Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

What's the best way to clean a style 135M set of wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I spent about 1 hour just trying to get my new wheels clean today! I used a cotton polish sock soaked in car shampoo to get between the narrow spoke spaces. What luck I applied Rejex on these before putting the wheels on.
Anyone else have a better idea to wash and clean these wheels faster. I would imagine even the Style 172M would have the same issues.
The wheels look great but keeping them that way is such an effort I almost regretting getting them.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The best advice I could give is to clean your wheels often, with a cleaner like P21S.

When I first got my car, I made it a rule to clean my wheels every evening, when I returned home from work. The process took only 1 minute. I simply sprayed P21S on the wheels, and washed off with a hose.

By doing this every day, the wheels were cleaned before any serious dust buildup occured.

The wheels looked like the day I bought the car.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='300418' date='Jun 20 2006, 08:10 PM
I spent about 1 hour just trying to get my new wheels clean today! I used a cotton polish sock soaked in car shampoo to get between the narrow spoke spaces. What luck I applied Rejex on these before putting the wheels on.
Anyone else have a better idea to wash and clean these wheels faster. I would imagine even the Style 172M would have the same issues.
The wheels look great but keeping them that way is such an effort I almost regretting getting them.
Hard work thats the price we pay.....on the polish thing I use the same polish as I use on the car I believe the 'special' wheel cleaners are a rip off just like tar remover is when petrol does the same job for a fraction of the price. but there's no easy way
Old 06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='300418' date='Jun 20 2006, 02:10 PM
Go to Halfords, they have various sizes of wheel brushes. I found 2 perfect ones for cleaning my 172's. With the brushes it only takes a few minutes on each wheel.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='300980' date='Jun 21 2006, 09:11 PM
Go to Halfords, they have various sizes of wheel brushes. I found 2 perfect ones for cleaning my 172's. With the brushes it only takes a few minutes on each wheel.
Exactly use brushes. I use a smaller narrow one for the spokes and a bigger one for the whole rim that can easily fit between the spokes in the space behind the spokes. ANd i use Sonax gel rim cleaner. It does magic. A few pufs on each wheel and it does wonders with it removing everything, without too much rub.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='300980' date='Jun 21 2006, 07:11 PM
Did this and found a thin conical Halfords brand brush which when very well into the thin gaps.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryId=31485

The bigger gap was cleaned with a normal sponge. This time the job was much easier but the Halfords brush is rubbish. I lost a lot of bristles in the process. Any better UK brand that is the same size?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

I would reccomend a alloy wheel sealant. I applied a few layers to my wheels and its so much easier to clean now.

My alloys are very difficult to clean as they are 2pc 10 spoke alloys. Now i can just blast the dirt off with a high pressure hose. Before it was 10mins on each wheel with a brush.

Have a look at this thread, i use the same sealant

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread...ghlight=sealant
Old 07-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='300418' date='Jun 20 2006, 09:10 PM
One hour?! Did u clean them with a toothbrush or what?
I dont use any spray or wheel cleaners nor do i clean them every day or week. Just once a month with hot water and soap. (the stuff u do your dishes with).
I use a small towell and a big one (its not called a towel i think but i hope u understand what i mean). The small one i pull through the spaces while moving them from side to side. The big one does the rest of the wheel. Use lots of soap and very hot water. Takes about 5 minutes per wheel max.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525d' post='306751' date='Jul 4 2006, 12:42 PM
Now i can just blast the dirt off with a high pressure hose.
With the current UK hose pipe ban and watching neighbours?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='306540' date='Jul 3 2006, 06:33 PM
Did this and found a thin conical Halfords brand brush which when very well into the thin gaps.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryId=31485

The bigger gap was cleaned with a normal sponge. This time the job was much easier but the Halfords brush is rubbish. I lost a lot of bristles in the process. Any better UK brand that is the same size?

I have the same brush with the exact same results!!!!!!! Lost half the bristles on the first wheel!!!!!
I don't believe there is any substitute for time and hard work!!!!

Quick Reply: What's the best way to clean a style 135M set of wheels