DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

530i Steering Wheel Trim Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

I had got my battery replaced last year and after that all my i-Drive service interval settings had been lost and reset. The dealer had to hook it up to a computer to get back the settings.

I am wondering if I disconnect the -ve terminal of the battery for changing the decorative plates, will I have the same problem of reset servive intervals and will I end up at the dealer paying $$$ to get it fixed.

Seems most folks didnt have this issue and got back their I-Drive service settings with no problem.
Wondering if someone has faced the problem I just mentioned and how they fixed it?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

You guys think this would look good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-08-BM...alenotsupported
Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Members

Did any of you guys hang onto your original silver or black steering wheel trim pieces? I just got a 2005 545i with triangular airbag and my metal trim pieces are all scratched up. So badly on the side that if I turn the steering wheel with my hand in the wrong place, I'll get cuts from the jagged metal pieces.

I'd gladly pay a few bucks for your unused steering wheel trim pieces as a temporary solution while I decide whether I want to go wood grain or not.

Let me know! I'd prefer silver to match the rest of the trim, but let me know what you've got.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome post! Will be doing this soon.
Raj
Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Thanks to the original poster Ching-Ho Cheng's detailed instructions and pictures, I completed this mod tonight. I picked the Ruthenium (brushed aluminum) clips to go with my interior trim. It is item number 4 here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E60/Seda...art_multifunct/

I noted all my I-Drive settings before disconnecting the battery. After the mod was completed and the battery reconnected I noticed the following:

Trip meter = 000.0
Avg speed = ---
Avg fuel consumption = ---
Time = --:--
Date = shows correct date
Navigation Address Book intact
Personalization settings (stored on key) intact
Active Steering Malfunction
Service Requirements generally intact (certain items such as Rear Brake Pads went from 15000 to 14000; since they countdown in 1000s, I not worried about it)

I set the vehicle clock to the correct time, found a safe and clear parking lot, drove in a circle and locked the steering wheel in that direction, then switched steering direction and drove in a circle in the other direction. Drove normally around the parking lot keeping straight and making normal turns. Shut off the engine, waited a few seconds and started it. No more Active Steering Malfunction. (I don't like to turn the steering wheel when tires are not rolling.)

Adaptive Headlight works, driver and passenger airbags show no error, horn works, multi-function buttons on steering wheel work, BMW iPod interface works, interior LED / RDash rear plate LED / MTEC v2 angel eyes work. All is good :)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Members

OR??

You could save yourself a bunch of cash and paint it yourself costing one can of paint and one can of laquer from bmw or your local paint shop.

I did this on my e46 but this will work on any bmw as the steering wheel parts are removable from the switches ect

Remove parts as per the posters instructions, remove all electrical switches ect from the parts you are spraying, rub down very lightly to create a key with very very fine wet and dry, spray a 3 or 4 coats and a couple of coats of laquer. re assemble - job done, does not chip away ect if done correctly.

I also (for the more brave out there) sprayed all the dash and door handle trim plates in the colour of the car so it all matched, you can get a flawless finish if you take your time and do it in a dust free enviroment (or try to minimise the dust)

low cost and a good project if your trim panels are looking tired or you want a change as we all know how much bmw charge for a replacement set!!!!!

Simon
Manchester UK
530d e60 saloon platinum grey 2004