Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

What to use on what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Thumbs up

...and realized that I'm such an amateur at this

Ok, so I have some manner of leather cleaners and conditioners (the latter I'm kind of apprehensive to use, prolly will just clean for now) - I don't remember the brands now, but they are decent and trusted from my Audi days when I had beige leather (eww ).

What baffled me is the variety of materials - the upper part of the door trim - is it vinyl or leather? What to use for cleaning it? How about the upper dashboard?

Can I use soap/water mix for cleaning the plastics?

I have a lot of scuffs (as it turns out) on my girlfriend's side of the car from heels and crap (all over - she's so getting punished for this!!!) - what to use to take out all the scuffs and stuff?

The rubberized coated plastic - what to clean that with?

Man, I don't even know what to use on the coffee stains on the carpet! (again, on my girlfriend's side of the car!!!) they are small, but now that I know they are there, I can't relax until they're gone...

So what do I do? Give up?! NOOOOOOO! I go to search through the forum. what did I find? nothing much... odd stuff here and there, but for the life of me could not find specific answers to my above questions. So here I am - like a shameful lil' noob - which I, apparently, am - asking these silly-ass questions waisting all of y'all's time... but hey, I do appreciate the help

Love this forum!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

so far found these two really helpful articles:

Nice article for nooB detailers

ANOTHER good article
Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

As per the doors, the only part that is leather is in the middle. The tops of the door and all around it are vinyl. I wouldn't use soap and water because you don't want to get excessive water on those panels.

I would suggest getting some Autoglym Interior Shampoo. It's very safe, and very effective. You can use it to clean the scuff marks off the door with a MF towel, to clean the coffee stain with a good scrub brush, this product does everything. You can even spray it on the leather on the door panels if they're really dirty. But I prefer to use a dedicated leather cleaner and conditioner for that.

Autoglym Interior Shampoo $9

Best interior product i've used yet. Just make sure you go over all it with some protectant after
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='938271' date='Jul 10 2009, 05:30 AM
...and realized that I'm such an amateur at this

Ok, so I have some manner of leather cleaners and conditioners (the latter I'm kind of apprehensive to use, prolly will just clean for now) - I don't remember the brands now, but they are decent and trusted from my Audi days when I had beige leather (eww ).

What baffled me is the variety of materials - the upper part of the door trim - is it vinyl or leather? What to use for cleaning it? How about the upper dashboard?

Cleaning: Try using distilled water first. If that doesn't prove successful move to something liek P21S Taw with a dillution of 8 parts water and 1 part TAW. Protecting: 303 Aerospace Protectant or 1z Einsett Cockpit Premium for matte look and Poorboys Natural Stuff or leather stuff for gloss.

Can I use soap/water mix for cleaning the plastics?

Yes you can. Use a mild combination ie. high ratio or water to soap.

I have a lot of scuffs (as it turns out) on my girlfriend's side of the car from heels and crap (all over - she's so getting punished for this!!!) - what to use to take out all the scuffs and stuff?

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser or you can try P21S Taw followed up for 303 Aerospace to protect.

The rubberized coated plastic - what to clean that with?

P21S TAW and if rubber and plastic is faded grab black wow or your favourite trim restorer.

Man, I don't even know what to use on the coffee stains on the carpet! (again, on my girlfriend's side of the car!!!) they are small, but now that I know they are there, I can't relax until they're gone...

For coffee stains if you don't have a steamer try a spot cleaner like Folex. You should be able to find Folex at your local hardware store like Home Depot, Rona or Lowes. Just call in.

So what do I do? Give up?! NOOOOOOO! I go to search through the forum. what did I find? nothing much... odd stuff here and there, but for the life of me could not find specific answers to my above questions. So here I am - like a shameful lil' noob - which I, apparently, am - asking these silly-ass questions waisting all of y'all's time... but hey, I do appreciate the help

Love this forum!
Hope that helps. Oh also be sure to vacuum the areas before trying to wipe down with a cleaning solution and protectant. PB's leather stuff and natural stuff is a two in one cleaner and conditioner. It is very mild and if you like the sheen look then it's a very good one step product.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I agree with Nikku too. P21S TAW (Total Auto Wash) is an awesome product. It can be used to pre-clean the outside of the car or diluted to whatever your cleaning needs are. It's kinda pricey, but you get what you pay for.