DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

12V Power Supply

Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone please show me a place to get power from the battery around the glove box or near the rear AC?? I need a place to get always hot, and a place which turns off with the ignition off... I know this question have been asked a few times by the guys, but I'm not very good with the fuse stuff, so if anyone can provide step by step or some pictures, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch guys and sorry for a repetitive question...

PS: Had to share... Smoked an E240 last night... The E Class couldn't catch up with me since the start... E Class was my friend's car and he said that he floored his E Class and still couldn't catch up, I only accelerated a bit past half... BMW Power ALL THE WAY!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supply to AC control module or glove box lights are always on. To test the glove box light, open glove box and leave it there. Come back after 15 or 30 minutes to see if light still on. If it's off, computer shut down the supply to the light.
For supply of AC control module, I'm sure it's on all the time. It connects to power supply via 15A fuse in glove box. The Red/Green wire is positve, and Brown wire is ground.
For power which turns on/off with the ignition, grab from power outlet either under passenger footwell or center cigarette supply. You must use fuse to avoid fire hazard.

Best Regards
Old 05-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Originally Posted by my530i' post='289630' date='May 30 2006, 07:46 AM
For power which turns on/off with the ignition, grab from power outlet either under passenger footwell or center cigarette supply. You must use fuse to avoid fire hazard.

Best Regards
Huh, theirs a power supply under passenger footwell??? where about? Can anybody show a few pics or a diy for this mod? thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='289957' date='May 30 2006, 02:19 PM
Huh, theirs a power supply under passenger footwell??? where about? Can anybody show a few pics or a diy for this mod? thanks
Sure, there's the cig lighter. You can take switched power off that by splicing the wire (try to stay under 5-10 amps though).
Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='289957' date='May 30 2006, 04:19 PM
We, Amenikan, are lucky enough to have it under passenger footwell. It might not be the case for E60 in other country. For example, we have boot/trunk remote button by the hood latch, but European spec does not have it.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='289630' date='May 30 2006, 01:46 PM
Supply to AC control module or glove box lights are always on. To test the glove box light, open glove box and leave it there. Come back after 15 or 30 minutes to see if light still on. If it's off, computer shut down the supply to the light.
For supply of AC control module, I'm sure it's on all the time. It connects to power supply via 15A fuse in glove box. The Red/Green wire is positve, and Brown wire is ground.

Best Regards
I dont have the power outlet under the passenger footwell, is there anyway i can get it from the fuse box in the glove compartment? Which fuse do i use? How do i get power from the fuse? Please guide me a little bit more, I'm not very good with these electrical stuff... Thanks a lot.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributors

It's not easy to get power from the fuse. Get power from the center console cigarette lighter or the one in the rear. It's much easier.
I assume that you want both always-on and ignition-on powers. Time to remove dash woodtrim, central lock/hazard button, center dash trim, CCC/MAS-K, CCC/MAS-K frame/holder. The removal process is in order I listed. Once you remove all those, you can access to both power scheme that you want to tab to.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='290136' date='May 31 2006, 10:55 AM
It's not easy to get power from the fuse. Get power from the center console cigarette lighter or the one in the rear. It's much easier.
I assume that you want both always-on and ignition-on powers. Time to remove dash woodtrim, central lock/hazard button, center dash trim, CCC/MAS-K, CCC/MAS-K frame/holder. The removal process is in order I listed. Once you remove all those, you can access to both power scheme that you want to tab to.
Ok, I guess it is time to remove those trims, after avoiding to it for a long time. At the same time I guess I'll remove the glove box as well, to do the aux wire mod. So I guess same question again, how do you remove the glove box, which direction do i pull it, etc? Please guide me there too. Thanks for your patience with me ... thanks again for your help
Old 05-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='290389' date='May 31 2006, 08:37 AM
Ok, I guess it is time to remove those trims, after avoiding to it for a long time. At the same time I guess I'll remove the glove box as well, to do the aux wire mod. So I guess same question again, how do you remove the glove box, which direction do i pull it, etc? Please guide me there too. Thanks for your patience with me ... thanks again for your help
Removing the glove box is kind of tricky because there is a 'hidden' screw on the far lower-right that's easy to miss. Otherwise, it's just a matter of just unscrewing stuff and disconnecting stuff. If you want detailed instructions you should go to bmwtis.com and buy a subscription, or better yet go to eBay and search for BMW TIS CDs.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributors

There are 2 pair of screws on the bottom of the glove box that needs to be removed. Also, two suspension holding the glove box from dropping. Detach the suspension rivet with flat head screw driver by pushing it out from the smaller end of the plastic rivet.
That takes care of the glove box.
To further access the AUX cable, you can either unscrew AUX jack and fish it out. Or remove the whole black plastic cover by removing 7 or 8 screws. This is a pain to remove and put it back, but it'll give you a better access. It's your choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12V Power Supply