.
The service and delivery were excellent. The spoiler was pre-painted to factory paint code for Orient Blue Metallic. Alex is the sales rep there
and if there are enough folk interested, we could get a group buy going!

This install covers only the ROOF spoiler. I will post the Tail Spoiler once I get that done...

Initial Package:

Attachment 47365
the spoilers came in one box and were packed very well

Attachment 47366
Unpacked, Spoilers side by side [roof spoiler is on top, tail on the lower side]

Installation Steps:

1. Take the Roof Spoiler to the car and actually play with the fit manually. You will need to leave a 3-5mm gap from the top of the
roof so that the rubber strip on the rear windscreen is visible. The spoiler has a little curve to it but this may not perfectly fit your
glass so make sure you identify your problem areas where the curve is not perfect to the glass;

2. Using masking tape, fix the spoiler to the glass by using vertical bands. This will allow you to adjust the spoiler up n down, left
and right until you get it just right. Then, VERY IMPORTANT, make a vertical line down the tape from one end to the other. Cut the
tape flush with the spoiler so that there is a piece of tape that continues to stick to it. This will allow you to re-align the spoiler to the
car in the position you had it when you have it glued/mounted and ready to roll. The original instructions reccomend making marks
on the spoiler and the roof, something I did not want to do....

3. The instruction manual reccomends using just silicone adhesive but I decided to be double-safe. Use 3M Molding Tape liberally in
the center of the spoiler from end to end. If nothing else, this is a good backup adhesive. Then, use the silicone adhesive in the grooves
around the perimeter of the spoiler... I did not sand or roughen the undersurface of the spoiler as was reccomended. This is a plastic
on glass surface install and I didn't think this was necessary for these two surfaces....

Attachment 47367
Left end [notice the groove around the spoiler, that's where the silicone gets dumped/poured into].
Notice the tape sticking out of the side. This will help me realign the spoiler when I place it back on the
roof.

Attachment 47368
Right end taped in parallel [notice the groove and the tape again sticking out over the side]

Center of the spoiler with gray moulding tape running down the middle of the beam [again, groove
around the upper and lower sides where the silicone goes]

Attachment 47369

4. Now, the most trying part. With your friend, flip the taped/glued spoiler over and align it around the UPPER SURFACE of
the rear windscreen along the vertical lines of the tape you had used in Step 2. Don't worry if you get it wrong the first time.
The tape doesn't bond immediately and neither does the silicone. Be patient and work with your partner to make sure both
ends are aligned perfectly.

Attachment 47371
Notice the gap on this end and the way the spoiler is taped down in multiple directions. The rubber should
just be visible without the glass being seen completely ~ 3-5mm

The same gap on the opposite side again, taped down tightly
Attachment 47372

5. Once you have it placed perfectly, get your masking tape out and tape the spoiler in place LIBERALLY! I found that if you
run the tape from the glass of the windscreen upwards to the roof, it helps to hold the spoiler in place as it tends to slide down.
Once you've got on enough tape, place weights on top of the spoiler to hold it down firmly [those medical text books were good
for something after all]. Sanbags like the one on the left work well for this. TIP: Be careful what you use to weigh this down --
you don't want something to fall and dent your body or crack your glass! Common sense but pay attention to this my friends...

SO...SERIOUSLY, use as much tape as you need to make sure this thing is pushed down and doesnt budge while it sets
Attachment 47370

Note the center is also weighted down on either side of the fin. Make sure you weigh it down equally on
both sides or else it will lift off the glass on one end and not bond/set nicely

Attachment 47373

VERY IMPORTANT
6. Allow a cure time for 24hrs. Do not drive your car during this time [trust me, my buddy didnt listen and now he has hell to pay for]. I am in the middle of these 24 hrs and will post pix once its all done.

And that's it! Remember, the most important part is to align perfectly, take your time and be patient!!!!! Enjoy!

I just installed a rear roof spoiler, I used liberal 3M tape, but no silicone. I left it weighted down for 24 hrs. The bond seems strong, but I have not driven it yet. Do you think it will be a problem without the silicone?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kram0326' post='565439' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:29 PM
I just installed a rear roof spoiler, I used liberal 3M tape, but no silicone. I left it weighted down for 24 hrs. The bond seems strong, but I have not driven it yet. Do you think it will be a problem without the silicone?
Kram -- there are many members who have done it without silicone and have not had problems. The spoiler was packaged with the silicone and the best method is to use both in my opinion. BUT...there are several folk who, like you, just used tape and have not had issues. Go out and give it a gentle few drives -- keep it dry at least 48hrs. If all is good, enjoy it and don't worry....
Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='554896' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:18 PM

They look so nice. I had the real ACS kits on my e39 540i and really want to save some money(or I should say a lot of money) from buying the ones from either delsa-motorsports or carking2001 from EBAY. I am wondering how many members from here purchased from them and would like to give us some input for the quality of the fitments for the spoilers(both roof and trunk spoilers). I have a hard time to make the final decision or I would already ordered mine.......

Do you have any pictures for how you installed the trunk spoiler?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

very nice job.
I see you have the same BMW bage as my.

ACS Rear Roof Spoiler-003_26.jpg
Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='565514' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:43 PM
They look so nice. I had the real ACS kits on my e39 540i and really want to save some money(or I should say a lot of money) from buying the ones from either delsa-motorsports or carking2001 from EBAY. I am wondering how many members from here purchased from them and would like to give us some input for the quality of the fitments for the spoilers(both roof and trunk spoilers). I have a hard time to make the final decision or I would already ordered mine.......

Do you have any pictures for how you installed the trunk spoiler?
KWang...there are pix for the roof and the trunk spoiler installs in the DIY. There are issues apparently with the Carking products -- look at the group buy thread in the DIY section where many members have been left with a bad product and no refunds. I can speak to my experience with Delsa to say it is a great product and I had absolutely no issues. There are other members who have bought from Delsa on this forum without any issues also.

Again, in the interest of complete disclosure -- I have no relationship with either of the two companies except for being a satisfied customer of Delsa Motorsports and my two ACS spoilers...

Quick Reply: ACS Rear Roof Spoiler