Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Wheel Care made (ridiculously) easy!

Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Daily Driver
Default Wheel Care made (ridiculously) easy!

It really doesn't get any easier than this....

What you need:
  • A hose with running water
  • A clean wheel
  • CarPro Hydro2 diluted 1 part Hydro2 to 3 parts water
  • A spray bottle

Both Permanon and CarPro Hydro2 use unique technology that allows for a semi-permanent coating to attach to a subject using water as the medium. Never before has protection been this easy!

With Permanon you get a better dilution ratio. Permanon Diamond Finish retails at $225.99 per liter. When diluted at a 5% ratio, you end up with 21 liters of Permanon for $231.99 (counting for the cost of distilled water), for a cost of $11.05 per liter, VERY CHEAP. Compared to CarPro Hydro2 it doesn't last as long (8 weeks vs. 12-14 weeks in my experience) but it is more forgiving to streaking and application.

CarPro Hydro2 comes in at $119.99 per liter and dilutes with 1:3 with water. Including the cost of water, this gives Hydro2 a more expensive price of $31.24 per liter (4 total liters). However it does last longer and seems to provide more protection as well. It is a little trickier to apply.

Easy as 1-2... well 1-2.

Starting with a clean (and wet wheel)...

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  373.7 KB

In this test I used Hydro2, diluted with 3 parts water to 1 part product. To demonstrated the difference, I only sprayed the left side of the wheel.
Step 1, spray onto wheel, into the barrels, and brake caliper.

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  313.9 KB

Allow to dwell for a handful of seconds, then do step 2. Rinse (yes seriously, that's step 2).

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  376.0 KB

To demonstrate the difference, look at the left side after rinsing vs. the right side. Both sides are wet.

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  84.6 KB

Just like that you can valuable protection (with Hydro2 you can except several months of protection on wheels) in just seconds. And because both products apply using water as a medium, just the act of blasting it will spread the product into areas that are very difficult to reach otherwise.

The benefits of a protected wheel are:
  • Much easier to clean
  • Much more resistant to damage caused by the iron contamination in brake dust
  • Wheels will appear shinier
  • Wheels will stay clean, longer

Because of technology, a few mists every few months are all that is needed to keep any wheel finish looking great.

*Note- Do not worry about overspray on brake rotors. The scrubbing action of the pads will clean off any coating in mere seconds. That said, I have not applied any Permanon product or CarPro Hydro2 to any vehicle with carbon-ceramic brake rotors. These rotors tend to be porous and can absorb product, proceed with caution.