DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

'06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you fitted the lci rears did you use the retrofit cables ?

also when you coded the lm2 module did you code it first with a blank .man file ?

also thought pre lci and lci headlights had different wiring configs ? so the diagram by milko75 wouldnt apply to you
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

What errors do you have? If I remember correctly you need to swap a few pins on the LM2 for the AE if you're on pre-lci. I'm thinking you missed a step or two.

Check out my DIY to learn about adding/swapping pin's on the LM2.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...ahl-euro-spec/
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Here you go...check out page 14 and 15....I would also read through this to see if you missed anything else.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LCI_Conversion (1).pdf (1.07 MB, 812 views)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 Carbon Black 02/2006 Sport

Originally Posted by MORI3L
Here you go...check out page 14 and 15....I would also read through this to see if you missed anything else.
Hey 'hollow' ... yes I used the genuine retrofit cables for the rears. And I didnt use blank .MAN file as there is another procedure which I followed for coding LM2 without a blank .MAN via expert profile > pick ECU > change job > SG_codieren ... Yes you are right, wiring configuration is different, and I am still looking for LCI Bixenon Circuit diagram as per the PIN numbers and their functions. That part seems a little confusing, but still I am getting high/low beams properly, no issues with those.

well 'MORI3L' ... I properly followed the PDF instructions, swapped the PINS over on LM2 and double checked everything as follows:

Cars before 09/06 only.
Install light module T.
For all cars.
Dismantle plug X12 from the light module and reconnect
the cables as follows:
? pin 25, GR/GN, to pin 63
? pin 40, GR/BL, to pin 11
"THIS PART IS FINE"

Connect pick-ups to X12 as follows:
For E60 only.
? G3, WS/RT, to pin 62
? H3, WS/SW, to pin 5
"THIS PART IS FINE TOO"

'MORI3L' ... Now the post which you referred is for LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon conversion. Is that relevant to Pre Lci Halogen to LCI Xenon conversion or not? Because that post advised combining a few wires on the LM and the headlight, which is different than the PDF document instructions?

Well right now, I dont know whats worng, all wiring etc seems OK but all issues remain as mentioned in the above post (pls see the attached pics)!

Another question ... do we have same wiring setup (colour and number of wires) in all E60s for Halogen and xenon/Bixenon headlights? Is it any different in Pre LCI Vs LCI cars?

'hollow' and 'MORI3L' .... Here are some picks explaining errors and current state of the head and tail lights ...
Attached Thumbnails '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-inpa_lma_missingname.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-picture-001.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-picture-002.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-picture-003.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-picture-004.jpg  

'06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-picture-005.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-picture-006.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Yes the wiring is different in LCI and Pre-LCI. The PDF that I sent you is more relevant to Pre-LCI. As far as my thread...its mostly relevant to those who are already on the LCI platform and would like to simply upgrade to xenons.

I see that you are trying to upgrade with euro-spec non-AHL Bi-xenons. I think that you might be able to do some simple rewiring to get the front headlights to work correctly instead of using retrofit cables. Contact member BlaSTiWi as he has done the exact same retrofit that you're trying to do. As far as your rear lights...i'm not sure I can be of much help. But perhaps you can use bruce's cables for the back and simply re-wire the front.

What kind of LM2 did you install? The xenon one or the Halogen one? For the Non-AHL xenon's you can use Halogen. Not sure if a Xenon LM2 will work with your headlights.

I also notice you don't have the "Daytime Running lamps" option checked in your iDrive?

Lastly, those errors look like xenon was not added to the VO properly(Also wiring might be an issue too). You might want to double check this because the symptoms you are having are exactly the same as I had before I added Xenon to the VO.

Good luck bro!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Members

Thank you very much for your time and comments 'MORI3L' ...

I can now confirm that Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon Conversion is 100% possible with 0 Errors. No modifications (capacitors etc) required!

The BMW LCI Conversion PDF Document is a true document and can be used (with little additions and modifications) for Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon Conversion.

The following thread by 'MORI3L' is also applicable for Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon Conversion as well:

I have everything up and running fine, DRLs, Low/High Beam, indicators with normal speed etc, except the following:

1. Thumbwheel for manual headlight-range adjustment does not work as I dont know which PIN on the headlight and the wire control this function? Any ideas please?

2. With the DRLs, only tail light rods work and not the little round bulbs. Is that normal?

A prompt response will be highy appreciated.

