DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

*HELP PLEASE* HID AFTERMARKET FOG LIGHTS INSTALL FAILED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I just purchased an E60 and really wanted to upgrade the fog lights to HIDs. As a result, my friend actually bought me the JD HID 9006 kit for my birthday. I installed both of the fog lights today and soldered both wires for each fog light and I know that there is absolutely not problem with the wiring contacts. However, it failed to work as both fog lights sometimes stay on, sometimes the right flickers, sometimes the left flickers, sometimes both flicker, and sometimes both don't work. It is completely random what each fog light decides to do and they may both or each be on for a few seconds then start to flicker like a strobe light. I'm super disappointed because they look great so I wanted to ask you guys if you knew what might be the problem? Also, the computer throws a fog light malfunction...sometimes for the left, sometimes for the right, and sometimes for both depending on what is happening that time with the fogs.

I thought maybe the ballasts were bad but I highly doubt that both of them happen to be defective. I know that its not the bulbs since they work fine. When I installed the left fog light first, it did the same exact thing with random flickering but I was hoping there was a current discrepancy in distribution so I thought that if I installed the right fog, the current would be equally distributed and the flickering would stop. But of course, I was wrong. So my greatest fear is that the ballasts and/or JD HID kit are just incompatible with the car in some way, shape, or form?

Any ideas anyone? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback...perhaps some of you might have been through the same thing and know the resolution to this issue?

Thanks in advance for all your time and help guys!!

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Members

Do a search in these forums for: fog flicker
or just get this
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='525858' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:08 AM
Do a search in these forums for: fog flicker
or just get this
Thanks so much ramyar for your feedback! Looks like it will solve the computer error message but will these HID capacitor set also solve the flickering as well? The auction listing didn't mention anything about solving the flickering just the computer error message. Please let me, thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by SIGMACHIGUY' post='525868' date='Feb 1 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks so much ramyar for your feedback! Looks like it will solve the computer error message but will these HID capacitor set also solve the flickering as well? The auction listing didn't mention anything about solving the flickering just the computer error message. Please let me, thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!
It solves everything. Its a great cable. I got this a while ago.

mK
Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Members

welcome... don't forget to post some picks when you get them hooked up
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='526064' date='Feb 1 2008, 04:55 PM
welcome... don't forget to post some picks when you get them hooked up
Thanks again guys! Is there another way to fix this without purchasing these? I did an archive search and someone posted a way to run another wire directly from the battery terminal to the fog light ballast. I can see that being less ideal though, more wiring hanging around in the engine bay. What do you guys think?!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SIGMACHIGUY' post='526130' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks again guys! Is there another way to fix this without purchasing these? I did an archive search and someone posted a way to run another wire directly from the battery terminal to the fog light ballast. I can see that being less ideal though, more wiring hanging around in the engine bay. What do you guys think?!
You can run wire direct from the battery and use a relay to close the circuit when you turn on your fogs. You will also need to add a resistor between the relay and the fog light wire so the computer will think it is pulling the correct current.

battery +
|
| Relay
X ----------------- Fog cable
|
|
Fog lights

(I'd like to think) I am very mechanically and electronically inclined, and yet I would never attempt this unless there was absolutely no other way to do it. I'd say, save your self alot of time and possible grief (bad wiring = ugly = fire = very expensive lesson) and spend the 25 bucks for the harness.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='526147' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:54 PM
You can run wire direct from the battery and use a relay to close the circuit when you turn on your fogs. You will also need to add a resistor between the relay and the fog light wire so the computer will think it is pulling the correct current.

battery +
|
| Relay
X ----------------- Fog cable
|
|
Fog lights

(I'd like to think) I am very mechanically and electronically inclined, and yet I would never attempt this unless there was absolutely no other way to do it. I'd say, save your self alot of time and possible grief (bad wiring = ugly = fire = very expensive lesson) and spend the 25 bucks for the harness.
Yea, I'm going to have to definitely side with you RAMYAR! Thanks for all the help and input, I really appreciate it man! I'm sure this topic has been brought up many times but I just upgraded from the Honda Accord/Toyota 4Runner tier to the E60 tier so I'm new to all this BMW euro stuff so thanks for your help and patience!

I just ordered those HID cables from that link you had hyperlinked so when they get here, I'm going to throw them on and let you know how it worked out! I can't wait for them to get here! Those cables connect from the stock car fog light cable to the ballast of the HID kit right? That is the HID computer cancelling cable I just ordered sits where the "relay" sits on your drawing/illustration above ya?!

Thanks sooooooo much!!!!!!!