Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

YES!!!....I'm a clay man!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxterxx' post='593473' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:57 AM
im planning to buy the same clay kit frm meguiars...

it comes with the white clay right?

whats ur car colour?

im afraid of marring my jet black

Same as Brit in NJ said....loads of lube, then you'll have no problems.

Yes the clay is white colour, i couldn't believe how much crap came off of the car onto the clay!!

Mines Platinum Gray and that's quite a dark colour and i had no probs.
I probably used a little too much lube because when i'd finished i'd used nearly half a spray bottle!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='593515' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm due to pop my clay "cherry" soon too. Thanks for the reinforcement!
Haha....be strong my friend, it'll all be over before you know it.....er.....popping your cherry i meant!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I clayed my last car for the first time, after washing it very well first. It made the finish seem great after words, very smooth like glass. However I noticed a few weeks later it looks like my paint had scratches on it. I don't know if this was caused by the clay or not but to be honest I'm afraid of that happening on my new car.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='593693' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:28 AM
I clayed my last car for the first time, after washing it very well first. It made the finish seem great after words, very smooth like glass. However I noticed a few weeks later it looks like my paint had scratches on it. I don't know if this was caused by the clay or not but to be honest I'm afraid of that happening on my new car.
I only clay when I have to. I had some sort of over-spray on the trunk, part of the roof and rear fenders. Clay worked great. I used most of the lube just on those parts and you want to float the clay back and forth so it hydroplanes on the lube (no pressure). It can leave scratches if: you let the clay get too dirty, too much pressure or not enough lube...

As far as the clay getting dirty, I kneaded it quite a bit, but have no idea how often yo need to knead it or when the clay is to dirty and you need to throw it away. If I pick up a big contaminant then I pinch of that piece of clay before kneading it...

SO, anyone know how often you need to knead and/or replace?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Mr Five' post='593391
I'm due to pop my Clay "cherry" soon too.
Originally Posted by Mr Five' post='593546' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:07 AM
Same as Brit in NJ said....loads of lube, then you'll have no problems.
I probably used a little too much lube because when i'd finished i'd used nearly half a bottle!
This Clay Aiken fellow certainly gets around!

Just Kidding!! Congrats on your detailing work.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='595602' date='Jun 4 2008, 03:49 PM
I only clay when I have to. I had some sort of over-spray on the trunk, part of the roof and rear fenders. Clay worked great. I used most of the lube just on those parts and you want to float the clay back and forth so it hydroplanes on the lube (no pressure). It can leave scratches if: you let the clay get too dirty, too much pressure or not enough lube...

As far as the clay getting dirty, I kneaded it quite a bit, but have no idea how often yo need to knead it or when the clay is to dirty and you need to throw it away. If I pick up a big contaminant then I pinch of that piece of clay before kneading it...

SO, anyone know how often you need to knead and/or replace?
I pinch off any large contaminant too. I read somewhere to knead after every body panel, but I don't think you can knead it too much, it all depends on what and how much it's picking up off the surface. If one pass over the surface picks up the contaminant then the next pass will trail it over your clean smooth surface potentially causing scratches. I think that's more likely to happen if you don't use enough lube or you increase pressure pushing the clay bound contaminants against the paint. If the clay is soft enough it should allow the contaminants to sink into the clay preventing them scratching which is part of the reason you need to knead

I haven't noticed scratches caused by clay before but you should probably polish those out before applying wax if there are some, though I tend to own light colour cars.

I haven't had enough time or the right weather to do the whole car yet, I know I have some scratches I need to sort out.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

do you guys use dishwashing soup to get rid of the old wax before claying?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='596590' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:01 PM
Nope, I don't. Works fine and I wax with Klasse AIO once to twice per month and after the clay of course.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='596590' date='Jun 5 2008, 07:01 PM
I didn't, just washed it with my normal car wash detergent.

I did use the 2 bucket method for the first time though, i kept rinsing my micro fibre wash mit in between using the suds.
I checked the bottom of the rinse bucket after i'd finished.....couldn't believe the amount of grit and crap that was in there!!!
Previously i'd have unknowingly rubbed that all over my paintwork!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by Mr Five' post='593391' date='Jun 2 2008, 12:35 PM
Yes.....i've finally done it, i'm no longer a clay virgin!!!

I have to admit that over the past few weeks i've been reading all about you guys claying your rides.
And truth be told i thought it was all hype!.....i was wrong!

My E60 is 5 months old, i thought the paint finish looked fantastic and couldn't be improved, i was wrong again!

I bought Meguiars clay kit, washed the car and went for it, i couldn't believe how easy it was and how much crap
was stuck to my paintwork. i clayed the whole car to a slippery smooth finish.....unbelievable!

Hand polished and waxed, i noticed after claying how much easier the polish and wax went onto the car.

This morning my car sits in the company car park surrounded by clean but dull cars.....mine gleams!!!
On the down side....it's due to rain soon!

If anyone reading this is still undecided......do it!!!

P.S. I know this thread is worthless without pictures.....but have a heart, it was nearly dark when i finished last night
and i thought my arms were going to drop off. Pics soon i promise.
Congraaaats... Please let me know the Meguiars product you used. also post

Quick Reply: YES!!!....I'm a clay man!