Cheers Bro!

Yes the wiring is different in LCI and Pre-LCI. The PDF that I sent you is more relevant to Pre-LCI. As far as my thread...its mostly relevant to those who are already on the LCI platform and would like to simply upgrade to xenons.

I see that you are trying to upgrade with euro-spec non-AHL Bi-xenons. I think that you might be able to do some simple rewiring to get the front headlights to work correctly instead of using retrofit cables. Contact member BlaSTiWi as he has done the exact same retrofit that you're trying to do. As far as your rear lights...i'm not sure I can be of much help. But perhaps you can use bruce's cables for the back and simply re-wire the front.

What kind of LM2 did you install? The xenon one or the Halogen one? For the Non-AHL xenon's you can use Halogen. Not sure if a Xenon LM2 will work with your headlights.

I also notice you don't have the "Daytime Running lamps" option checked in your iDrive?

Lastly, those errors look like xenon was not added to the VO properly(Also wiring might be an issue too). You might want to double check this because the symptoms you are having are exactly the same as I had before I added Xenon to the VO.

Good luck bro!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tarlai
Thank you very much for your time and comments 'MORI3L' ...

I can now confirm that Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon Conversion is 100% possible with 0 Errors. No modifications (capacitors etc) required!

The BMW LCI Conversion PDF Document is a true document and can be used (with little additions and modifications) for Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon Conversion.

The following thread by 'MORI3L' is also applicable for Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Bi Xenon Conversion as well:

I have everything up and running fine, DRLs, Low/High Beam, indicators with normal speed etc, except the following:

1. Thumbwheel for manual headlight-range adjustment does not work as I dont know which PIN on the headlight and the wire control this function? Any ideas please?

2. With the DRLs, only tail light rods work and not the little round bulbs. Is that normal?

A prompt response will be highy appreciated.

Cheers Bro!
Which thumb wheel are you referring to...can you post a pic?

Also...regarding the taillights...the rods should be the only thing lit when your car is on...when your brake the bulbs behind the rods light up...I'm not really sure how to light up the rear fog lights if those are the bulbs that you're referring to?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Members

Which thumb wheel are you referring to...can you post a pic?

Also...regarding the taillights...the rods should be the only thing lit when your car is on...when your brake the bulbs behind the rods light up...I'm not really sure how to light up the rear fog lights if those are the bulbs that you're referring to?

Well I did a little research and the Thumbwheel option is available for the cars with Halogen headlights only. This is for manual headlight-range adjustment, as shown in pic (1). And the cars with Xenon/Bi Xenon dont have this thumwheel, as shown in pic (2), because they come with a sensor and have an auto headlight-range adjuster.

Now ... can I make the manual one work on mine (as I had halogens before and have this thumbwheel on mine) or do I need to install that headlight-range adjustment sensor to get the auto adjustment work. Any ideas on this one?

For the tail lights when only the DRLs are on, which one is a correct DRL function for the tail lights ... should the tail lights lit as shown in pic (3) or as shown in pic (4)?
Attached Thumbnails '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-thumwheel.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-thumwheel_bixenon.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-tail-lights-comparison.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

Regarding the taillights...the picture you have in diagram "4" is the correct configuration so you may be missing something. However, the round bulb is actually not lit..there is simply light passing through that section. If the bulb was lit (the rear fogs) it would be extremely bright. Check your taillights at night and see what it looks like. During the day it may appear to just be the rods that are lit..I'll check tomorrow myself.

As far as the thumbwheel goes...my configuration looks like the one in diagram 2 (but without any buttons on the right). It's weird because my car came with halogen headlights. That said, I wouldn't really be able to answer this question but I'll definitely look into it because now it's become something that I'm interested in improving myself.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
bkw
Members

Originally Posted by Milko75
Thanks from pics and reply.

I have already done this wiring exact like you have. But still SOMETIMES the car give error messages from parking lights. Usually error messages will come when I?m stay in traffic lights. When car speed is faster ? error messages disappear. For example I have 15 kilometer work trip and error messages will come about three/four times. I think all wiring is welldone and 90% error messages will come from left side..

Is there anything way to correct this problem or must I live with this?

Hi,

I am busy with this project but i keep getting the parking light malfunction..

How did you fixed this problem?

Can you guys help me.. I have done the steps like it was said.. And indeed most of the times when i am at traffic lights i get thos message.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap