Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

when to polish?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a new car, can you polish the paintwork straight away or do you have to wait a few weeks/months?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well on a new car it shouldn't need polish.. because polish restores shine on a car that has been faded, its sorta like applying lotin on skin.. but i am sure the car does not need polish as of yet.. you can polish theres no damage that will be done by that.. but i would not wax for a week or two becuase wax seals the paint and new paint needs to properly cure for an ensured finish an wax will prevent that
Old 07-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Members

Contrary to popular belief, you can wax and or polish a new car. All factory paint is baked inhouse, and I seriously doubt your dealer didnt apply some sort of protection prior to your delivery. Most dealers have a detail shop outside on the premises somewhere. Feel free to polish if need be. Polishing (depending on products used) will remove light contamination, and light swirls/scratches induced by improper washing (dealer), and prep work. What type of products do you have lined up ?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Ya the wax theroy is right... but i sitll don't see why it would be nessasary to polish a new car.. the paint should be prefect right now.. in a month or two I can see but there should be no imperfections that you would need polish
Old 07-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jul 17 2005, 09:52 PM
Ya the wax theroy is right... but i sitll don't see why it would be nessasary to polish a new car.. the paint should be prefect right now.. in a month or two I can see but there should be no imperfections that you would need polish
[snapback]150164[/snapback]
Could very well be Ham, we'd all like to take delivery with beautiful paint !
But, between rail or boat delivery, chances are theres some debris on there, and I doubt the dealer clays all their vehicles.....It may not need it, I just want to assure E60 hes ok, to polish and seal.......And if you do clay, you'll probably need to polish......
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Senior Members

After some research, I did a Clay, Polish and Wax when the car was about a month old.

I did the polish and clay to make sure I got the surface prepped as well as I possibly could, and I knew I cared more about the results than some guys paid by the dealer to clean cars every day of their lives.

See results here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...l=Meguiar's
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by exceldetail' date='Jul 18 2005, 01:23 AM
Could very well be Ham, we'd all like to take delivery with beautiful paint !
But, between rail or boat delivery, chances are theres some debris on there, and I doubt the dealer clays all their vehicles.....It may not need it, I just want to assure E60 hes ok, to polish and seal.......And if you do clay, you'll probably need to polish......
[snapback]150172[/snapback]
Nah I see what you mean.. I know you car may not be perfect on delivery I am just of the mind that polish isn't needed on a new car nor having to be clayed now in a month or do by all means... but since the paint is like brand new the contaminants should not be so severe that polish are clay need be used rather just a good wash followed by a coat of wax.. BUT if there are imperfections that you already notice then yes go ahead with it.. but the only point im trying to make is new car should have no imperfections because well..ITS NEW... im not arguing with ya man just my experience with cars
Old 07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:22 AM
[quote name='exceldetail' date='Jul 18 2005, 01:23 AM']Could very well be Ham, we'd all like to take delivery with beautiful paint !
[snapback]150172[/snapback]
Nah I see what you mean.. I know you car may not be perfect on delivery I am just of the mind that polish isn't needed on a new car nor having to be clayed now in a month or do by all means... but since the paint is like brand new the contaminants should not be so severe that polish are clay need be used rather just a good wash followed by a coat of wax.. BUT if there are imperfections that you already notice then yes go ahead with it.. but the only point im trying to make is new car should have no imperfections because well..ITS NEW... im not arguing with ya man just my experience with cars
[snapback]150278[/snapback]
[/quote]